Tidbit on Solitude 310-GK GVWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidbit on Solitude 310-GK GVWR

First the normal disclaimer: NOTHING can be done to change your vehicle's GVWR after it leaves the factory. It defines your legal capacity.

At the Quartzsite Rally last week (2 weeks ago? time flies...), during the "Ask GDRV" session, a GDRV person stated that the 310-GK's GVWR of 15,000# is an artificially lowered rating so that California owners do not need to get a commercial driver's license. In chatting after the talk, he stated that there is another Solitude with the same frame and suspension (10" rails front and back) with a 16,000# GVWR. I have lousy connectivity here on the desert, so I haven't done the search to find that model number, sorry. I should have asked, but didn't think to, would it be an option to get a real GVWR sticker on a 310 instead of the artificially lowered one when ordering from the factory? One wonders...

To slightly OT my own post, he also said that they were moving to 8K axles as standard on the bigger Solitudes with the raised rear living area and storage beneath, and that 8K would be available as an option on the smaller Solitudes instead of the standard 7K suspension.

Second Chance Rob: you might want to call and see about the GVWR sticker... Hmmm, wonder what they'll do with your "from the factory" IS as far as the sticker goes?
    -Al
    Last edited by lobsters; 01-20-2020, 11:04 PM. Reason: Tag Second Chance
    Al and Kathe
    :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
    2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Al - great information and really good to hear. Interesting that at the National rally in August some of us talked with Jerry McCarthy about 8K axles. I recall his comment about doing so is a whole different animal and several issues would need to be addressed to do so. Jerry did share a few general reasons but I do not recall the specifics. None seemed like a big deal in my uneducated mind. Apparently the thinking is more mutual now for various reasons I suspect.

Nice to see you and Kathe make it over to this sandbox ! Like you there have been a few of us change forum names over the years.

Dan

Mod Edit: Changed name from Gerry to Jerry. (Jim)
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 01-21-2020, 10:25 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
    X