Tire balancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire balancing

As we all know, Grand Design/ Lionshead does not balance wheel and tire assemblies. Spending many years around vehicles where balancing always was done, and imbalance could be felt by vehicle occupants. Of course our RVs don't let us know what's up. 2 weeks ago I decided to repack wheel bearings, and took tires to a shop with a Hunter Smart Weight balancer. Of course I needed help putting wheels in my truck, they are at least 100 lb. ON the balancer they were at least 5 oz. out. From many years in the profession, I KNOW the fifth wheel will ride much more smoothly.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL S-Class

Hi Steve . . . good to hear from you !

Anything that rotates can benefit from being balanced . . . as we both know.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I always balance my trailer tires. Some shops ask why...
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by steve gravelle View Post
        As we all know, Grand Design/ Lionshead does not balance wheel and tire assemblies. Spending many years around vehicles where balancing always was done, and imbalance could be felt by vehicle occupants. Of course our RVs don't let us know what's up. 2 weeks ago I decided to repack wheel bearings, and took tires to a shop with a Hunter Smart Weight balancer. Of course I needed help putting wheels in my truck, they are at least 100 lb. ON the balancer they were at least 5 oz. out. From many years in the profession, I KNOW the fifth wheel will ride much more smoothly.
        I don't have objective data to prove it, but with Centramatic Dynamic Wheel Balancers this is one issue that I don't have to think about. Full story here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-a-19-315rlts

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Much of the my interior vibration-related damage/issues went away once I started having the wheels balanced. Behooves me why this isn't part of the build/spec process.

Mike
          Mike & Sonya
          2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
          Blue Ox SwayPro
          2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

A couple of months ago I had my local tire shop mount my new GY Endurance tires on the rims. When I dropped the trailer off I asked for them to be mounted and balanced. When I picked them up, they were not balanced. When I asked why they indicated the wheels came in with no weights so they assumed I did not want them balanced. $80.00 later they were balanced. To be fair, this is my first fifth wheel, having always had motorhomes, but I was confused...why would you not balance a trailer tire??? Would this not lead to possible bouncing, vibration, cupping, uneven tread wear on what are now fairly expensive tires? I readily admit I am a trailer rookie, but this one surprised me.
            BradF
            2016 Reflection 27RL
            2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Comment

BradF

Unlike a motor home, you can’t feel what is going on in a towable RV from the driver’s seat of the truck. (Despite what some claim when they make trailer suspension changes ). “Not balancing” the trailer tires saves a few dollars and doesn’t change the towing feel from the driver’s seat . . . so many (most ?) don’t bother. I think we agree that anything that rotates (and the load carried) will benefit from being balanced.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob; certainly agree!
                BradF
                2016 Reflection 27RL
                2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

Comment

Working...
                X