Wheel Bearing Grease suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Grease suggestions

Hello, I am looking for some guidance on the proper wheel bearing grease to use on my 5th wheel. I am looking at Lubrimatic LMX Red lithium complex and have heard that some are using the Lucas Red and Tacky as well. There are many others out there to choose from!
    Thanks!
    Brad
    BradF
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2023 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Gas with B&W 3710

That brand will work. But the Lucas brand has a higher high temperature drop point of 540°F vs. Lubrimatic at 500°F. Of course if your bearings heat to the drop point, you have bigger issues.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Any NLGI#2 grease will work. Nothing special about trailer bearings.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy , seems like the Lucas product is a good solution.
        Thanks!
        BradF
        2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

The Lucas R&T is available almost anywhere and at a decent price.
          Any NLGI #2 high temp EP lithium complex grease (typically what is found in an auto parts setting) will give you good service. The key is to not mix greases with different thickeners. Theres a chart showing compatibility but thats getting pretty far into the weeds. I have Lucas in both my grease guns and my bearing packer. Grease is one of those things where its easy to get caught up in it and overthink things.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Lucas R&T good for softening your hands too
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
              Hello, I am looking for some guidance on the proper wheel bearing grease to use on my 5th wheel. I am looking at Lubrimatic LMX Red lithium complex and have heard that some are using the Lucas Red and Tacky as well. There are many others out there to choose from!
              Thanks!
              Brad
              Lucas Red and Tacky vote here. I have lots of things to grease and only use this brand. I order by the case from Amazon.
              40-year Camping Enthusiast
              2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

I've been using the Redline Synthetic CV-2 for several years now without issue and it has a higher drop point than those mentioned on this thread. But as someone mentioned if you get to those temp you're in deep kimchee. One thing that I find facilitates bearing packing is the Lisle bearing packer #34550. Safe travels!!

Comment

I use amzoil #2 NLGI grease. Dropping pt at 540...but does anyone buy grease by dropping pt? The TPMS sensors will never report an accurate bearing temp.
                  2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by philip pooley View Post
                    I've been using the Redline Synthetic CV-2 for several years now without issue and it has a higher drop point than those mentioned on this thread. But as someone mentioned if you get to those temp you're in deep kimchee. One thing that I find facilitates bearing packing is the Lisle bearing packer #34550. Safe travels!!
                    After years of packing bearings by hand (I like the tactile feel and the skin softening properties) I broke down last year and bought that same Lisle bearing packer. I am at the point in my life where I am trying to make everything as easy as possible rather than gutting it out.
                    Grease is cheap, roadside service isnt.
                    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I have the same bearing packer in my RV bearing kit . Never used it yet - changing axles. But I like the way is can be stored and not get grease everywhere.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I purchased the Lisle 34550 but have not used it yet. Is it easier to pump in the grease through the attached Zerk fitting on the plunger or do you just scoop out a handful of grease and put it in the cup? Seems like it would take forever to pump in enough grease to adequately lube four sets of bearings.
                        BradF
                        2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Originally posted by BradF View Post
                          I purchased the Lisle 34550 but have not used it yet. Is it easier to pump in the grease through the attached Zerk fitting on the plunger or do you just scoop out a handful of grease and put it in the cup? Seems like it would take forever to pump in enough grease to adequately lube four sets of bearings.
                          Brad
                          From the videos I watched and reviews, yes the first time takes a bit - probably 1/2 a tube. From then on it is much less as you store the unused remaining clean grease in the packer,
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJ1GfQ9CV0

Hope this helps

Comment

Yoda Thanks for the link and information. I think I will just pick up an extra tube of grease and go that route.
                            Seems like it will be cleanest way and when you consider clean up time, likely not any slower then hand filling the cup.
                            BradF
                            2016 Reflection 27RL

Comment

Working...
                            X