Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Bearing Temperature Monitoring - Using Heat Indicating Tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Temperature Monitoring - Using Heat Indicating Tape?

I was looking over at McMasteri-Carr and ran across heat sensing labels/stick on tape.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/products/temperature-strips/
    Could theses be put in the brake drum close to the bearings and give a visual indication? . I have no idea what range temps I would need either. What is the max temp you want to see bearings? Yes I know they will also pick up brake temps, but if mounted close to the hub would the be effective? Could be put where it would be seen through the rim. Could also put it on the rim close to the hub too.

Just brainstorming

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

“Store in a cool, dry place below 64F and 50% relative humidity.”
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      “Store in a cool, dry place below 64F and 50% relative humidity.”
      You would go and read the fine print I guess I will keep the IR gun handy still,
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Sounded like a great idea. Lol.
        2020 Grand Design - 2600RB - Pulling with a 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins 4x4. (Texas)

Comment

Picking up the brake temps is a real issue. In warm weather when I apply brakes and pull over a couple of my wheel drums are kinda warm. If I then dial the brake controller down where it is providing no stopping, the drums are cool to the touch. Carefully touching them or the IR gun is probably the best bet.

I've never had a bearing issue, but I bet it lights up the drum
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I have used the IR heat gun for years. They arent super expensive and its easy to use on my walk around inspection. Heat in brakes is normal and actually a good thing, finding the right amount of good is the tricky part.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I've always just used the back of my hand. I have it calibrated for bearings. Just don't do it if you've just come down off a hill.

Comment

I do have an IR gun, but was thinking there might be a better way. Too bad most of the tape is is a one use only, and does not run up and down a scale. Now if the tire monitor folks can come up with s stick on sensor to monitor bearing temps - mount inside the hub by the outer bearing., Hmmmmm maybe I should patent that idea - but I am sure someone has thought of it

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  I do have an IR gun, but was thinking there might be a better way. Too bad most of the tape is is a one use only, and does not run up and down a scale. Now if the tire monitor folks can come up with s stick on sensor to monitor bearing temps - mount inside the hub by the outer bearing., Hmmmmm maybe I should patent that idea - but I am sure someone has thought of it
                  Now if you would only get rid of the through hub grease but add central tire inflation with temp monitoring you would have a world of followers.

Central tire pressure would mean one could add an on demand pump with cut out switch to maintain tire pressure at all times.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                    I actually thought of a similar thing. A version of the TPMS valve stem sensors that screwed into a threaded hole on the end of the spindle where the zerk is now. It could send a good indication of bearing temperature with the same electronics as the TPMS uses.

John & Kathy
                    2014 Reflection 303RLS
                    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post

Now if you would only get rid of the through hub grease but add central tire inflation with temp monitoring you would have a world of followers.

Central tire pressure would mean one could add an on demand pump with cut out switch to maintain tire pressure at all times.
                      Then somewhere in the air delivery connection to the tire you will need a rotating seal, a failure point.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

Then somewhere in the air delivery connection to the tire you will need a rotating seal, a failure point.
                        But it would at least have on board air to allow for the seal leaking. Class 8 rigs have been doing it for a while so the tech is out there. Probably more than any RV company would want to spend putting it on a trailer though.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Now this is interesting. I sent TST a message yesterday if they had a temp only sensor that could be mounted on the hub, They called and left a message. Ill call Monday as I am curious now

Comment

From Australia.
                            https://www.smartertowing.com/produc...our-wheel-set/
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                              And pricey too https://www.smartertowing.com/store/ However current exchange rate 1 AUD = 0.6651 USD May 14, 2023 08:13 UTC​

It is an interesting way to do it with the thick aluminum cap absorbing the heat from the hub. I wonder if the display will show F though? They also make custom sizes.

I think we should have a Moderator try them out and report - keeping with the site goal or reverse spending from Yoda....no wait I think I have that reversed....well payback for all the funds I have been coerced to spend

Keith

On edit - It also looks like you wont be able to use the center dist cap most of us have on our wheels.
                              Last edited by Yoda; 05-14-2023, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X