Fused bearing to spindle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fused bearing to spindle

Ok, once again I get to have the unusual. In 2020 I burned up a bearing, so I had all of them replaced. Never did a lot of maintenance on, just added some grease once in a while. Heading down to Florida from South Dakota last fall my brakes failed. Not related, but it was the impetus to get some maintenance done. So in repairing the brakes we found two bad calipers, got those replaced, and a bad hub. It seems when they fixed the first burned bearing they had to sand the spindle a bit and sand the inside of the hub/rotor also. That made the seals not seat quite right. Ok, no problem, getting everything fixed this last January.

Replaced the bearings in two of the hub/rotors, inspected and repacked all the rest. No sign of wear. Yahoo, good to go for another season, not.

1700 miles after the repacking the left rear bearing burns out. It gets real toasty, tears some stuff up. Fortunately I discovered it across the street from a trailer repair facility, my lucky day. They jumped right on it. Removed the wheel, removed the cotter pin, tried to take the castle nut off. The electric impact wrench couldn't remove it, ok, get the air impact wrench; no go. Ok, old school, got the 1/2 inch breaker bar out with 3' pipe extender. Twisting the castle nut, it would not come loose from the spindle. This can't be good. Ok, more parts needed. It's an LCI axle so I called LCI, apparently you cannot replace the spindle on an LCI 7000k axle, you have to replace the whole axle.

Here's where need help/advice. Anyone else have a similar issue, can you verify that my only option at this point is to replace the axle?

Hub/rotor is also damaged, so automatic replacement there. Brake pads damaged. Of course the bearings are gone. About the only thing salvageable is the caliper.

Next subject; Trailer repair facility tells me they can probably get a Dexter axle easier than they can get the LCI axle. I am not opposed to that, but getting the correct axle measurements for an exact replacement is new to me. In the morning I will crawl under there and get some more measurements. Looks like it will be Monday before an axle can be ordered, then about a week for delivery. Anyone have a source than can knowleadgeably guide me on which axle I need?

Have a look at my handy dandy chain the axle up thingy. Don't try this at home. But it did get me 2 miles down the road to an RV park so I can wait for parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1630.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	111264Axle tag

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1628.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	111265
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Hi Dallas,

The spindles are welded to the axle tube . . . a damaged spindle does mean an axle replacement. You have the info for LCI to provide an exact replacement. Unless LCI can’t deliver in a reasonable timeframe, I would not try to match what you have with a Dexter axle. You could talk to Dexter to see if they can accurately interpret the info on the LCI axle label.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The shop you are at is getting you good info so far. Relace the whole axle is correct. This should be easy to match up to Dexter. Also please do not add a little grease now and then with the grease zerk on the end of the axle, get them repacked.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

d2reid I agree with everyone here, bad spindle means a whole new axle. Should be easy for Dexter to cross reference it, I had mine replaced a couple years ago and they used Dexter. That said assuming you are keeping the other one you might want to have a LCI replacement so you've got all the same seals and bearings all the way around for parts.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
          That said assuming you are keeping the other one you might want to have a LCI replacement so you've got all the same seals and bearings all the way around for parts.
          In 2019 I got the Performance Trailor Brake Kodiak disk brake upgrade. So hub/rotor is Kodiak, I will replace the broken hub/rotor with same. As a result seals and bearings will be the same all around.

I went back and checked some notes, that bearing was put on in 2020. Hindsight tells me that I should have replaced all the bearings instead of just repacking them.

Comment

Here is a really cool axle ID document from Lippert. Shows you how to read LCI axle label nomenclature.

ccd-0007341.pdf

Comment

Parts list for axle repair

Axle; Lippert LCI170-SBSA-90-74.25-NOSP-OS-L-86517-7227-30PT

Translation;

LCI170 - 7,000 lbs 12” x 2” brake

SBSA - Straight spindle, electric drum brake with self-adjust

90 - Hub face dimension, dimension from the face of the hub on the left to face of hub on right.

74.25 - Spring Center Dimension, distance from middle of spring on the left to middle of spring on right.

NOSP - No shock plate, regular tie plate is to be used

OS - Overslung; springs mounted on top of axle tube

L - Super-lube, grease zerk in end of spindle, dust cap with rubber plug.

86517 – 8 wheel bolts on a 6.50" circle with 1/2-20 stud. 12" X 2" brake, disc brake, or idler

7227 – Springs, 3500 lbs 24.88 6 24 7/8 +/- 1/4 1.72 - 1.85

30PT – Wire cable length

Old LCI part number V000377793, new part number V000443599

Info needed for Dexter match up;
              7000k, Straight Spindle, no shock plate regular tie plate, overslung, grease zirk in end of axle. Hub/rotor replaced with Kodiak.

Existing leaf springs: 4,000 lb. capacity, Overslung, 1.75" Double eye leaf spring. 26* Loaded, 24.875" Eye to Eye

U-bolt; Ap - U-bolt 1/2"-20x7.25"f/3.00" - 014-132049 & nuts

Hub/Rotor;

13" Premier Hub/Rotor 8-6.5 9/16" Stud 008-A04-05 - 13" Premier Hub/Rotor 8-6.5 9/16" Stud

Bearings;

Timken Bearing 25580 - 1.75" I.D. for Inner 42 Spindle. Fits 25520 Race

T25580 - Timken Cone 25580 - 1.75" I.D. for Inner 42 Spindle. Fits 25520 Race

Timken Cone 02475 - 1.25" inner diameter - Outer bearing on 7.2k and 8k hub - Fits race 02420

T02475 - Timken Cone 02475 - 1.25" inner diameter - Outer bearing on 7.2k and 8k hub - Fits race 02420

Seal; SEAL 2.25X3.376X.38, DOUBLE LIP SINGLE 010-036-00 -

Comment

Dallas,

With your "luck" and travel distances you may want to think about replacing both axles and new springs and start fresh.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Dallas,

With your "luck" and travel distances you may want to think about replacing both axles and new springs and start fresh.

Brian
                  LOL, given the distances and duress of my travels I feel like I have really good luck. I just break things.

And I have triple axles.

And I have disk brake upgrades.

And we are having planning anxiety. Been going on for a while. So while we have adjusted the way we travel to match the times, we are thinking about a landing zone. But that brings up the original purpose of our travels, deciding where we want to live out our lives. Or we may buy a new RV. Or we can just patch this one up till we decide, if it lasts that long....

Comment

I did not have the handy dandy chain thing, but I used a 3" ratchet strap and several of the orange ones. I had to go about 1.5 miles to the Holiday Inn, could not extend the leveling jacks due to missing parts on the one right behind the missing axle hub assembly.

Luckily I was under Dexter warranty, they paid for everything. This was not a GD unit, but our first 5er that made it a whopping 23 months due to more involved issues than I wanted to fix.

I need to service ours this year. It will be getting new seals, new bearings, and fresh grease. Out with the Chinese ones Dexter uses and in with a good set of Timken or SKF.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

LOL, given the distances and duress of my travels I feel like I have really good luck. I just break things.

And I have triple axles.

And I have disk brake upgrades.

And we are having planning anxiety. Been going on for a while. So while we have adjusted the way we travel to match the times, we are thinking about a landing zone. But that brings up the original purpose of our travels, deciding where we want to live out our lives. Or we may buy a new RV. Or we can just patch this one up till we decide, if it lasts that long....
                      One question When you replaced the bearings, did you replace the races. They should be both replaced at the same time. If you just replaced the bearings and the race was bad, that may have caused the failure.

I also noticed in the parts break down your axle is cumming with 12x2 brakes and not the disk break hub. Personally I would replace both with Dexter and probably go to 8K units with disk brake hubs. You might be able to go to oil bath hubs at that rating.. Just my 02 as you have all of the luck

Good luck
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Out with the Chinese ones Dexter uses and in with a good set of Timken or SKF.
                        That were probably made in Shanghai...........
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                        X