Nitrogen inflation to 125psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen inflation to 125psi

So, got our Solitude 310GK a few months ago and the tires are supposed to be at 125psi cold. They are also currently filled with nitrogen. They are about 15psi low right now, but I cannot find anyone in the San Diego area that can top them off with nitrogen. I can get them to 125psi with air and am not a rigid advocate of nitrogen, but would like to keep them inflated with nitrogen if possible. Have called RV dealers, semitruck shops, and tire stores with no luck. Anyone know of a place in the San Diego area than can provide nitrogen to 125psi? Thanks.
    OG
    2023 Solitude 310GK
    2021 RAM 3500 Diesel SRW

Try a welding supply shop.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by SurfOgre View Post
      So, got our Solitude 310GK a few months ago and the tires are supposed to be at 125psi cold. They are also currently filled with nitrogen. They are about 15psi low right now, but I cannot find anyone in the San Diego area that can top them off with nitrogen. I can get them to 125psi with air and am not a rigid advocate of nitrogen, but would like to keep them inflated with nitrogen if possible. Have called RV dealers, semitruck shops, and tire stores with no luck. Anyone know of a place in the San Diego area than can provide nitrogen to 125psi? Thanks.
      Every compressor in the world provides 78% nitrogen gas. The whole nitrogen inflation thing is just a silly scam.

John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

That doesn't take away from wanting dry nitrogen.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Every compressor in the world provides 78% nitrogen gas. The whole nitrogen inflation thing is just a silly scam.
          The tire oxidizes, absorbing the oxygen, leaving only the nitrogen. If the stories about nitrogen were true . . . how would a tire filled with nitrogen lose pressure? (which they always do). Just air up your tires with any compressor.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
            That doesn't take away from wanting dry nitrogen.
            ... or dry air from any portable compressor. I suspect the Owner's Manual only references adding air to correct loading pressure and ne'er a mention of nitrogen. If finding N2 is tough at ground zero, imagine trying to find it on the road. Not something that keeps me up at night.

Mike
            Mike & Sonya
            2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
            Blue Ox SwayPro
            2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

NoPeeking true enough. It's the dry characteristic that counts. Not many portable compressors or service station compressors have desiccant dryers.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

SurfOgre, you probably already know from owning previous RVs that you'll be spending some time adjusting tire pressure due to absorption of the gas by the rubber, elevation changes, and other reasons. Honestly, unless you plan to travel with your own nitrogen tank, you'll end up using a common portable air compressor.
                John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I too went down the Nitrogen rabbit hole. Just had to have it. Well, until I couldn't find it. Sure local tire stores could fill auto tires all day long to 40psi with it, but none of their equipment would get to 110PSI, my tires at the time.

So I read and read about nitrogen, how it really does effect tire longevity.. What I found was that water in the compressors actually is what causes premature tire failure. The thing about using pure nitrogen is that there is no water vapor.. So I looked at buying nitrogen filling equipment, whoa baby, theres a buck or two involved. At the time I was using my old scuba tank as a tire filling air tank. The upside was the air put into scuba tanks is stripped of moisture. Yea! the bad news it's pretty expensive to maintain dive tanks if you are not using them often. At the time $20 to fill, annual inspection $69, 5 years hydro inspection $130. But I forgot to get the hydro done, so a couple hundred to get it recertified and filled. So I bagged it.

I bought a California Equipment Compressor. It's not the best option out there, but it pump fresh air on each fill, so I get ambient moisture, but not collected (condensated) moisture. The good news is I wear my tires out using them long before the internal moisture has a chance to break the rubber down.

There are no "right" answers, only decision that must be made.
                  2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                  2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                  E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                  Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

I've always figured that 78% to 79% nitrogen is about perfect.....
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

In Texas, most of the Costcos have nitrogen tire inflation stations outside the tire departments - but doubt you could get an rv in the busy Costco parking lot.
                      Eddie & Kathy
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL
                      2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                      Houston, TX

Comment

Originally posted by SurfOgre View Post
                        OG
                        I understand you wish for Nitrogen, but as mentioned air is 78% Nitrogen anyway. I am lucky to live in the west so there is very little moisture in compressed air here. Discount tire has this article https://www.discounttire.com/learn/air-vs-nitrogen.

Now many years ago I was also intrigued as my GD dealer said I had to use nitrogen - they had a filling station but for $$$$. I quickly learned it was a sales gimmick.

Now having said that I think over at iRV2 years ago was a thread where someone connected a small nitrogen welding tank through a regulator and use that to inflate, but it was pricey Good luck
                        Keith
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks, all. Looks like the very small (and questionable) benefit is far outweighed by the difficulty and cost of keeping them filled with nitrogen. Will fill with conventional means. Appreciate the guidance.
                          OG
                          2023 Solitude 310GK
                          2021 RAM 3500 Diesel SRW

Comment

OK, I'm going to open the rabbit hole. If moisture is the main problem, why not put one of these https://www.amazon.com/LEMATEC-ZN312...86&sr=8-6&th=1 on your tire fill inflator? The ones I use for closed space moisture control are rechargeable (I use the microwave on defrost). Just let them cool completely before putting them back in. I have even put them in Vacuum bags to keep them dry.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              OK, I'm going to open the rabbit hole. If moisture is the main problem, why not put one of these https://www.amazon.com/LEMATEC-ZN312...86&sr=8-6&th=1 on your tire fill inflator? The ones I use for closed space moisture control are rechargeable (I use the microwave on defrost). Just let them cool completely before putting them back in. I have even put them in Vacuum bags to keep them dry.
                              Okay, I'll play... I've been air-filling bike, trailer, lawnmower, car, truck, etc. tires for 50yrs and never had a moisture-related issue. Am I the lucky one? Or, just didn't know I had a moisture issue? I get it for industrial/commercial applications for critical equipment where moisture in air needs to be controlled, but for a trailer tire???

Mike
                              Mike & Sonya
                              2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                              Blue Ox SwayPro
                              2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Working...
                              X