No announcement yet.

Nitrogen inflation to 125psi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NoPeeking Mike, I'm with you. Never had a tire problem with moisture in compressed air. Had ice form on pneumatic mining equipment exhaust.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by SurfOgre View Post
      So, got our Solitude 310GK a few months ago and the tires are supposed to be at 125psi cold. They are also currently filled with nitrogen. They are about 15psi low right now, but I cannot find anyone in the San Diego area that can top them off with nitrogen. I can get them to 125psi with air and am not a rigid advocate of nitrogen, but would like to keep them inflated with nitrogen if possible. Have called RV dealers, semitruck shops, and tire stores with no luck. Anyone know of a place in the San Diego area than can provide nitrogen to 125psi? Thanks.
      the air we breathe contains 78 percent nitrogen. Marketing, go figure. Just take it up to the desired psi and go on living.
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

When tires are mounted, there is a bunch of watery slop used to lube the beads. This moisture likely overwhelms any moisture put in by air from a compressor.
        Ottertail, Minnesota
        2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
        2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I thought the reason for nitrogen filled tires was for pressure stabilization, less swings when change in temperature and elevation.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            I thought the reason for nitrogen filled tires was for pressure stabilization, less swings when change in temperature and elevation.

Brian
            I thought it was for making money....
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

All gases behave the same with temperature and pressure whether mixed as air or alone as Nitrogen or Oxygen or Hydrogen. Nitrogen's special property is that it is inert, non-reactive.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                Regarding pressure changes due to temperature - it won't matter what gas mixture as gases follow Boyle's law, often referred to as the Ideal Gas law. The pressure will vary linearly with the temperature as expressed in absolute terms (absolute temperature in F, add 460, Celsius add 273). There would be a small additional drop in pressure due to water condensation as the temperature drops below the dewpoint, but it would only be a few percent I believe. Tires filled to 80psi at 40 degrees F would measure about 12% higher at 100F, or about 90psi. At 0F, they would measure about 74psi.

Regarding altitude changes, higher elevation will indicate a higher pressure. For example, at 11,000' above sea level, the atmospheric pressure is about 9psi. Tires inflated to 80psi at sea level would read about 14.7-9 = 6psi higher, assuming that the temperatures are equal.

Edit:
                TedS you beat me to it - I got sidetracked as I was replying!
                Ottertail, Minnesota
                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Regarding pressure changes due to temperature - it won't matter what gas mixture as gases follow Boyle's law, often referred to as the Ideal Gas law. The pressure will vary linearly with the temperature as expressed in absolute terms (absolute temperature in F, add 460, Celsius add 273). There would be a small additional drop in pressure due to water condensation as the temperature drops below the dewpoint, but it would only be a few percent I believe. Tires filled to 80psi at 40 degrees F would measure about 12% higher at 100F, or about 90psi. At 0F, they would measure about 74psi.

Regarding altitude changes, higher elevation will indicate a higher pressure. For example, at 11,000' above sea level, the atmospheric pressure is about 9psi. Tires inflated to 80psi at sea level would read about 14.7-9 = 6psi higher, assuming that the temperatures are equal.

Edit:
                  TedS you beat me to it - I got sidetracked as I was replying!
                  TedS

You both made my head explode this morning making me remember all of this from my college classes (civil engineering) How do you remember all of this? Of course I did not worry about gas so much building bridges and roads, except for confined spaces, welding, and eating...well we wont go into eating as methane pollution is a political topic.

And from my reading, to get the real benefit of nitrogen you need to be above 95%or 98%? That would mean pulling a vacuum on the tire first before filling. I know there are ways to do it as auto racing uses it a lot along with other gasses.. I think NASA has a strange blend in the shuttle tires too, and they assemble them in a complete vacuum if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and don't forget the most important law that Murphy created

Keith
                  2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, remember the government has an unlimited budget so they can do stupid things like build a pure nitrogen clean room just for assembly of tires. It's just money, they can print more.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

TedS

You both made my head explode this morning making me remember all of this from my college classes (civil engineering) How do you remember all of this? Of course I did not worry about gas so much building bridges and roads, except for confined spaces, welding, and eating...well we wont go into eating as methane pollution is a political topic.

And from my reading, to get the real benefit of nitrogen you need to be above 95%or 98%? That would mean pulling a vacuum on the tire first before filling. I know there are ways to do it as auto racing uses it a lot along with other gasses.. I think NASA has a strange blend in the shuttle tires too, and they assemble them in a complete vacuum if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and don't forget the most important law that Murphy created

Keith
                      Yoda The biggest use in Nascar is to change tires, and set pressures on pit road. When whoever has the contract now mounts the tires, they use natural air with multiple drying stages. It's just much easier to use than hauling around compressors.

Then there is always another idea, https://www.winekeeper.com/winekeepe...rogen-cylinder You can buy a regulator and have the small cylindder refilled you local gas passer.
                      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                      Nash County, NC
                      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

I asked a GD rep or tech, can’t remember which he was, about this at an rv show. He said just fill them with air.
                        Cameron and Wendy, plus Artemis
                        2022 Imagine 2670MK
                        2022 Ram 2500

Comment

Working...
                        X