Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damage to my dexter axle (has anybody seen this before?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage to my dexter axle (has anybody seen this before?)

Last month on the way home from our 1st trip of the year, I noticed my TPMS system said the driver-side rear tire was 40 degrees hotter than the other 3 tires. I pulled over thinking maybe my electric brake had gotten stuck on. On the side of the road I Googled what to do and found some tips on pulling forward and backwards while slamming on the brakes to try and free it. Not sure if that worked, or if that was even the problem, but I let the wheel cool down and then limped the last 30 minutes home. Going really slowly allowed me to not only tick off all the traffic behind me 😏 , but it allowed me to hear over the road noise. I could hear a click click click from that one wheel that was in sync with how fast that wheel was spinning.

To sum it all up - I took the Trailer to my local RV shop to get the bearings repacked and also investigate what had broken on that one electric brake (or so I thought). Forgive me if I get the terminology incorrect, as I am not too familiar with all the parts and pieces of axles. But anyway... I was standing there when they took the tire off and we could see that the whole backer-plate was moving instead of being stationary. As they took the drum off we found the bolts that hold the backer plate to the axle sleeve where inside the drum. The brake actuator thing that gets magnetized and activates the brake was melted pretty bad too. But his main concern was that the backer plate was allowed to rotate. This caused damage to the flange on the axle sleeve where the bolts attach. He said he had never seen anything like this in 30 years. He said that he has seen a bolt get sheered, but never all 4 bolts simply come out and fall inside the drum. He suspected that perhaps the nuts had not gotten properly torqued down when the axle was assembled by Dexter, and over the course of the last 2 years they finally worked themselves off. There was no damage to any of the bolts, and the bearings were also in perfect condition. He said to get me back on the road we could replace the backer-plate/drum/brake and get me back on the road as a temporary fix. But with the damage to the axle where the bolts attach, that he could no longer warranty any repairs he could do and suggested that the entire axle needed to be replaced.

In fact here is his exact verbiage from the repair ticket:
    CAUSE: customer says left rear is making a clanking noise.

Removed wheels, found backer on driver side rear axle is spinning on the axle. Looks like all 4 backer bolts have fallen out. Removed drum from axle,
    Inner and outer bearings look good. No heat or scoring marks on bearing, Grease looks good, No contamination. All 4 backer bolts are in the drum and
    none are broken. Looks like the nuts fallen off allowing the backer to spin with the drum. The backer has now damaged the mounting tabs and brake
    wiring on the axle, and now it is un-safe to bolt new backer to the axle. Recommend replacing axle with complete new axle with backers and drums​

I have been in contact with Grand Design, who told me to call Dexter, and Dexter has opened a warranty claim. That was just yesterday so I don't have any update from Dexter yet....but has anybody ever seen anything like this before?

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	4 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	112600

Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	4 Size:	188.8 KB ID:	112601

Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	4 Size:	227.0 KB ID:	112602

Click image for larger version  Name:	07.jpg Views:	4 Size:	137.1 KB ID:	112603

100_6116.MP4

I also attached the short MP4 video he took, but apparently you have to download it to be able to watch it, as it won't play here in the forum thread.

Attached Files
    Last edited by BillM321; 05-20-2023, 12:21 PM.
    Bill M.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

BillM321
    I can recall many u-bolts loosening (and can find the threads). All four of the backer bolts? While I seem to remember reading something along these lines I can't find it.

Regardless, getting a warranty claim started with Dexter is the right approach (IMHO). Given the bolts should have been properly torqued during assembly they should not come loose. To my knowledge (which is limited on this topic) there's no maintenance schedule that requires checking/re-torquing those bolts. one of the other moderators, or any number of smart forum members may chime in with more information.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First that I have seen this. I hope Dexter helps you out with this, it is surely a factory issue.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

BillM321 howson Country Campers
        Good grief - never seen it either. Dexter should help out I hope. BTW is the drum OK with those parts rattling around inside and the magnet too? Good luck.
        Howard, Brian
        Would it be a good idea to check those bolts.?I think they are accessible. What is the proper torque?

Keith

Found this instruction sheet https://www.easternmarine.com/mwdown...d/link/id/5239 Matches what Brian posted below

Here is the Dexter one
        https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...semblyKits.pdf
        Last edited by Yoda; 05-20-2023, 07:25 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          BillM321 howson Country Campers
          Good grief - never seen it either. Dexter should help out I hope. BTW is the drum OK with those parts rattling around inside and the magnet too? Good luck.
          Howard, Brian
          Would it be a good idea to check those bolts.?I think they are accessible. What is the proper torque?

Keith
          The nuts should be accessible on the rear side of the backing plate. A quick search found that 30-50 ft/lbs is acceptable for a 5200# axle. I will be checking mine.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Don't be surprised if Dexter sends you a completely new axle. Their warranty dept takes no chances on anything once a claim is opened and they determine it's truly a mfg error.

That being said, I do not recall seeing this type of failure before. I will be checking the backing plate nuts along with the U-bolts yearly now (one more thing to add to the list).
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Good news !!

Dexter reached out to me today advising they had authorized a complete new axle assembly at no charge + 1.5hrs of labor and wanted to know where to have them ship it to. So just like Jlawles2 said, they stepped up to the plate and are sending out a whole new axle.

I am not happy that all of this happened to me, but I am happy that I got to share it with you all. Hopefully this will help somebody else prevent the problem by making folks aware to add yet another thing to list of things to periodically check But that is one of the things these forums are for....to help each other out.

Bill M.
              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

I just checked my new axles. In my case the nuts are on the INSIDE Studs are pressed into the axle flange plate. Jlawles2 Joseph how are yours put together?
                BillM321 Good to hear Dexter took care of you. Its heavy work but you can do it yourself. Otherwise find a good trailer / axle place (not RV dealer) to do the work

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, Yet to crawl under it for the yearly checks. I have a few days off coming up with decent weather will check then.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience. Got under the RV to take pictures of the axle tags before they weather off so I’ll have the information when I need it. Also spurred me to call GD customer service to find out ft/lbs for the U-bolts on the suspension. For the axles on my Imagine 2970RL - it was 70 ft/lbs per customer service.
                    Eddie & Kathy
                    2021 Imagine 2970RL
                    2019 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L
                    Houston, TX

Comment

Working...
                    X