Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plastic white (nylon?) spring bushing (new) - replace now with bronze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic white (nylon?) spring bushing (new) - replace now with bronze?

I thought I would as this separate from my axle thread. hope it is OK

The other day while it was raining an old thread on the bronze bushings came up. I think it was one Rob Cate&Rob started.

Anyway I did a search on the plastic bushings which I think are nylon that were supplied with my new springs, and was surprised to find folks were having good luck with them, including greasing them across various RV forums - yes I was board. They were lasting longer than the bronze ones in some cases. This does not make sense. Now I am not talking about the black plastic never replace ones which I think are not being made anymore. These are the stock white looking ones.

Opinions are all over the place, including grease to push the wear material out - and grease breaking down the nylon. I may give MORryed a call. On edit - they said to put the bronze bushing in now.. I also learned wet bolts cant be reused and should be fully replaced when doing service if the are removed. Something about he lock nuts deforming the threads when first installed.

I searched the Dexter axle site and found nothing on them.

Now I have the bronze bushings and I was planing to push the plastic out and install the bronze before getting the axles under the trailer. Should I go ahead and do that? Or run and lube the nylon (red and tacky grease) until they wear out then change out?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Keith
    Last edited by Yoda; 05-25-2023, 03:22 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith - When I received my 2017 rig, the first thing I did was replace the white plastic bushings with bronze. The white plastic bushings were worn through after delivery from Indiana to Arizona. So they were shot with just 2,000 miles on them. When I replaced the bronze bushings at 30K miles this year, only one was worn through, and it was one that was difficult to take grease. Here's a photo of the white plastic bushing after 2,000 miles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0731.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	113009

If I was changing the bushings, I would consider reuse of the wet bolts if they were in good shape. But I'd use new crush nuts and blue Loctite. to assure they didn't come off.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Hi Keith,

I have never heard of hanger/shackle bolts being “single use”. I suspect that whoever you talked to at MORRyde is confusing the bolts with the nuts. The threads in the torque retaining nuts are deformed when used and should only be used once.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Get rid of the plastic, install the bronze.

Why do people think so highly of mor-ryde? Their stuff wears out faster than oem.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          Get rid of the plastic, install the bronze.

Why do people think so highly of mor-ryde? Their stuff wears out faster than oem.
          Interesting thought on MORryde. - any sources behind that? Always open to discussion. I got thier HD shackle kit based on excellent reviews and its completeness..

I will be changing out the plastic for the bronze in the morning. I got the cradle done and first axle set for work in the morning.. Speaking of bronze bushings - do a search on the best and be prepared to spending lot of hours. It is an interesting discussion..

Thanks for the help everyone. - This old foogy is still learning
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Interesting thought on MORryde. - any sources behind that? Always open to discussion.
            Keith
            Not really. Just my own observation. The CRE3000 on our 2021 is badly checked already. Was disappointed. So searching cre3000 failure showed a fair amount of issues. I know, search for negative stuff and you will find it. I had far better service from the Dexter equalizers and shackles on my previous trailer. So when you reported that Morryde said not to reuse bolts....made me think you were talking to someone that was confusing bolts with nylok nuts or maybe was actually thinking of u-bolts, or..... just trying to sell bolts.

So I know it's not exactly a huge data sampling I'm going with but I guess that's how "brand bias" develops in me.

However, VERY interested in your x-factor install ***Thanks very much for your thorough coverage of your work***

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              Not really. Just my own observation. The CRE3000 on our 2021 is badly checked already. Was disappointed. So searching cre3000 failure showed a fair amount of issues. I know, search for negative stuff and you will find it. I had far better service from the Dexter equalizers and shackles on my previous trailer. So when you reported that Morryde said not to reuse bolts....made me think you were talking to someone that was confusing bolts with nylok nuts or maybe was actually thinking of u-bolts, or..... just trying to sell bolts.

So I know it's not exactly a huge data sampling I'm going with but I guess that's how "brand bias" develops in me.

However, VERY interested in your x-factor install ***Thanks very much for your thorough coverage of your work***

Scott - your probably correct with the CRE systems. Now that you mention it there have been issues withe dampeners aging badly. That's why I stuck with the Dexter EZ-Flex I had looked at options when I took the old axles off.

Keith

Comment

Working...
              X