Brake cable replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake cable replacement

I noticed last week that the brake cable that hooks to the hitch was broken. Looking at the other end of the cable (see the attached picture) the way the cable connects to the plug is really tight. I'm not sure I can just swap that cable out with a replacement one, even though Amazon lists many of them.
    Has anyone else had to replace these? Can I just change the cable, the cable plus a new plug, or does the whole brake unit need replacing? It's hard to know if these plugs are universal or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230522_185832560.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	113037
    Mike, Claire and Bode (our Golden)
    2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited
    image.png

Originally posted by mgsmithnj View Post
    I noticed last week that the brake cable that hooks to the hitch was broken. Looking at the other end of the cable (see the attached picture) the way the cable connects to the plug is really tight. I'm not sure I can just swap that cable out with a replacement one, even though Amazon lists many of them.
    Has anyone else had to replace these? Can I just change the cable, the cable plus a new plug, or does the whole brake unit need replacing? It's hard to know if these plugs are universal or not.

Since the unit is about four years old, my .02 is to replace the entire emergency brake component. Wiring in the new one is straight forward. Keep in mind the lines are always "hot", so disconnect the battery before doing the electrical work.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mgsmithnj View Post

While Howard is very correct, withe proper crimp tool you can replace the break away cable, and not touch the plug.

Now after consulting the Force...Replace it all I would... is the best solution. howson

BTW check how the cable got damage in the first place and find a better connection point so it does not happen again. There are some coiled units that look better than the stock straight break away cables.

Hope this helps
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you both. I'll take a look at the wiring this weekend and will order a full replacement if it looks easy enough to get to.
        Mike, Claire and Bode (our Golden)
        2019 Imagine XLS 22RBE
        2020 Dodge Ram 1500 Limited
        image.png

Comment

mgsmithnj FYI I cut and replaced the cable on my first 5er with a https://www.amazon.com/Freely-Breaka...s%2C125&sr=8-1 the split ring fit perfectly in the eye of the plastic key. Also the coil tends to keep a little tension on itself so it does not drag and get damaged or hung up in the chains.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X