2020 upgraded 8000 pound axles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 upgraded 8000 pound axles

I have ordered 390RK-R and one of the things that I put on as an option was the 8000 pound axles my question is what all comes in that upgrade? I can't find anything about it on The Grand Design website. so I only have a day or two before I have to cancel it or I'm stuck with it I'd like to know the details of everything I'm getting for my $5,000... if anyone could give me a link or send me a PDF or something to explaining what all is involved in that I would greatly appreciate it

Typically when the axles are changed out the hub has to be changed also. I would call GD customer support at 574-825-9679 and ask the question.
    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Good Morning Dhughes. Welcome to the technical forum.

I have moved your thread to "Ask Grand Design" so you can get input directly from the factory representative.

GDRV-Megan - Can you please check with your sources to answer this member's question?

Thanks,

Jim - Forum Moderator.
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by dhughes838 View Post
          I have ordered 390RK-R and one of the things that I put on as an option was the 8000 pound axles my question is what all comes in that upgrade? I can't find anything about it on The Grand Design website. so I only have a day or two before I have to cancel it or I'm stuck with it I'd like to know the details of everything I'm getting for my $5,000... if anyone could give me a link or send me a PDF or something to explaining what all is involved in that I would greatly appreciate it
          Hi dhughes! The 8k axle option includes 8k axles w/ disc brakes (electric over hydraulic Dexter system) and larger rims (goes from 16" to 17-1/2" rims). Everything else (suspension-wise) remains the same.

Comment

So the Springs are still 3,000 lb Springs or they go up to 4000? And are the tires now going to be H rated? Oh, and thank you :-)

Comment

8K axles will have 4,000 lbs springs. The tires for this option will be H-rated.

Comment

Thank you so much for the info! I'm glad I get to be one of the first!

Comment

How does this change affect the numbers what are the new carrying weight limits excetera with the change?

Comment

Originally posted by dhughes838 View Post
                    How does this change affect the numbers what are the new carrying weight limits excetera with the change?
                    Forum usage hint: use "quote" or the "tag" feature so your intended audience gets a notification (like you just did when I quoted you). To "tag" Megan use the @ symbol followed by her username GDRV-Megan: GDRV-Megan
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

dhughes838 did you ever find out how much weight gets added when upgrading to the 8k axles with disc brakes? Thanks for posting the original question, I was looking for a similar answer! GDRV-Megan I'm considering the upgrade to the 7K Axle w/Disc Brakes but wanted to confirm that this option also comes with the electric over hydraulic Dexter system?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandy May View Post
                        dhughes838 did you ever find out how much weight gets added when upgrading to the 8k axles with disc brakes? Thanks for posting the original question, I was looking for a similar answer! GDRV-Megan I'm considering the upgrade to the 7K Axle w/Disc Brakes but wanted to confirm that this option also comes with the electric over hydraulic Dexter system?
                        Can you please let me know what unit you're requesting information on? This will help me answer this question correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Hi dhughes! The 8k axle option includes 8k axles w/ disc brakes (electric over hydraulic Dexter system) and larger rims (goes from 16" to 17-1/2" rims). Everything else (suspension-wise) remains the same.
                          Hi Megan, in relation to this information, and something I think I read elsewhere but cannot find now, is the following included with the 8000lb axle option on the Solitudes:
                          • 8000lb axles
                          • 4000lb springs
                          • EOH brakes
                          • 17 1/2 rims
                          • H rated tires
                          • 18,000lb GVWR sticker
                          That last bullet point is really critical to know. Since CCC has been a bit light for most of the Solitudes, getting an additional 1200lbs is a bit of game changer when it comes to choosing a model.

Thanks in advance,
                          John
                          2017 Ram 3500 Mega Cab diesel dually, OEM 5th wheel option
                          Andersen hitch & 303RLS
                          Morryde IS

Comment

Originally posted by John303 View Post

Hi Megan, in relation to this information, and something I think I read elsewhere but cannot find now, is the following included with the 8000lb axle option on the Solitudes:
                            • 8000lb axles
                            • 4000lb springs
                            • EOH brakes
                            • 17 1/2 rims
                            • H rated tires
                            • 18,000lb GVWR sticker
                            That last bullet point is really critical to know. Since CCC has been a bit light for most of the Solitudes, getting an additional 1200lbs is a bit of game changer when it comes to choosing a model.

Thanks in advance,
                            John
                            Yes, you are correct in all of this. The GVWR increases to 18,000 when the 8k axles w/ disc brake option is selected.

Comment

To the rest of the thread, it seems you could order the 8000 axle upgrade, have Morryde install an independent suspension and use the EOH system that GD provided. This would provide an "official" GVWR sticker of 18,000 lbs. I wonder how much the cost of the IS would be if the EOH system came from GD?
                              2017 Ram 3500 Mega Cab diesel dually, OEM 5th wheel option
                              Andersen hitch & 303RLS
                              Morryde IS

Comment

Working...
                              X