Monitoring Suspension & Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring Suspension & Tires

My Garmin Nav System has a "back up" camera input. For years I have had this camera on the back of the trailer, but seldom use it because the "fish eye" lens has too short a focal length to be useful as a rear observation camera and I much prefer using my mirrors and spotter Cate when backing into a campsite.

So . . . it occurred to me that I would much rather use this camera to watch the trailer tires, axles and suspension when there is any question about whether that last pothole did any damage, or the Tireminder has lost a transmitter signal. This turned out to be an easy project. This camera now watches the trailer suspension and tires . . . whenever I want it to . Although we seldom travel at night, I will probably add night time lighting .

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Rob

Pretty good idea. Have Cate drive because I think you will be watching this too much.

Adding light for night time driving is a good idea but check with the LEO's first , not sure how they would like a trailer going down the road with the bottom lit up and glowing.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Rob,
      Hum. I have two Garmins. Guess what I’m going to do?
      That is a clever idea. Added to Mod List.

​​​​​​​
      Steve
      2018 Reflection 303
      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        My Garmin Nav System has a "back up" camera input. For years I have had this camera on the back of the trailer, but seldom use it because the "fish eye" lens has too short a focal length to be useful as a rear observation camera and I much prefer using my mirrors and spotter Cate when backing into a campsite.

So . . . it occurred to me that I would much rather use this camera to watch the trailer tires, axles and suspension when there is any question about whether that last pothole did any damage, or the Tireminder has lost a transmitter signal. This turned out to be an easy project. This camera now watches the trailer suspension and tires . . . whenever I want it to . Although we seldom travel at night, I will probably add night time lighting .

Rob
        Very clever, Rob.

My RV770 can take an input from a camera--when I run out of other projects I might give it a go. Would be interesting to compare videos of different suspension systems working under load, severe angles (backup up), etc.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great idea Rob!
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Wow what a great idea! Except of course now we can watch the carnage in real time when a tire lets go lol. My to do list keeps getting longer and longer and..... My Solitude will weigh 30,000 pounds when I get all these mods added
            Jeff
            2019 Solitude 375 RES
            2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Adding light for night time driving is a good idea but check with the LEO's first , not sure how they would like a trailer going down the road with the bottom lit up and glowing.
              My plan for the lights is to have these on a wireless remote . . . for use only if I need them. The camera has infrared night vision . . . I have to wait for dark to see how well this works.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great idea Rob. I have a second camera coming for my backup camera system. Was going to use this as a dash cam. Might just have to do this instead.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Update: "Night Vision" . . . The Garmin camera is supposed to be able to "see" at night. Not sufficient . . . more to follow on the night lighting plan .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great idea Rob. I've used a GoPro for this but it has limitations in turning it on and off. Now you need to figure out how to gather recordings.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      Great idea Rob. I've used a GoPro for this but it has limitations in turning it on and off. Now you need to figure out how to gather recordings.

Jim
                      Hi Jim,

This is definitely not GoPro level video or recording quality. This is just fairly low resolution live camera video that (hopefully) can show me whether anything has gone amiss while travelling. After any particularly rough section of interstate, I will usually look for a travel center or pull off location to stop and inspect things. This should allow me to do these "inspections" on the fly.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Jim,

This is definitely not GoPro level video or recording quality. This is just fairly low resolution live camera video that (hopefully) can show me whether anything has gone amiss while travelling. After any particularly rough section of interstate, I will usually look for a travel center or pull off location to stop and inspect things. This should allow me to do these "inspections" on the fly.

Rob
                        Rob,

You have come up with a great idea where several camera's on these rigs could benefit us. I have a backup camera but it doesn't provide the coverage and depth that I need to trust it for backing into a campsite with overhanging limbs. So I use it primarily to navigate around vehicles on the interstate along with my mirrors. The DW is the best bet for watching for obstructions while backing into a campsite.

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Rob - another ingenious idea on the long list from you ! Now when you miss seeing in real time the critter crossing the road with your dash cam, you can quickly turn your attention and watch him under the trailer !

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Rob
                            One question and one caution:

Question: Do you have time to watch the road?

Caution: As for the lighting, in some states in the US (such as Nevada), it's illegal to have white lights under a vehicle - especially if they can be see from the rear.

(Another) Rob
                            Rob & Laura
                            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                            X