PSI Wheel Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSI Wheel Rating

Is there a way to find the psi rating of the wheels on my 2020 Reflection 337rls without removing wheels to find the info on backside? Thinking of changing from Westlake E rated to Sailun G rated tires.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Hi Gordon,

There is likely no pressure rating marked on your OE trailer wheels. Backside or inside. (This has been reported by many who have looked). Best advice is to contact the wheel supplier https://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/Westlake-Radial-Tire for the answer to your question. Others have done what you are planning, with good results, but best to check with Lionshead first.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thank you, Rob. I will do that.
      Gordon
      2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

When we installed the Sailuns on our rig, I checked with GD who checked with Lionshead - the wheels are rated for more than the 110 PSI of the load range G tires (assuming they haven't switched wheels since our 2016 337 was built). That said, using the Sailun inflation charts, you don't want to inflate the LR-G tires to 110 PSI on the 337, anyway due to the weight on each wheel. We run ours at 95 and are getting normal wear. You will, however, have to replace the OEM valve stems with high pressure valve stems at the time of installation.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob,

Thanks for detailed followup. I put Sailun LR-G on a Forest River but do not recall name of wheels. I sent email to Lionshead yesterday asking for psi info. No response yet.
          Sailun website lists wheel width at 6.5. Wheels on Reflection are 6.0. Wheel width charts on internet site list 235/80/16 as 6.0 to 8.0 wheels. Do you think the 6.0 wheel will be OK if psi rating is 110 or better?
          2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
            Rob,

Thanks for detailed followup. I put Sailun LR-G on a Forest River but do not recall name of wheels. I sent email to Lionshead yesterday asking for psi info. No response yet.
            Sailun website lists wheel width at 6.5. Wheels on Reflection are 6.0. Wheel width charts on internet site list 235/80/16 as 6.0 to 8.0 wheels. Do you think the 6.0 wheel will be OK if psi rating is 110 or better?
            Forum hint: when addressing someone directly, use the "Quote" function as I have done here. That way they will get a notice that they need to look at and/or respond to something.

All I can tell you this cold, windy travel morning with information in front of me is that the Sailun ST285/80R16 tires we installed were an exact replacement for the Westlake tires and fit the rims perfectly.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Forum hint: when addressing someone directly, use the "Quote" function as I have done here. That way they will get a notice that they need to look at and/or respond to something.

All I can tell you this cold, windy travel morning with information in front of me is that the Sailun ST285/80R16 tires we installed were an exact replacement for the Westlake tires and fit the rims perfectly.

Rob
              Thanks. Hope weather clears for your travel.
              Gordon
              2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post

Thanks. Hope weather clears for your travel.
                Gordon
                Gordon--looks like you have your answer so I moved this from the "Ask Grand Design" channel to the "Tire" channel. If you still want/need GD's input I can move it back. -Moderator Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                  That said, using the Sailun inflation charts, you don't want to inflate the LR-G tires to 110 PSI on the 337, anyway due to the weight on each wheel. We run ours at 95 and are getting normal wear..

Rob
                  Why is this? The 337 does not weigh enough? I always heard that a tire down more than 10% is considered flat. 10% of 110 is 99psi. If this is true, 95 #PSI is a flat tire. Do you check the tempreature of the tires when you stop while towing?

Thanks,
                  George

Comment

Originally posted by webpilot View Post

Why is this? The 337 does not weigh enough? I always heard that a tire down more than 10% is considered flat. 10% of 110 is 99psi. If this is true, 95 #PSI is a flat tire. Do you check the tempreature of the tires when you stop while towing?

Thanks,
                    George
                    I don't know where you "...always heard that..." ST tires are a different animal than passenger tires - and remember, we're talking heavy-duty load range G tires here. 110 PSI is not the recommended inflation pressure - it is the maximum inflation pressure for that tire. The tire manufacturer doesn't have any idea what the consumer is going to install the tire on. For example, the LR-E LT tires on my truck (Michelins) have a maximum inflation pressure of 80 PSI. The sticker on the door and the owners manual both say to inflate the tires to 65 PSI (same front and rear since it's a dual rear wheel truck).

Many manufacturers of ST tires publish inflation tables for their tires where the inflation pressures vary according to the load on the tire. My inflation pressures for the 337 are a few PSI above what Sailun recommends in their tables per our wheel-by-wheel weights from the Escapees SmartWeigh program, but they are wearing well and handle very well. Bottom line, the 337 doesn't come near the upper weight limits of the Sailun LR-G tire.

As far as tolerances, I tell my TPMS what my nominal inflation pressure is and it will notify me if a tire falls below or above the TPMS preset tolerances - and the TPMS continually monitors temps, too.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by webpilot View Post

Thanks,
                      George
                      As Second Chance Rob stated, special trailer tires have specific load/inflation information provided by the OEM. The link below is for the "E" Goodyear Endurance I have on my 315RLTS.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Let me start by stating that if an owner has the OEM Westlake or does not know the individual weight of each tire, stick with the inflation label provided by Grand Design. For the OEM Westlake on my 315RLTS, that's 80psi.

When I had each wheel position of my trailer individually weighed the Smart Weigh person technician provided me with an in-depth analysis that applied specifically to my trailer and the weight on each tire/axle. The exact numbers are not important for this discussion so I won't post them (so the conversation doesn't go off track), but the snip from the paperwork (see below) is pertinent to this conversation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smart Weigh.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	12412

Hope that helps!

-Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I spoke with a Lionshead representative this morning. She said ALL of their wheels are rated for 110 psi in order to accommodate any trailer tire. I will use the chart for correct pressure for weight.
                        Thanks to all for your helpful replies.
                        2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Thanks for the Good Year Charts. I am on mu second set of Provider G rated tires on our 337. They are STIFF! First set went about 40K miles which I thought was pretty good. One was bacly worn which prompted the change of all four. I am getting an alignment tomorrow, so will have the best chance of good tire wear.

I can not find a pressure chart for these tires but looking at the GoodYear chart, I should be just fine running at 95 PSI. I have been running between 100 and 110 for most of the 40K on the other set of tires. I have not had any heating issues or other tire issues.

Thanks for this thread, and all the positive comments and information!

George

Comment

Working...
                          X