No announcement yet.

Rim pilot diameter required - center opening in wheel to fit Brake hub on 220RK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim pilot diameter required - center opening in wheel to fit Brake hub on 220RK

GDRV-Emily GDRV-Megan

Hope you both had a great weekend.

Folks I am stumped. I have Dexter axles #7763221 (4200# I think) from Information on axle tag. In the parts lookup https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...y/parts-lookup GD show 5 axles, including 5200# ones. None of the part numbers match anything on Dexter's web sight. https://www.dexteraxle.com/?gclid=EA...SAAEgLsrfD_BwE In addition the parts look up does not show replacement brake parts (drum and components, unless I missed it. Was hoping with the Dexter part number for the drum I might find the outside diameter of the center hub.

What I am trying to do is up size from 15" to 16" rims to get better tire selection and gain a bit of height for my new truck. However the 16" rims I am finding that have the 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern (what I currently have), have various center pilot hole sizes.

The current Lionshead Jaguar rims I have, have a 4.25" pilot hole, however one person posted that a 3.75" dia pilot hole rim fit his GD Trailer. http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/t16mb.html#

Can your expert staff tell me for my unit and Dexter provide brake drum, what is the minimum pilot hole required to fit the brake drum and fit around the easy lube center hub? Also having part numbers for my brake drum and electric components would help (wear items)
    Vin - 573FR2725J3406349

Yes I could jack the trailer up and pull a wheel and measure, but with the mud and snow around the trailer it would be a major undertaking. I was hoping to find dimensions somewhere. Maybe someone has already done this on a 220RK

Thanks for any help
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda the axles are rated at 4400# according to your weight sheet under your VIN..... Maybe I am not understanding the terminology you are using.... Rim Pilot? I would need to get with Dexter in regard to that as I am not sure I am understanding correctly.... but maybe the corrected axle rating will help you in your search in the mean time?

Comment

Yoda

Hi Keith

The rim pilot diameter does not matter on trailer wheels as long as it is large enough to clear the centre of the hub. The wheel is centred on the bolt circle. The wheel fits over the centre of the hub, but is not a tight "centred" fit to this part of the hub. Some cars & trucks centre the wheel on a raised centre pilot on the hub . . . but, I have never seen this on a trailer hub.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda

Hi Keith

The rim pilot diameter does not matter on trailer wheels as long as it is large enough to clear the centre of the hub. The wheel is centred on the bolt circle. The wheel fits over the centre of the hub, but is not a tight "centred" fit to this part of the hub. Some cars & trucks centre the wheel on a raised centre pilot on the hub . . . but, I have never seen this on a trailer hub.

Rob
        Rob - Thanks for a better explanation. GDRV-Emily Its the center of the hub that Rob mentions that I need the dimension on - when the wheel bolts on the hub center (where outer axle bearings are inside) sticks out through the center of the wheel rim. Rob - its good to know the RV rims are not hub centric. Emily - if you get time, look at the parts look up on the GD web page and notice that the wrong axles may be shown for my 2018 model, or did the later models get the 5200lbs ones? Also the part numbers shown for the 4400lb do not match any of the tags on the axles.

Emily - Rob - Thanks for the help on this.
        Keith

PS GDRV-Emily - what in the world are you doing working on the weekend - a holiday one at that - Your an thanks
        Last edited by Yoda; 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda
          Hi Keith,

I would suggest that you contact Dexter directly with the info on your axle tags. They have a lot of details available online, but I can't find any cross reference to the axle PN that you posted. https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=543ae348_0
          Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have emailed Dexter with my questions, but did find a picture in the parts lookup that has my axle part number 7763221 to the side. Left hand column.

I have also asked Dexter for the part numbers of the usual wear items for drums, brake components, and bearings. These do not appear to be on the Grand Design parts look up page. Hopefully they are Std for all 2018 Reflection 220RK. Ill try and post back if Dexter responds.

Thanks for the help folks.

Comment

Yoda

Hi Keith,
              Since you are going to all this trouble . . . there is another solution, for not a lot more money . . .
              Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	12751
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda

Hi Keith,
                Since you are going to all this trouble . . . there is another solution, for not a lot more money . . .
                Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	12751
                Haven't you cost me enough $$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Well this week I spent over 45 minutes WAITING on the phone for a Dexter customer service person. I kept being bounced around and disconnected by their robot system. I did finally get through, and got some valid part numbers for the drum, etc, but when I asked about the hub diameter, she did not know and I was transferred to the robot call center. Again the robot sent me round and round. Well to make a long story short with the drum part number I called E-trailer and the fantastic service folks there went out to their warehouse and measured. Just over 3.6". I also verified elsewhere where they said 3.5+" So based on this information a wheel with a Pilot hole of 3.75" to 4.25 (stock) will fit. Someone posted using a 3.75" center hole wheel on their unit.

I have on order the following in 16". http://sendelwheel.com/wheels/t13.html This is a 3750 lbs rated 110 PSI rim. There is room for the 16" tires on my rig based on gleaming lots of information around the web, but I will wait for a sale to get those. Discount tire got me a very good price on the rims.

BTW - also based on prelim information there are spring packs available (5 to 6K ones) that have a higher arch that can get me the lift I need verses blocks that could put additional stress on the axle, springs, and hangers. Buts that's for another day when I get my new truck - probably a year out.

I hope this helps others
                  Keith

Comment

Yoda
                    Hi Keith . . . Great "perseverance" with Dexter and a + for Etrailer. LOL!

I would be interested in learning more about the 5 to 6K spring packs with higher arch height. I looked for something like this when I was fiddling around with springs on my 303 to get it to ride level side-to-side. I could still use a little trailer lift to tow perfectly level fore/aft.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda
                      Hi Keith . . . Great "perseverance" with Dexter and a + for Etrailer. LOL!

I would be interested in learning more about the 5 to 6K spring packs with higher arch height. I looked for something like this when I was fiddling around with springs on my 303 to get it to ride level side-to-side. I could still use a little trailer lift to tow perfectly level fore/aft.

Rob
                      When I get to that point I will be using a commercial spring shop - one that has high ratings and does commercial trucks. If you have such a shop near you drop in and ask.

I used such a shop on my first 5th wheel (new sub frame) and upgraded axles to get me my lift needed. The stock axles were underrated for the trailer, even packed light (Thor Wanderer) Thor would do zilch to help when I wore out the first set of tires in 1000 miles. Dealer thought it was out of alignment /bent axles - thus the trip to the spring shop where they weighed each axle and pin weight. Found axles were overloaded.

Fortunately I have a highly rated spring and frame shop in Farmington NM - about an hour away. In chatting with them they want to see the loaded RV and truck before making any decisions. From the discussion I feel confident they know their stuff. They can order pe-made spring packs or build custom. He did say Dexter was better than Lippert, but they all under design the suspensions (design light) and not real world. While it is there I will have the alignment and frame checked. They upgrade and fix trailer frames if needed. More later as things progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X