Armoring underside above tires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armoring underside above tires.

Mods - I was not sure where to put this so if it is in the wrong spot please move.

I know this has been done before, but i cant find a link in my searching. Anyway on my round-to-it list is plating/armor above the tires. I have access to diamond plate in various thickness from 1/8 to 1/4, including plastic stuff. Same for flat stock, but down to 1/16. I also have a great fabricator that can water jet/plasma cut anything I need in any shape at a reasonable cost.

Questions -
    What thickness should I use?
    Attachment - how long a screw can I use without penetrating the floor? Im guessing not much over 3/4, but may use plusnuts.
    Should I remove the fabric and glue directly the the sub-floor?
    Should I build lips on the edges, - sorta of an inner fender well?

Fabricator is recommending 3/16 aluminum diamond plate (not the cheapest). I can also go with just flat plate stock and not use diamond plate (some cost savings)

I plan to mock it up with hardy board first to figure things out. I am fair at woodworking.

BTW - in case you think I am nuts - YES you are correct. I do these things to stay busy and keep my engineering mind sharp

Any thoughts, links, suggestions would be a great help.

Have a great week folks.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,

I would use flat plate. There is no need to have diamond plate in the wheel well.

Jim

Comment

I would be very careful about adding any thickness to the underside of the slides. You could risk tearing up interior flooring when bringing the slide in.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        I would be very careful about adding any thickness to the underside of the slides. You could risk tearing up interior flooring when bringing the slide in.

Rob
        Good catch - I will definitely check clearances. However this area never retracts inside. Only moves out from the retracted location.

Thanks for the help folks
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith - Yoda - Jim TucsonJim did this to his 337 years ago. He shared details and pictures on the plate he used, screws, etc. Possibly Jim may still have this information and can share it.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
            Keith - Yoda - Jim TucsonJim did this to his 337 years ago. He shared details and pictures on the plate he used, screws, etc. Possibly Jim may still have this information and can share it.

Dan
            Thanks Dan
            If TucsonJim did it I am sure it was done right
            Maybe the info is over at the other place

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Thanks Dan
              If TucsonJim did it I am sure it was done right
              Maybe the info is over at the other place
              Ah-ha! I still have the pictures. I used approximately 1/8" stainless steel which was very expensive. 1/8" aluminum would be much cheaper. I used 1" self tapping stainless screws.

Remember, all you're trying to do is keep a shredded tire from ripping up the fender well. When my Westlake tire threw it's cap, it tore out the membrane, insulation and tore a hole through the sub-floor. Like Dan said, it was on my 337. I never have done this on my current rig, but I still think it's a good idea.

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Ah-ha! I still have the pictures. I used approximately 1/8" stainless steel which was very expensive. 1/8" aluminum would be much cheaper. I used 1" self tapping stainless screws.

Remember, all you're trying to do is keep a shredded tire from ripping up the fender well. When my Westlake tire threw it's cap, it tore out the membrane, insulation and tore a hole through the sub-floor. Like Dan said, it was on my 337. I never have done this on my current rig, but I still think it's a good idea.
                Way to go Jim - Thanks
                Keith

As I get into this I will post pictures.

Comment

TucsonJim
                  I remember when you did this originally . . . and it was on my "round tuit" list but kind of got forgotten.

Yoda

This is back on my project list as well (I also remember the pictures that Jim posted of the damage done by the flailing tire).

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    TucsonJim
                    I remember when you did this originally . . . and it was on my "round tuit" list but kind of got forgotten.

Rob
                    Here's one where you can see the hole it put in the OSB flooring. That black spot is the bottom of the linoleum flooring. Although it didn't punch a hole all the way through the linoleum, it was deformed pretty badly.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                    X