Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Techniques for lifting the RV until wheels are off the ground

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by chrisopy View Post



    Hi Rob,
    Just joined the forum and was reading this thread as I was preparing to manually adjust my brakes on my 2020 mk2670. Thought they were the never adjust when I bought it from the dealer, but he obviously didn't know enough. Partly blame myself since I pay so much attention to detail. Anyways, I was wondering about your saddle attachment for lifting between the U-bolts. I assume you mean the axle section between the U-bolt and the tire. I've seen mixed opinions on the internet about where you can or should jack up your trailer. I went and bought some wood today to make cribbing to give my bottle jack and jack stand extra height if I do it by the frame. I did it this way before by placing the bottle jack on some wood close to the leaf spring hanger and then a jack stand to the rear of the bottle jack. I just want to adjust my brakes and wonder is it safe to jack under the axle tube for this? It would be easier if it's safe on the tube. If I went this way, I would still need some cribbing and a jack stand to support the frame. Any recommendations on attachments for a bottle jack for jacking under the axle tube. Thanks.
    Hi Chris,

    Welcome to this forum!

    If you look carefully at the pdf attachment to post 11, you can see that the jacks are lifting on the axle tube between the U bolts. There would not be enough space for the jack base between the U bolts and the tire. The important part of this is to have an adapter that is a heavy wall half circle of 3" ID pipe that will nest to the axle tube without creating a point of hard contact that might dent the axle tube. The bottom of this adapter should be another piece of pipe with an ID to fit the top of your jack. If you do not have such an adapter, the next best way to do this is lifting with a block of wood under the U bolts.

    In the attached picture are two adapters that I made for this purpose. The one on the left turned out to be too short and you can see the witness mark where the shoulder of the adapter interfered with the U bolt. The taller one on the right worked better.

    Remember that whatever jack you use should not block access to the brake adjustment hole in the backing plate.

    Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel and their kitty Gracie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 Ecoboost F150 with Heavy Duty Payload Package
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

      Hi Chris,

      Welcome to this forum!

      If you look carefully at the pdf attachment to post 11, you can see that the jacks are lifting on the axle tube between the U bolts. There would not be enough space for the jack base between the U bolts and the tire. The important part of this is to have an adapter that is a heavy wall half circle of 3" ID pipe that will nest to the axle tube without creating a point of hard contact that might dent the axle tube. The bottom of this adapter should be another piece of pipe with an ID to fit the top of your jack. If you do not have such an adapter, the next best way to do this is lifting with a block of wood under the U bolts.

      In the attached picture are two adapters that I made for this purpose. The one on the left turned out to be too short and you can see the witness mark where the shoulder of the adapter interfered with the U bolt. The taller one on the right worked better.

      Remember that whatever jack you use should not block access to the brake adjustment hole in the backing plate.

      Rob
      Thanks Rob! I understand now to go between the U-bolts and just didn't want to make the mistake of denting the axle. I did try a block of wood once under the U bolts, not necessarily between them. Once I started hearing crushing, most likely just from the wood, I backed off. If I can't find a saddle like this online for a bottle jack, I'll have a local fabrication shop make me one.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

        Thanks Rob! I understand now to go between the U-bolts and just didn't want to make the mistake of denting the axle. I did try a block of wood once under the U bolts, not necessarily between them. Once I started hearing crushing, most likely just from the wood, I backed off. If I can't find a saddle like this online for a bottle jack, I'll have a local fabrication shop make me one.
        @chisopy. Bottlejackbuddy.net, has the 3" saddle for the axles. That is where I got mine.
        Attached Files
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        2013 Ford F250, CCSB 6.7 Diesel, 4x2

        Comment


        • #19
          This is what I made for my bottle jack. I used a 6x6” piece of 3/4” birch plywood and added a 1/4” strip that goes between the u-bolts. I put a piece of scrap metal on the bottom so the bottle jack doesn’t destroy the jig when the weight is on it. Works great and no cracking sounds.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	08B23E81-A650-44BD-A74E-643DF9EA8660.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	19020
          Click image for larger version

Name:	9C4F4BC7-0BCA-48C2-B916-D766E533A012.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	19021

          Bob & Val
          2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
          2018 Reflection 295RL

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Superduty View Post

            @chisopy. Bottlejackbuddy.net, has the 3" saddle for the axles. That is where I got mine.
            Thanks, I'll check them out.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
              This is what I made for my bottle jack. I used a 6x6” piece of 3/4” birch plywood and added a 1/4” strip that goes between the u-bolts. I put a piece of scrap metal on the bottom so the bottle jack doesn’t destroy the jig when the weight is on it. Works great and no cracking sounds.

              Click image for larger version  Name:	08B23E81-A650-44BD-A74E-643DF9EA8660.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	19020
              Click image for larger version  Name:	9C4F4BC7-0BCA-48C2-B916-D766E533A012.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	19021
              Are you still able to have clearance to adjust your brakes between the jack and wheel or do you have the self adjusting brakes?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

                Are you still able to have clearance to adjust your brakes between the jack and wheel or do you have the self adjusting brakes?
                The jig is just slightly wider than the span between the 2 u bolts, so there should be enough space to adjust the brakes.
                Bob & Val
                2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                2018 Reflection 295RL

                Comment


                • #23
                  Has anyone used the trucks included bottle jack as a second one to lift trailer tire? I can’t find what the rating is the truck manual or online. My main bottle jack is an 8 ton fitted with a bottle jack buddy. Just wondering if I need to buy a second one or just use what came with my truck an F350.

                  vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls. Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW. Demco Recon

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X