Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

Hi Rob,
    Just joined the forum and was reading this thread as I was preparing to manually adjust my brakes on my 2020 mk2670. Thought they were the never adjust when I bought it from the dealer, but he obviously didn't know enough. Partly blame myself since I pay so much attention to detail. Anyways, I was wondering about your saddle attachment for lifting between the U-bolts. I assume you mean the axle section between the U-bolt and the tire. I've seen mixed opinions on the internet about where you can or should jack up your trailer. I went and bought some wood today to make cribbing to give my bottle jack and jack stand extra height if I do it by the frame. I did it this way before by placing the bottle jack on some wood close to the leaf spring hanger and then a jack stand to the rear of the bottle jack. I just want to adjust my brakes and wonder is it safe to jack under the axle tube for this? It would be easier if it's safe on the tube. If I went this way, I would still need some cribbing and a jack stand to support the frame. Any recommendations on attachments for a bottle jack for jacking under the axle tube. Thanks.
    Hi Chris,

Welcome to this forum!

If you look carefully at the pdf attachment to post 11, you can see that the jacks are lifting on the axle tube between the U bolts. There would not be enough space for the jack base between the U bolts and the tire. The important part of this is to have an adapter that is a heavy wall half circle of 3" ID pipe that will nest to the axle tube without creating a point of hard contact that might dent the axle tube. The bottom of this adapter should be another piece of pipe with an ID to fit the top of your jack. If you do not have such an adapter, the next best way to do this is lifting with a block of wood under the U bolts.

In the attached picture are two adapters that I made for this purpose. The one on the left turned out to be too short and you can see the witness mark where the shoulder of the adapter interfered with the U bolt. The taller one on the right worked better.

Remember that whatever jack you use should not block access to the brake adjustment hole in the backing plate.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Chris,

Welcome to this forum!

If you look carefully at the pdf attachment to post 11, you can see that the jacks are lifting on the axle tube between the U bolts. There would not be enough space for the jack base between the U bolts and the tire. The important part of this is to have an adapter that is a heavy wall half circle of 3" ID pipe that will nest to the axle tube without creating a point of hard contact that might dent the axle tube. The bottom of this adapter should be another piece of pipe with an ID to fit the top of your jack. If you do not have such an adapter, the next best way to do this is lifting with a block of wood under the U bolts.

In the attached picture are two adapters that I made for this purpose. The one on the left turned out to be too short and you can see the witness mark where the shoulder of the adapter interfered with the U bolt. The taller one on the right worked better.

Remember that whatever jack you use should not block access to the brake adjustment hole in the backing plate.

Rob
      Thanks Rob! I understand now to go between the U-bolts and just didn't want to make the mistake of denting the axle. I did try a block of wood once under the U bolts, not necessarily between them. Once I started hearing crushing, most likely just from the wood, I backed off. If I can't find a saddle like this online for a bottle jack, I'll have a local fabrication shop make me one.
      2020 Imagine MK2670
      2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Thanks Rob! I understand now to go between the U-bolts and just didn't want to make the mistake of denting the axle. I did try a block of wood once under the U bolts, not necessarily between them. Once I started hearing crushing, most likely just from the wood, I backed off. If I can't find a saddle like this online for a bottle jack, I'll have a local fabrication shop make me one.
        @chisopy. Bottlejackbuddy.net, has the 3" saddle for the axles. That is where I got mine.
        Attached Files
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

This is what I made for my bottle jack. I used a 6x6” piece of 3/4” birch plywood and added a 1/4” strip that goes between the u-bolts. I put a piece of scrap metal on the bottom so the bottle jack doesn’t destroy the jig when the weight is on it. Works great and no cracking sounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08B23E81-A650-44BD-A74E-643DF9EA8660.jpeg
Views:	956
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	19020
          Click image for larger version

Name:	9C4F4BC7-0BCA-48C2-B916-D766E533A012.jpeg
Views:	913
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	19021

2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
          2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post

@chisopy. Bottlejackbuddy.net, has the 3" saddle for the axles. That is where I got mine.
            Thanks, I'll check them out.
            2020 Imagine MK2670

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
              This is what I made for my bottle jack. I used a 6x6” piece of 3/4” birch plywood and added a 1/4” strip that goes between the u-bolts. I put a piece of scrap metal on the bottom so the bottle jack doesn’t destroy the jig when the weight is on it. Works great and no cracking sounds.

Click image for larger version  Name:	08B23E81-A650-44BD-A74E-643DF9EA8660.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	127.4 KB ID:	19020
              Click image for larger version  Name:	9C4F4BC7-0BCA-48C2-B916-D766E533A012.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	139.4 KB ID:	19021
              Are you still able to have clearance to adjust your brakes between the jack and wheel or do you have the self adjusting brakes?
              2020 Imagine MK2670

Comment

Are you still able to have clearance to adjust your brakes between the jack and wheel or do you have the self adjusting brakes?
                The jig is just slightly wider than the span between the 2 u bolts, so there should be enough space to adjust the brakes.
                2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Has anyone used the trucks included bottle jack as a second one to lift trailer tire? I can’t find what the rating is the truck manual or online. My main bottle jack is an 8 ton fitted with a bottle jack buddy. Just wondering if I need to buy a second one or just use what came with my truck an F350.

vivian
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

Hello All

At the end of last camping season we started hearing some squeaks from our suspension, which likely means our nylon bushings are ready to be replaced. I am planning on doing the 'typical' MorRyde upgrade, including the CRE2-35 equalizer and U012-016 heavy-duty shackles for our trailer, and the installation seems straightforward, but it's just that for me, 'seems'. Reviewing information online, including some of the posts users here have made on the 'other' forum, and again the installation looks fairly straightforward, but if anyone has any additional tips to make it easier please let me know!

The one topic that makes me go is lifting the trailer, so I wanted to confirm my 'technique', and I understand that ultimately I am responsible for safely lifting the trailer. However, I would love to get some form on confirmation from the group and make sure I am on the right track. Since there are several threads on this topic for other models of trailers, I didn't want to start a new one. Rather, I thought I would just revive this topic as there are some good tipis here.

Based on the one tip provided by Cate&Rob in this thread in post 5, it's best to only work on one side of the trailer at a time, which will help keep the axles in the correct orientation and avoid flipping the shackles. To accomplish this, my plan of attack was to work on one side at a time, placing jack stands under the spacer beam that is installed just under the main I-beam of the frame. After leveling the trailer, I would place the jack stands under the spacer, just making contact with it and not yet lifting the trailer. Then, I would lift each tire with a jack under each axle, using a saddle between the axle itself and the jack, positioned between the u-bolts. Once the tires are lifted off the ground, remove them, and then lower the jacks that are under the axles, until the frame is resting on the jack stands. To me, this lifting technique will avoid lifting one side of the trailer much higher than the other, keeping everything more level and the weight properly distributed.

Does this method seem acceptable and safe for the frame? After doing the MorRyde installation, will I be able to lift the axles again, getting them high enough to install the tires and take the jack stands out?

For reference, this spacer beam is on both sides of my trailer. As you can see in picture 1, which is showing the curb side, the spacer runs just longer than where the hangers are positioned. Photo 2 shows the street side, where the spacer is much longer and runs the entire length of the slide above it.

Thanks all, and I appreciate any additional tips if you have them. Perhaps if there are enough 'equalizer and shackle installation tips', we could start a reference thread? If there is enough information, I am happy to help gather it in one place
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by StephenO; 01-23-2022, 07:15 PM.
                    2019 Imagine 2400BH
                    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

StephenO

I think you have a pretty solid plan for this modification. Make sure to chock the tires on the side opposite to what you are working on. You may find that the jack stands might be too close to the spring hanger to remove and replace the bushings so you might want to move them out on the frame instead of the crush tube, just add some blocking under the jack stand or between the jack stand and the frame, watch the propane line. The only other thing I can think of is getting the jack out from underneath the axle when you try to lower it so it is hanging on the spring, you may need to have the camper frame up pretty high maybe 6" higher than as it sits when level. If you are using a floor jack on the axel it will be much lower than a bottle jack which may help. As you know pictures and lessons learned are always welcome.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did what you are planning to do on SOB and only lifted one side, removed the wheels, then removed the old hardware and installed the new wet bolts and flex equalizer - one bolt at a time - removed the old one, then inserted the new one. Then lowered that side and repeated on the other side. The trailer does not have to be level to do the bolt and bushing job.
                        If it is wet bolts you are installing, ensure that the grease holes are at 3 and/or 9 o'clock, or at least close to that. Otherwise greasing becomes a little difficult. You can't 'clock' them after installation.
                        Sometimes getting the shackles and spring eyes aligned well enough to insert the bolt is tricky. I found a floor jack under the brake drum effective if you need to raise it a bit to get things lined up.
                        It's an easy afternoon job.
                        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
                        X