Goodyear Endurance Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear Endurance Tires

So i have recently replaced the Westlake tires with new Goodyear Endurance tires. My size is 235/80/16 Load E.
    My tire weight , weighed at scales , is 2100# per each tire.
    My question to all is.....

According to the Goodyear inflation chart , see attached , I can run these tires at 35 psi.

Would any of you do this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inflation Chart.jpg
Views:	2187
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	13863

I am scared to run these tires at 35psi .

Thanks all,

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

I run mine at 80 psi and I dont think I would ever go less than 65 psi blowouts really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      So i have recently replaced the Westlake tires with new Goodyear Endurance tires. My size is 235/80/16 Load E.
      My tire weight , weighed at scales , is 2100# per each tire.
      My question to all is.....

According to the Goodyear inflation chart , see attached , I can run these tires at 35 psi.

Would any of you do this?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Inflation Chart.jpg Views:	15 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	13863

I am scared to run these tires at 35psi .

Thanks all,

Brian
      Brian,

The tables were designed by Goodyear engineers with plenty of testing. However, taking the reading at each axle and dividing by 2 (if each axle is weighed independently) may not completely be accurate where you could have one tire carrying more mass than another. For instance with varying side to side loads. It would be best to measure side to side where you can add in 5-10 percent for a cushion to account for various loading from trip to trip. I'm in the same boat with the recommended pressure but at 65psi I am over so I will be experimenting this summer with lower pressures plus a cushion. And will monitor temperature closely.

I found some interesting verbiage in the GDRV owners manual that quotes and supports the use of these tables.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Country Campers
        Hi Brian,

I have some first hand insight into the extensive testing done by tire manufacturers. I know that their recommendation sounds ridiculously low by "traditional" trailer standards.
        Running beyond the recommended pressure means that the tread is likely convex, thus less than full contact with the road surface. This will affect tire wear and braking capability. The trailer will be getting a rougher ride than necessary at a higher than necessary pressure.

Running these E spec tires at their sidewall max rating of 80 psi would definitely be too much. I would be inclined to split the difference and start at something like 60 psi. After a highway run, as soon as possible measure temperatures across the tread. This will tell you whether the tread is running convex (hot center), concave (hot shoulders), or flat (uniform temp across the tread). The goal is keeping the tread flat on the road with the lowest pressure to soften the ride for the trailer.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Country CampersI would be inclined to split the difference and start at something like 60 psi. After a highway run, as soon as possible measure temperatures across the tread. This will tell you whether the tread is running convex (hot center), concave (hot shoulders), or flat (uniform temp across the tread). The goal is keeping the tread flat on the road with the lowest pressure to soften the ride for the trailer.
          Ooooo...this is new! Or have I missed it previously? I gotta try this on the way home. I'll post the results here.

Is three points on the tire sufficient? I assume inside edge, middle, and outside edge?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ooooo...this is new! Or have I missed it previously? I gotta try this on the way home. I'll post the results here.

Is three points on the tire sufficient? I assume inside edge, middle, and outside edge?
            Hi Howard,

I don't think we have really discussed this WRT trailers. The tire/road interface will not be different than it is for other vehicles. Tread temperature readings do need a warm dry road surface for best measurement results. (Will not likely work where you are currently travelling!) Some of the more "fun" assignments of my employment career were "at the track".

The three points that you describe will be sufficient. You have to be fast to get these as accurately as possible after pulling off the highway. Differences tire-to tire will identify alignment issues . . . but, that is a whole other discussion .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We have to also take sun load into account on the temperatures. The sun load on one side would have higher temperatures than the shade side. Something to also take into account.

Jim

Comment

So I have these tires installed and pressure set at 65 psi. , will keep a watchful eye on them.

My next question involves balancing.

I have never had trailer tires balanced but I asked that these were to be balanced. I also asked that the weights be added to the inside lip of the wheel. The shop used stick on weights that are attached to the inner portion of the wheel , the area next to the brake drum. I have noticed that the weights are generally in the same area on all 4 wheels , about 180 from the valve stem. The amount of weight is curious to me , about 2-4 ounces per wheel.
                So my question is, Is this a lot of weight? What has others experienced?

I have also been informed , by she who knows everything , that a trailer wheel does no locate on the hub but rather by the nuts and studs , I new this but did not think about it. I did not get to witness the installation or the act of balancing , that really stuck in my craw. The shop seemed pretty good but tried to talk me out of balancing these tires , but did balance them, and I am not sure how.

Having a machining background it is my assumption , I know I know , these wheels are machined it 2 setups , front and back , and therefore should be machined on the same center line and be really close to perfect side to side. I realize these are made in the never never land but still should be pretty close.

So let me know your thoughts.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hi Brian.

I also had my replacement (Maxxis) tires balanced. 2 oz would seem reasonable. 4 oz sounds like a lot. I asked the tire shop manager about using lug centric balancing and he advised that their current generation balancing machines have no way of doing this . . . although, he did know what I was talking about. With machined alloy wheels, it would seem reasonable to expect that the bolt circle is concentric with the hub bore that the balancer centres on. In the days of stamped steel wheels this might not have been the case. I was able to watch the tire mounting and balancing of my tires. There was no visible hop or runout as the machine spun the wheel and tire.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I like to run my trailer tires 5 LB under max rating, to allow for heat expansion.

Comment

Working...
                    X