Best infrared gun / multitasker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best infrared gun / multitasker

OK folks the engineer and cook in me is looking for the best (good) Infrared gun. Yes that is a very dangerous situation - an engineer cooking

Many of you mention checking tires and bearings with one, and too many shows of Alton Brown, makes me think I need one for the various critical tire checks, etc. I have tried searching and everyone makes the best unit per the reviews, but I want the truth. What are folks using?

Would be nice to use it in the house for cooking too - who knows, it might come out edible Might making getting one past the CFO a bit easier too.

Thanks for any help/links
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith

They start cheap and go way past my budget. I use a $25 dollar one I got at Lowes a few years back. I am not sure how accurate it is but seems pretty close. Never used it for food though , I cook by feel.
    Enjoy the search , I think any will do the job.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
      I wouldn't think an Infrared would work for cooking anything, since they measure surface temperature, not the internal temperature. Same way on the tires and hub and such. With Infrared, you aren't seeing internal temps when you're measuring tire/hub temperatures, but as long as they are all fairly close, temperature wise, you're probably OK
      In cooking it would be for oil temp for deep frying and grill surface temp for good searing.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Keith,

I have three of these infrared temperature measuring devices. The first one (from many years ago) cost me something like $200 (yikes!). The next one (about 5 years ago) was a "great deal" at about $50. The last one (a deal I couldn't turn down) was about $20. I have tried them side by side by side on the same hot metal surface and there is no significant difference in reading. (Go with the Harbour Freight $20 one . . . the CFO will like this plan).

I use these gauges for tires, hubs, grill and oven temps. They obviously measure surface temps, not internal temps, but they are accurate at measuring the temperature of what they can "see".

Agreed that an "engineer cooking" is not the best plan. I just confirm the grill/oven temp and turn the skilled work over to Cate .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Mine is a Etekcity Lasergrip 774, $16 at Amazon.com. Works quite well for a variety of applications, like calibrating my immersion cooker. I also use it when I'm smoking meats because I can measure the surface of the cooker without opening up to know that I am at the right temp.
          The Fraser Family
          Watertown, WI
          2020 GDRV Imagine 2800BH
          2017 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 rear

Comment

I have two of them. The most expensive is a 7 year old Craftsman which ran about $40, if I remember correctly. The other is from Harbor Freight. The Craftsman sits in the storage bin between the truck seats, the HF is in my toolbox. Both seem to be accurate (checked against a $200 unit).
            2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
            2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
            FMCA # 489460

Comment

Working...
            X