Hub surface temperature after bearing replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hub surface temperature after bearing replacement

Boo hoo I burned up a bearing on my 1 year old Performance Trailer Kodiak disk brake upgrade. Caught it pretty early so it was an easy fix. Well shoot, if one is bad what do the other's look like. One other was going as well. So I decided to get all the bearings replaced. Ok, they are all off, replace all the brake pads too, just in case.

I stick my my heat sensor in the wholes of the wheels and check the surface temps of the hubs at rest/potty stops. Typically 120-140f. After the bearing replacement from a trailer repair facility my surface temps are running around 240. Good part is that it is the same on all six wheels. Bad part is that I thinks that's pretty hot. I've got about 400 miles on them now. Temps are starting to drop, 220. I will add some grease today to see if that helps.

Does anyone see a problem here or am I just being a little paranoid about the higher temps?

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

That seems pretty warm to me. I never saw hub temps above the low 100's on my prior two RV's. Sorry for the simple question but do the wheels spin freely when unloaded?
    Last edited by bertschb; 03-11-2020, 01:55 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
      I will add some grease today to see if that helps.
      Hi Dallas,

This does not seem like a good idea. If you are going to transition from hand packed bearings to zerk injected grease, it is going to take a lot of grease to fill the centre cavity and get to the outer bearing. I agree that 200+ is too warm. If you lift a wheel (which you should do to inject grease anyway) there should be enough play (top to bottom with everything cold) that you can feel. If not . . . the retaining nut is too tight.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Too hot! Seems like the castle nut might be installed too tight.
        Jim (& Sharon)
        2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
        2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
        The toys:
        2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
        2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Well I had hoped not to have to work too hard at this. But it looks like it's time for me to spend a day with my wheels. Thanks for the affirmation that I have a problem. It's disappointing that a professional trailer place could not do a proper bearing installation.

In 400 miles I will be someplace where I will be parked for a month. I think I will just check them frequently and see if any go supernova on me and then pull them when I have lots of time.

Comment

Update; I did nothing. 2 days of hot running, sat for a week. Today's run was around 250 miles. Temps were down around 140-180. Granted it was raining so running cooler. But I am thinking the new bearings are getting seated (whatever that means) and running more efficiently.

Comment

Working...
            X