Emergency Brake Cable Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Brake Cable Replacement

Have you checked the routing of your emergency brake cable? If not, see this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-was-on-wrong

Since removing the OEM-provided cable from the chains as documented in the linked thread, I've fought with getting the cable attached without it dragging on the ground. I also was never quite content with how I had it all connected. For $12, I swapped the pin and cable assembly out with a new one. (I kept the original setup as a spare.)

Not the most exciting mod, but someone may find this information useful. If nothing else, check your cable routing!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Cable.JPG Views:	164 Size:	157.5 KB ID:	14389

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Cable.JPG Views:	160 Size:	314.7 KB ID:	14390

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Cable 2.JPG Views:	157 Size:	129.6 KB ID:	14391

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fastronix Cable.JPG Views:	226 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	14388
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 08:18 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard

Did you measure the original cable length and then get this new one to match that length , when stretched out?

Having a fifth wheel I am curious about a length that would do the job. Mine is pretty long in my opinion but not sure about going shorter.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Howard

Did you measure the original cable length and then get this new one to match that length , when stretched out?

Having a fifth wheel I am curious about a length that would do the job. Mine is pretty long in my opinion but not sure about going shorter.

Brian
      On my travel trailer the replacement cord easily stretches to the same length as the original. I am not sure about a 5vr as I have no hands-on experience.

There is a 6' version. If I goofed on the length (I bought the 4' version) I'll find out soon enough the first time I take a tight turn.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6ft.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	14395
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I use the short version on my Solitude. Was at first concerned, but after two years have had no problems with it, even with 90* turns.
        Paul & Sue
        '18 310 GK 10/17 Build
        '15 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

I did the same swap. I like it way better than the original cable.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

The other thing I've been reading about is never have the brake cable attached to the hitch or where your chains attach. If your hitch completely breaks (not likely but it's happened) then your brake cable goes with the hitch/trailer so the cable never gets pulled and trailer keeps going. For 5th wheel setups they attach it directly to the truck. For TT's they usually put a hook eye up by the license plate to attach the brake cable to.

I did the TT license plate mod the other day. Took maybe 5 minutes. The hook eye goes through the license plate, through the metal back plate. There's fender washer and nylon lock nut on the back side holding it all on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brakeattachment.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	14417

​​​​​​​
            Charles and Susan
            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
              I did the TT license plate mod the other day. Took maybe 5 minutes. The hook eye goes through the license plate, through the metal back plate. There's fender washer and nylon lock nut on the back side holding it all on.
              I've never seen that mod before--thanks for posting!

Comment

I have done this swap as well. Used the 4' cable and have had no issues in 6000 miles.

I love the license plate eye bolt idea. I have been struggling on my 2019 RAM 3500 to find a good place to hook up to. I think I have found a winner.

Rob
                Rob & Barb
                2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Was down in Florida last weekend and was browsing at lazy days. I noticed most of the rigs on the lot had the coiled cable now.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Bam! my whole rig stopped. Get out, didn't hit a tree, no rocks, so signs, no cats, what made my whole rig just stop? The emergency brake cable pulled loose on a tight turn. First time was a surprise. Second time was less surprising but just as annoying. Third time I am getting annoyed and start thinking about doing something. Next opportunity I get out and unclip it before it pulls free.

Bought some stuff at Ace to fix it, what, the hole in the pin is small. Drill it? Might be too weak. I an 8' cable, carabiner, quick link, and other stuff to "fix" the problem, but I am having trouble getting past the small hole in the end of the plastic piece. I'll eventually get around to figuring something out.

In the mean time; a fried of mine got side swipped while towing. They had the brake cable attached to the hitch, but when they rolled the hitch was torn from the truck, the brake break away did not engage. This created issues with the insurance claim, they eventually got it right, but there was a hassle. Try to clip your break away to the truck, not the hitch. Mostly it won't matter, but once it might.
                    Last edited by howson; 09-21-2020, 10:05 AM. Reason: Removed abbreviation to adult language (rule 3).
                    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
                      I am having trouble getting past the small hole in the end of the plastic piece. I'll eventually get around to figuring something out.
                      Try a really small split ring like for keys. That could go between the cable and the small hole in the brake pin.
                      Charles and Susan
                      Andersen Hitch
                      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I thought about that, but really wanted something stronger than the split rings I had on hand. I was really hoping the little carabiner or the quick link I bought would go through, nope. Settled into a place for a month, I'll get it worked out.
                        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
                          I thought about that, but really wanted something stronger than the split rings I had on hand. I was really hoping the little carabiner or the quick link I bought would go through, nope. Settled into a place for a month, I'll get it worked out.
                          This doesn't have to be strong only strong enough to pull the pin. Put a split ring on it then pull by hand to test it out.
                          ​​​​​
                          Charles and Susan
                          Andersen Hitch
                          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
                          X