Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Bearing Maintenance Video (Adventure Rig)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Howard,

The races are separate parts that are pressed into the hub. These should always be changed if a bearing assembly is replaced. Bearings and races are made in matched sets and if the bearing assembly needs replacing (signs of scoring or discoloured from overheating) the race is also damaged . . . although that damage may not be as obvious.

Getting the old race out can be a challenge. Sometimes the lip of the race that can be accessed with a drift, is very narrow. While a brass drift is ideal, if this lip is narrow, it will tear the corner off the brass tool before the race moves. Sometimes a steel drift will work. Another method is to run a weld bead around the inside of the race. As the weld cools, it will shrink the race and the race will often fall out on its own.

The purpose of the 50 lb-ft preload is to make sure that the race and the bearing are fully seated and excess grease is squeezed out. It is important that the nut is backed off to only finger snug. With the wheel in place and when the hub is cold, you should be able to feel a small amount of play with the wheel lifted off the ground. If you did this same test with the hub at operating temperature, there will be no play. All these metal parts expand slightly with heat. This uses up the small amount of clearance that you could feel when things were cold. If the hub was tight when it was cold, it would be to tight at operating temperature.

Rob
    Just my experience but while you often can get bearings with races included, they are not necessarily "matched". Maybe some real expensive ones but not ones you'd get at a parts store. While bearings and races can be purchased separately it is usually preferable to buy the set so both are new. HOWEVER - either way, one should ALWAYS replace a race with a new one when a new bearing is installed.

Comment

Want to be sure folks understand that bearings and races are sold either together or the races and bearings can be sold separately which are matched through manufacturing practices. So we would never use a bearing from one company and the race from another as an example.

Expensive bearings can be lapped as a matched set but this is not what I am referring to.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plastictires View Post

Just my experience but while you often can get bearings with races included, they are not necessarily "matched". Maybe some real expensive ones but not ones you'd get at a parts store. While bearings and races can be purchased separately it is usually preferable to buy the set so both are new. HOWEVER - either way, one should ALWAYS replace a race with a new one when a new bearing is installed.
        It's awesome when a person's first post is an informative one--thanks for adding to this thread! I hope you'll continue to contribute.

-Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just recently replaced all of my bearings and races with brand new Timken brand. The bearings and races are sold separately and are not a match set in a single box. They are the same brand and are designed to work together. Personally, I do not believe you can find a better bearing manufacture. Their reputation is well deserved.

I agree with what was stated previously. If you are cleaning, checking, and repacking your bearings it is OK to use the same race if you have found no flaws with the bearing. However, if you are replacing the bearings you should also replace the race so that you have a new set combined.
          2018 Momentum 376TH
          2016 RAM 3500 Duall
          y

Comment

Originally posted by vonzoog View Post
            I just recently replaced all of my bearings and races with brand new Timken brand. The bearings and races are sold separately and are not a match set in a single box. They are the same brand and are designed to work together. Personally, I do not believe you can find a better bearing manufacture. Their reputation is well deserved.

I agree with what was stated previously. If you are cleaning, checking, and repacking your bearings it is OK to use the same race if you have found no flaws with the bearing. However, if you are replacing the bearings you should also replace the race so that you have a new set combined.
            I did this as well. I pulled mine last fall before heading out on a cross country trip. After cleaning them they did not show any scoring, but just did not roll right in my hand. I ordered new Timkin bearing and races and replaced the whole thing on all four wheels. Nothing like peace of mind when towing. First repack will be this fall, but I expect them to be rock solid. Nice thing about replacing them is you do not need to clean the old ones lol.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Showing my age......but thinking back to when I was a kid , we always tried to save at least one of the bearing sets and a set of seals to have as a spare just in case we needed it somewhere away from home like the side of the road! In those days we didn’t have nitrate gloves and we used good old hi-test leaded gasoline to clean hubs and bearings with! I worked weekends at a garage and did oil changes, lube jobs, bearings on mostly trucks( tandem dump trucks) I got paid 50 cents for a lube job 🥴
              Keith and Diane
              2014 Reflection 337 RLS
              2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                Showing my age......but thinking back to when I was a kid , we always tried to save at least one of the bearing sets and a set of seals to have as a spare just in case we needed it somewhere away from home like the side of the road! In those days we didn’t have nitrate gloves and we used good old hi-test leaded gasoline to clean hubs and bearings with! I worked weekends at a garage and did oil changes, lube jobs, bearings on mostly trucks( tandem dump trucks) I got paid 50 cents for a lube job 🥴
                I did exactly this. The bearings that I had replaced where in good shape. The grease was still good as well. I took a whole set, bearings, races, seal, still packed in grease and put them in a zipper bag and have them stored in the trailer. If needed they will be ready to go. It is always good to have a spare set to maybe get you where you are going.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We take delivery of our TT in about 3 weeks. What type of grease does GD use. I was told not to mix?
                  Dan and Debbie Charna
                  2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Charna View Post
                    We take delivery of our TT in about 3 weeks. What type of grease does GD use. I was told not to mix?
                    Your trailer will probably come equipped with Dexter axles. The Operation and Service Manual can be found here: https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources/manuals

I believe you'll want to reference this list. (When you get your trailer crawl underneath and you'll see labels attached which will tell you exactly what is on your trailer.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	These.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	34849

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard. Very helpful!
                      Dan and Debbie Charna
                      2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                        I pretty much do the same thing, with the exception that I will store a compete hub assy with the bearings packed and a new seal. It is way much easier and faster to replace the entire assy than disassemble, remove the races, install races and seal, then reassemble, especially on the side of the road. I use a 1/4 threaded rod thru two square pieces of plywood to keep it sealed. I haven't gotten the assy yet as we haven't made it too far out of my "comfort zone" where I know who to call and what to expect. I also need to get the proper hooks and a small section of chain in case I need to tie up an axle to move it.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Charna View Post
                          You do not want to mix grease. You also do not want to use the fancy grease zerk at the end of the spindle to add grease. If you push too much grease in or at a too high of a pressure you may push the grease past the rear seal and then onto the brakes , this is not a good situation. There are plenty of owners here that have had the "greased brakes" issue from the early years when GD installed Lippert axels with faulty rear seals that allowed the hand packed grease to flow out onto the brakes. Cleaning and hand repacking the bearings is the best way to do the bearing maintenance.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                            I have a needle attachment for a grease gun that I use instead of hand packing or a bearing packer. Nice simple tool and very little mess or clean up.
                            Here is a sample , I can not remember where I got mine from...https://locknlube.com/products/greas...All%20products

I have just did mine a few weeks ago , actually installed all new bearings , when greasing the bearing i just set it down in the cone and used the needle to grease between each bearing. When fully grease i just rotated the bearing in the cone to insure that all was coated.

Brian
                            +1 for the Lock N Lube company, they have quality stuff!
                            2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

Working...
                            X