Centramatic Balancers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centramatic Balancers

Knowing that GD doesn't balance trailer tires I wanted to do something about that. Unbalanced tires will put a shimmy in the trailer which can't be good for the trailer.
    The easiest solution (not the cheapest solution) was to get a set of Centramatic Balancers. (15", 6 lug wheels) Set of 4 right at $200.

​​​​​​Easy install. Jack the tire off the ground (used a Trailer Aide), removed the tire and hub cap. Slid the centramatic balancer over the lugs then put the tire back on. Don't forget to retorque the wheel. Repeat the procedure for all 4 tires.

Here's a couple of pictures.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cmbal1.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	15062
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cmbal2.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	15063

Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
    Knowing that GD doesn't balance trailer tires I wanted to do something about that. Unbalanced tires will put a shimmy in the trailer which can't be good for the trailer.
    The easiest solution (not the cheapest solution) was to get a set of Centramatic Balancers. (15", 6 lug wheels) Set of 4 right at $200.
    They are a very popular accessory on touring motorcycles like my Goldwing. I've used Dynabeads in my bike's tires (same principle) but gave up on those due to problems with the beads sticking from moisture in the tire, etc. Plus tire guys get a bit testy when the little white beads roll everywhere in their shop when they pull off the worn tire.

You are right that the Centramatic's are expensive, but I expect you'll get good service from them for as long as you own the trailer.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
      . . . Jack the tire off the ground (used a Trailer Aide), removed the tire and hub cap.
      Sorry for the off-topic question, but I just bought a Trailer Aid Plus -- before thinking it thru.

My question is, how do you keep from rolling the tire off the back side of the ramp without being able to see very well, especially on the *passenger* side of the trailer?

Seems getting DW to holler at you to STOP is problematic -- you're depending on the reaction time of two sets of aging reflexes.

I did discover a phone app that I installed on Renee's phone and my phone. If she points the phone at the ramp, I can see it on my phone -- sorta.

Please share your recent experiences.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
        My question is, how do you keep from rolling the tire off the back side of the ramp without being able to see very well, especially on the *passenger* side of the trailer?
        Someone recommended to me awhile ago to use 4x4 LO when backing onto Andersen Levelers. Same concept for the Trailer Aid (which I also have)--the lower gear makes it much easier to execute short movements.

BTW--have you actually attempted to use the Trailer Aid? As I learned, it didn't work until I added a piece of wood underneath it. (Stole the idea from "John612" who posted it on a forum-that-shall-not-be-named. His original post is from 2015!)

My 315RLTS the first time I tried to use the Trailer Aid--the front tire didn't come off the concrete. (Couldn't get the tire off. Yes, I was practicing. Everything was still so new back then...)
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Trailer Aid No Go.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	15126

John 612's mod:

Click image for larger version  Name:	John612-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	15127

Click image for larger version  Name:	John612-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	20.3 KB ID:	15128

Since I don't use my battery rails for a battery, that's where my Trailer Aid is stored with it's permanently-attached piece of wood. (Painted black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1082 (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.4 KB ID:	15129
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After you've used them a few times you can begin to feel when the tire goes over the initial first initial hump. Mrs skreef guides me into it. She says stop just as it starts to go over the first hump. At this point I think I could do it by myself

A couple of times when the ground wasn't level I used 3 orange leveling blocks to raise the trailer aide just a little bit. Worse case scenario you cold always let a bunch of air out of the tire which would give you another inch or two. Then just use your Viaire pump to get the pressure back again. I've never had to do this but the possibility is there.
          Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

BTW--have you actually attempted to use the Trailer Aid?
            Not yet. Just warming up enough in Minnesota to start thinking about playing outdoors again. I did order the Trailer Aid Plus, though. I'm hoping the extra height will work without help.

Also, thanks for that 4x4 Low suggestion. Sounds like a really good idea.

-Steve
            2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
            Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
            2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
            18k B&W Companion, non-slider
            640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
            Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
            Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
            X