Panhard Bar Prorotype Install - Reflection 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard Bar Prorotype Install - Reflection 303RLS

Installed my Panhard Bar design on my Reflection 303RLS. This is a prototype....

This installation should do a few things.
    1. Hopefully eliminate the possibility of broke spring hangers due to lateral flexing of the spring hangers.
    2. Reduce body roll of trailer
    3. Reduce side to side movement when parked.
    4. No heavy duty shackles
    5. No reinforced spring hanger
    I have not done any road testing yet but will take some pictures of suspension while parked in tight turns. At some point would like to get a Go-pro video of suspension while traveling.

My 303RLS does not have the 2"x2" frame lift so my setup uses clamp plates to the frame with Grade 8 NF hardware torqued to 90 ft lbs. Cross member tubing is 1.5"x1.5" .120 wall tubing and Panhard Bar is 1.5" .120 wall 4130 Chrome Molly. Greasable 3/4" Heim Joints.

Please don't comment on my crappy welds (only done where high strength was not required, can't see to weld good anymore). Welds that required high strength were done by certified welder. Panhard Bar preheated and welded with 4130 filler/Heliarc.

I have designed a version for 303RLS with the 2"x2" lift which should be a bit easier to install.

I will do a write-up as time allows if there is any interest.

Pat

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp on panhard.JPG
Views:	714
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1614

Name:	20190704_142356.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	1615

Name:	20190701_143818.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	1616Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_143753.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1617Click image for larger version

Name:	20190628_135645.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1618
    Pat & Marlene
    * Dodge 5.9 2500 2006 4x4 4.1 Diff Crew Shortbed
    * Reflection 303RLS 2015 Westlake/225/75/R15/E Tekonsha P3

Wow Pat! That is some really impressive work. I know you've been putting this together for a long time. Great job.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Very nice Pat, glad to see this all come together. I can not wait for the report on how it handles.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Wow...look forward to reading more, Pat. Unlike the other wizards here, I'm just a humble mortal so hopefully I'll understand what you write.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks, TucsonJim , Country Campers , howson

Thanks for the kind words. Yes it took awhile to get this done, had to get property insured again because of all the past California fires. Also needed good weather for awhile.

Howard, don't berate your self, everyone is an artist or expert in their own way.

Now I just need to figure out how to add images correctly.

Pat
          Pat & Marlene

Comment

Pat

The pictures are good. When you upload them you can pick a size. I have been picking small , one can still click on them to make bigger.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Pat - looks very good and a lot of work. Hope you do not mind one question. You have both bars in the same orientation. IE the bar is clamped to the axle tube on the same side. Is there a reason you did not install one opposite of the other? Just curious
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Lookin good Pat!
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  Pat - looks very good and a lot of work. Hope you do not mind one question. You have both bars in the same orientation. IE the bar is clamped to the axle tube on the same side. Is there a reason you did not install one opposite of the other? Just curious
                  Yoda,

Good question, no good answer. Thought about them on opposite sides to potentially balance handling, but the primary design is to transfer all lateral forces from the spring hangers to Panhard Bar. One of the reasons for having them on the same side it help keep axles in better alignment during body roll (Panhard Bars arcs the same), even though we are probably talking < .1". Bars on opposite sides move the axles in ever so slightly in opposite directions (4" body roll would equate to about .06" offset). On the same side they move together in the same direction.

Lets take it to Daytona and try both ways.

Pat
                  Pat & Marlene

Comment

Originally posted by Gyrogearloose View Post

Yoda,

Good question, no good answer. Thought about them on opposite sides to potentially balance handling, but the primary design is to transfer all lateral forces from the spring hangers to Panhard Bar. One of the reasons for having them on the same side it help keep axles in better alignment during body roll (Panhard Bars arcs the same), even though we are probably talking < .1". Bars on opposite sides move the axles in ever so slightly in opposite directions (4" body roll would equate to about .06" offset). On the same side they move together in the same direction.

Lets take it to Daytona and try both ways.

Pat
                    Thanks Pat
                    The civil engineer in me was curious. I know nothing about these bars or how they work. Been reading internet information on it today. But if you go to Datona you will need to paint flames on the side of the trailer wont you?

Please keep us posted on how it works.

On edit - I did find this video very helpful in understand how it works
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liR1--EHMg8
                    Last edited by Yoda; 07-07-2019, 10:04 AM.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

On edit - I did find this video very helpful in understand how it works
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liR1--EHMg8
                      Thanks, another good PHB example video. Yes there are many videos on PHB's, and I tried to find all I could before attempting to do this project. So with the video you provided, it showed the "sagitta" and this is the effect I was trying to describe. You can see in the video how the axles would move in opposite directions if the PHB attachment points were on opposite sides.

My design tries to get close to center of travel (hard to do with dual axles and an equalizer) and also have strength.

I drew my entire suspension is in CAD (3D), so a lot of time has been spent motion simulations. This design came about because of Cate&Rob breaking a spring hanger, so I blame Rob for all this work.

Pat
                      Pat & Marlene

Comment

Thanks, another good PHB example video. Yes there are many videos on PHB's, and I tried to find all I could before attempting to do this project. So with the video you provided, it showed the "sagitta" and this is the effect I was trying to describe. You can see in the video how the axles would move in opposite directions if the PHB attachment points were on opposite sides.

My design tries to get close to center of travel (hard to do with dual axles and an equalizer) and also have strength.

I drew my entire suspension is in CAD (3D), so a lot of time has been spent motion simulations. This design came about because of Cate&Rob breaking a spring hanger, so I blame Rob for all this work.

Pat
                        I agree Rob is a big problem. Cost me a lot of $$$$$$ too

Comment

Looks great, Pat, and I agree with how difficult that center of travel is to find. I only did a single axle, and found myself tweaking it a bit for weeks after to set it up how I wanted.

Jim
                          2021 28BH 1.2kw solar and other mods
                          2019 F350 PSD SRW

Comment

Hi Pat,

Looks Great! I”ll take the blame . . . but, thank you for doing all the work. I will be interested to learn your “dynamic evaluation” of this.
                            ( And Yoda . . . I caught you comment too .)
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Gyrogearloose
                              Gyrogearloose commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Rob,
                              The Dynamics of the articulation is my biggest concern. As long as axle springs doesn't get a loaded arch (LA) of more than about 4.5" with all the weight on the one axle (one axle fully up and the other fully dropped, like hard over a curb). But 4.5" LA spring compression would be breaking the back of the spring probably bending it.

If you noticed the rear PHB is in front of the axle. This was done for 2 reasons.
                              1) Fresh water drain in the way
                              2) As we have studied before the wild spring rotation rearward of the rear axle under heavy braking, the axle will move away from the PHB ensuring clearances. But I still don't think there would be any clearance issues if the PHB was on the other side of the axle.

Pat

Yes, Pat - amazing work ! I to recall you, Rob, and others posting on this issue/item for sometime. Good to see it come to fruition. Feedback on the performance and tweaking will be interesting reads in the future.

Dan
                            Dan & Carol
                            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

• Gyrogearloose
                              Gyrogearloose commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hey Dan, thanks..... FYI, just noticed name change....
                          Working...
                          X