MORryde 3000 Or Lippert Road Armor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORryde 3000 Or Lippert Road Armor

I have a new 2020 2500RL Imagine. I want to upgrade the suspension Looking to install either MORryde or Lippert Road Armor. Both with wet bolts. I'm looking for anybody that may have installed these on their 2500RL. PRO'S and CON's are always welcome.

Hi scottld,

The Lippert Road Armor equalizer is a new product (at least to me) so, I went and watched the video. An interesting version of a cushioned equalizer with rubber bumpers below and above the arms that link to the shackles and springs. Some interesting "marketing speak" claims in that video. "360 degrees of protection" and "6 inches of possible travel" to name a couple.

Cushioned equalizers are common on most of Grand Design's larger products and have been around for a long time. Each manufacturer will say (and have "proof") that their's is the best. I think that all would agree that a cushioned equalizer is better than a solid one. Stronger shackle plates and bronze bushings with wet bolts are better than what you have as well.

You will probably have difficulty finding first hand experience with the LCI Road Armor equalizer, because it is relatively new to the marketplace.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 04-21-2020, 12:54 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We installed Road Armor with wet bolts on our 2020 Imagine 2600RB and have been very happy with it. Installation was at the dealer, mainly due to my being in my late 60's with arthritis and their having the proper equipment to support the frame with all 4 wheels off. What we have found is the trailer pulls smoother on rough roads, less chucking when going over railroad tracks, and less bouncing.

We've had experience with a 2016 with the MORryde, which was a big improvement over OEM. However the rubber block inside the equalizer started to tear away from the steel it was "bonded" to after a 5000 trip. MORryde did send a replacement, but I've heard about similar issues on some rigs.

I highly recommend wet bolts. Whien I installed the MORryde and wet bolts, the trailer had 2500 miles on it and the plastic bushings (dry) from the factory were shot. Just make sure if you install the wet bolts yourself, I would suggest you use a sharpie to make the bolt heads with the grease port position. The ports must be installed so they are parallel to the ground so you can grease the bolts. If they are vertical, you you won't be able to grease them.

Also you might want to get zerk boots to keep them dry and clean. Here's what I use.:

amazon.com/gp/product/B0779K66DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Norris
      2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
      2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Apologize for bringing new life to an old post, but I figured by doing so, we can avoid rehashing some of the already-discussed feedback. When the original post was started, the Road Armor equalizer was still very new (and frankly, even now, I'd still consider it to lack true, long-life, testing), so I was just looking for updated feedback on how well the Road Armor's rubber has held up this summer in comparison to the MORryde CRE system (where others have described rubber coming apart). I guess it seems like maybe the Lippert Road Armor may be slightly better than the MORryde system, if it held up.

A couple points of question I have in selecting the proper equalizer upgrade for my Imagine 2970RL.
        • I was comparing the dimensions of these to the factory cast equalizer (as described on GD's parts list). It looks like the equalizer width (center to center) of the shackle bolt holes isn't as wide. Do I need to use shackle links that are longer to compensate for that to maintain the proper length?
        • Lippert lists the Road Armor equalizer rating as 3,500 to 8,000 lbs. I'd like to assume that is an axle rating per axle, and not for the tandem axle system--but I've learned my lesson on making assumptions.
        • It seems like I'm reading that the MORryde wet bolts may be better than Lipperts?
        I appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge. I hope I get some candid feedback--hoping I don't start a brand-wars debate here--I'll probably end up doing that easily enough on the appropriate channel to discuss my search for a different tow vehicle.
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Based on feedback from Norris in #3 I will try them next after my CRE3000s wear out. Seems logical that rubber damping in both directions would provide an improvement. If however I was using the MORryde SRE4000 I might just stick with what I have since these equalizers also dampen in both directions where the SRE4000 look to be more compliant. I'm also using the MORryde X Factor bracket which provides additional support to the center hanger which from video I've captured exhibited the most lateral motion as compared to the other hangers.
          • Lippert would guide you in what shackle length to use
          • The listing of 3500 or 8000 lb would be the rating of each axle
          • I'm very happy with the MORryde wet bolt kit and have not used the Lippert kit. From the video below on installation of the road armor system, their shackles do not look as heavy duty as the MORryde shackles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C-YuCjUiMk

Lippert Road Armor Shock Absorbing Equalizer Kit Installation - 2020 Grand Design Imagine Travel Tra - YouTube

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

If purchasing either LCI or MorRyde suspension components, make sure you understand your axle spacing. GDRV produces units with 33.5" and 35.5" axle spacings. MorRyde has two CRE3000 variants depending on your axle spacing, and the shackles should always be 2.25", no matter the equalizer used. On LCI, there is only one equalizer size. Use 2.25" shackles for the 33.5" axle spacing, and 3.125" for the 33.5" axle spacing.

The owner's manual for MorRyde states how to visually examine the rubber equalizer bushings for wear and when to replace them. The LCI owner's manual is silent on this topic. BTW, if your RV is equipped with Lipper EquaFlex equalizers, the only way to check them for wear is to disassemble them.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks Jim; that was specifically the information I was seeking!
              2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                If purchasing either LCI or MorRyde suspension components, make sure you understand your axle spacing. GDRV produces units with 33.5" and 35.5" axle spacings. MorRyde has two CRE3000 variants depending on your axle spacing, and the shackles should always be 2.25", no matter the equalizer used. On LCI, there is only one equalizer size. Use 2.25" shackles for the 33.5" axle spacing, and 3.125" for the 33.5" axle spacing.

The owner's manual for MorRyde states how to visually examine the rubber equalizer bushings for wear and when to replace them. The LCI owner's manual is silent on this topic. BTW, if your RV is equipped with Lipper EquaFlex equalizers, the only way to check them for wear is to disassemble them.

Jim
                Sorry to split hairs here Jim but. I'm going to assume you meant to state when you have 35.5 axle spacing you should use the 3.125 shackles. Correct? Thanks for all you provide here.
                Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post

Sorry to split hairs here Jim but. I'm going to assume you meant to state when you have 35.5 axle spacing you should use the 3.125 shackles. Correct? Thanks for all you provide here.
                  Not quite correct.

If you are going with the LCI EquaFlex, there is only one size. In order to span the distance for the 35.5" axle spacing, you need to use the longer shackles.
                  On MorRyde CRE3000 equalizers, they specifically sell an equalizer for 33.5" and another one for 35.5" spacing. In either case should use 2.25" shackles and make certain you're purchasing the correct equalizer.

For instance, my Reflection 297RSTS has 35.5" spacing. But with the MorRyde equalizer, I'm using 2.25" shackles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shackle.jpg
Views:	6689
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	42151
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Actually Jim I’m now considering the Road Armor system and I have 35.5 axle spacing so it looks like I’ll need to order the 3.125 shackles.
                    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Thought I'd follow up on this post.

Late last month, I finally got my equalizer upgrade completed. As you can see, I went with the Lippert Road Armor, but used the 3-1/8" MORryde heavy duty shackles (they looked more robust). I know one of the common topics is the positioning of the wet bolts. I chose to put the zerks on the inside because this way I can see the nuts on the outside as I do a walk around. I suppose it also offers the zerks a slight bit of protection from getting impacted with road debris. There's clearly no right or wrong, just the way I decided to go.

Unfortunately, the highway segment back to the storage lot was backed up with traffic and so we took city streets, so I can't really tell you that I can feel a tremendous difference towing. There were moments that I'd like to say seemed better, but I'd admit it may have been my interest to justify the expense that I 'felt it'.

For what it's worth, my buddy helped me out and let me do this project in his driveway. As I left, he said the movement of the equalizer looked pretty cool. If nothing else, I guess there's at least that--they look cool (although I'm pretty confident that I'm going to be happy with this upgrade).
                      Attached Files
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Midwest Expectations

That will be a great upgrade over the stock "solid" equalizer. You should definitely "feel" a little better ride with the new one.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Midwest Expectations we have the same rig... 2970RL, can you tell me which Morryede kit you purchased for the upgrade regarding axle spacing and shackles? Seem the dealier doesn't have time to locate this.

Comment

Bert Newman, Morryde gives a "chart" for measuring your own trailer to select the correct equalizer. THey also have the heavy duty shackle bolt information

Go here for the "Qualifier" sheet for CRE3000:
                            http://www.morryde.com/wp-content/up...-Qualifier.pdf

Here is Shackle Bolt info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shackle bolt.jpg
Views:	5411
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	59533

Attached Files
                            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Bert Newman I apologize for the delay, just now seeing your comment. As I originally stated, I went with the Lippert Road Armor, but used the 3-1/8" MORryde heavy duty shackles (because they looked more robust).

As a general update, I’m very satisfied with the improvements and had a buddy (who does not own a GD coach), add them to his rig as well. When he took it to that big chain tire store—you know, the one that claim to offer big discounts (not to name names), they tried to use the road armor as a lifting point. Not so surprisingly, the equalizers do not make a good lifting point.
                              2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Working...
                              X