Never Fail Bushing Upgrade Problems w/Equaflex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Fail Bushing Upgrade Problems w/Equaflex

Decided to upgrade to Lippert Never Fail spring bushings. Got the 2 axle 14 bushing set. 5 hours and still not done with one side. Never saw any installation documentation or order options.

First confusion: What to do with the bushing not in the springs? I found some document that said no bushing where the Equaflex attaches to hanger. So that means to me, 1 in each Equaflex arm for shackles and 1 for the other end of the equaflex arms where the arms attach to the equaflex (1 cut with hacksaw and shared with both arms).

What a pain, press fit bushing into equaflex. Now ID of bushing is less that bolt OD and need to press fix shackle bolt into equaflex. Whats up with that?

So do I need to drill or ream the bushings or the equaflex so these part don't require a really tight press fit?

FYI, using old wet bolts because, bushing ID stated as 9/16" and wet bolt OD is .560".

Why does something that should be so easy, be such a PAIN! (keeping within language restrictions).

Am I missing something?

Pat
    Pat & Marlene
    * Dodge 5.9 2500 2006 4x4 4.1 Diff Crew Shortbed
    * Reflection 303RLS 2015 Westlake/225/75/R15/E Tekonsha P3

I've run into that issue before too Pat. I was able to get the never fail into an owner's Solitude, but then I had to put it on my drill press to ream it out in order for the bolt to fit correctly. You'd think this stuff would be standardized, but it's not.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I've run into that issue before too Pat. I was able to get the never fail into an owner's Solitude, but then I had to put it on my drill press to ream it out in order for the bolt to fit correctly. You'd think this stuff would be standardized, but it's not.

Jim
      Hey Jim,

Thanks for your input.... I'm not going crazy....

Just came in from installing passengers side and had a similar solution. I happened to have a 9/16 tapered ream (I think also called a bridge ream). I chucked it up in my portable drill and ran it through the installed bushings and was able to get it put together. You can get the reams for about $10-20 and will save a ton of time if you don't have one.

Another key to installing the bushing is making sure the holes are very clean. Use a brush or round file to clean out old rust and crud. Grease the bushing so they will go in better. I uses a vise to initially get the bushing in the Equaflex until bushing started to balloon. Slowly worked the rest of the way in with a hammer. The impact of a hammer will get the bushing to move when nothing else would. Slow and careful is key. A large C-Clamp will also work. Apply pressure with the clamp and the smack the end of the clamp with a hammer will also get the job done.

Pat
      Pat & Marlene

Comment

Hi Pat,

I went through the same frustration a few years ago. I bought a "Never Fail" kit directly from the LCI desk at a Grand Design Rally. They assured me that it was the right kit for my (then) two year old Reflection. I eventually discovered that just about nothing fit except the bushings for the spring eyes. None of the LCI bushings would fit the LCI equalizers. I did run the Never Fail spring eye bushings for a year or so and they did stand up much better than the original nylon bushings. The following year, I went to the MORryde heavy duty kit with heavier shackles, new wet bolts and bronze bushings at all locations.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• vonzoog
          vonzoog commented
          Editing a comment
          So was the MorRyde easier to install?

• Cate&Rob
          Cate&Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          All components of the the MORryde kit fit properly.

It was a little complicated to get the correct MORryde kit. The complication was the bolt length to comprehend the LCI Correct Track adjustment plates. MORryde makes a kit for this (UO12-031), but none of the online retailers stocked it and MORryde does not sell to retail customers. So, I had to work with a retailer (Tweetys I think) to have them special order the kit from MORryde and drop-ship it directly to me.

• vonzoog
          vonzoog commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jim,

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        All components of the the MORryde kit fit properly.

It was a little complicated to get the correct MORryde kit. The complication was the bolt length to comprehend the LCI Correct Track adjustment plates. MORryde makes a kit for this (UO12-031), but none of the online retailers stocked it and MORryde does not sell to retail customers. So, I had to work with a retailer (Tweetys I think) to have them special order the kit from MORryde and drop-ship it directly to me.
        Good to know Rob. If the Never Fail don't hold up I may go this route.

Not doing the heavier shackles at this point to see how stock ones hold up with Panhard Bars.

Pat
        Pat & Marlene

Comment

Working...
        X