What does upgraded axle mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
    This upgrade will be for all hangers on the Solitude and Momentum lines.

As of right now, there is no word on using these on our other lines.

Megan, there is quite a bit of posting about hanger failures in the Reflection line specifically the 303rls. I would hope that in the future, the upgrade would cover the Reflection line as well
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Unfortunately it’s not a Grand Design issue it’s a Lippert issue. Lippert has the market cornered on trailer chassis. Had a 37’ gear box that my buddy and I had to rebuild the hitch box when the trailer was a few years old. Just recently installed a 3rd axle on a genesis overnighter and the frame has scary looking welds we did add 1-1/2 x 2” angle iron from spring hanger to spring hanger. Soon I will be adding the same style angle iron to my new reflection. I’ve almost had to repaint the entire frame under my rig because of the rust that must have happened on the delivery drive. My reflection was built in February 2020 I purchased it June I own 3 trailers and none of them have that kind of rust even one being over ten years old. I do live in California so rust is not typical.

Comment

Not to hijack this thread, but when doing my axle change out should I do this to my 220RK. I know there are no reported failures here, but just wondering. The shop is capable of doing it.

BTW can someone that understands the welding better explain why one side is welded on the up angle and the other side is not and the opposite occurs on the other side of the V clip. My gut would say weld both sides front and back or box it but what do I know - just curious PS my welding skills are blob, hole, and spatter - like my golf game That.s why I don't have a welder.
        Thanks

Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, the idea is that if the angle iron clip is too small the welding will draw it too close together binding on the sides of the spring, thus creating a whole new issue to deal with. Welding only one side allows the inverted U bracket to flex a bit for proper bolt shouldering out while not drawing the clip too tight against the spring.

There was a discussion on it here a while back. Rob explained it IIRC.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Yoda Keith, the idea is that if the angle iron clip is too small the welding will draw it too close together binding on the sides of the spring, thus creating a whole new issue to deal with. Welding only one side allows the inverted U bracket to flex a bit for proper bolt shouldering out while not drawing the clip too tight against the spring.

There was a discussion on it here a while back. Rob explained it IIRC.
            Thanks
            Now to think about it that makes sense - like stitch welding (leaving gaps) to repair to imbrittled steel bridge girders. Thanks for the great information. I am planning on having them reinforce the hangers and this information will be passed on and discussed. The flange on the frame members is not that robust, so while in the shop with a certified welder I am going to have a few reinforcement added while they have the frame fully supported and level.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              so while in the shop with a certified welder I am going to have a few reinforcement added while they have the frame fully supported and level.
              Make sure it is well thought out. Sometimes with the best of intentions, you just move a weak spot rather than solve it. Flex isn't always a bad thing.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Heat affected zone is the other reason. They do not want a weld path that is un-interrupted where the fracture would move to the continuous weld. Also I believe Keith has those huge Dexter hangers that have a much larger contact area to the frame. Nothing is needed to be done with those hangers if I have this right.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X