Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

If you dig back to my EoH disc brake installation, I challenged that brake system supplier on why there was no fuse or CB between the trailer battery and the EoH actuator. I proposed a 40A CB in this line and got a "that would work" response from the supplier. I can kind of understand the logic of "no fuses" in an emergency apply situation, but there are many inadvertent or malicious apply scenarios that could leave this circuit energized with no over-current protection for as long as the RV battery bank could last. Which could be a long time with the lithium banks and solar charge systems that some of you have !!

I measured the current draw of my Titan EoH actuator and it was 28 amps on startup and 22 amps while running. This is how I selected a 40A circuit breaker which is the same size as Titan recommends for the main power feed from the truck.

Having any electrical circuits without fuse or circuit breaker protection is just asking for trouble.

Rob
    Rob,

I'm in complete agreement. I've struggled with this when doing my conversion and have my emergency system on a breaker. Its also ran through a main battery cut off switch. I do not believe there are any laws that state a direct unprotected circuit is mandatory where as you stated, the Lithium batteries have a great deal of capacity and energy to burn things down. I like redundancy in systems so this was also why I decided to buy the break away system.

For those out there that dry camp, many may remember (I'm one) those mornings when the furnace is barely spinning and the gas valve has shut down. It would not be good to pack up and just drive away with the RV battery being depleted. So this system will act as a redundant system that is independent to the RV battery(s) where the break away system will still function in a safe manner.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2020, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Looked into the government regulation on the break away switch and found the only requirement on braking is that the system must be capable of holding the brakes on for a minimum of 15 minutes. This is found at the following government site.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retriev...se49.5.393_143

I wrote GDRV and after requesting specific rules or requirements on how this system should be wired, I got back a "Don't mess with the system" which was of no help, since anyone that has moved their batteries to the passthrough has changed the system or are routing unprotected circuits inside their rigs. That is unsatisfactory IMO.

To be sure I'm within the requirements, which are extremely loosely written, I've decided to install the Curt Break Away system out on the tongue of my rig. This way, the feed wire can be protected, and if the system is triggered, a dedicated battery will directly apply current to the brakes and will do so in a direct unprotected path. The small battery can be load tested on occasion and can be purchased for $37.00 every few years as part of general maintenance. In researching this, It was discovered, many have experienced melted wires from high capacity batteries and on a system that was inadvertently left on for a significant period of time. Also discovered on most all electric over hydraulic systems that the break away kit is part of their wiring schematic where there are plenty of warnings of having the brakes activated too long where the pump will burn up. Its also not good for a standard drum system as well with electromagnets. So why do we all not have these? IMO its cost.

In the case of the OP if a child or vandal pulled the pin on the break away, his brakes with the Curt system would have been applied for the required 15 minutes (min) and the system would have then applied minimal current from the trickle charger, while minimizing risk to the brake or electrical system. The Curt break away kit with charger and test panel will be part of my departure process such as ensuring the break away battery is charged, checking trailer hitch pin, lights, bars, lowering the antenna, and so on.

Some may not like this solution, and that's ok, but for me it solves the issue in changing the battery location and making changes to the break away system. Another solution to the vandal situation is to install an LED light or buzzer to the break away system that would alert the OP that someone has removed the pin.

Jim
      Which Curt system are you looking at? If you go with the system that includes the charger, will you be fusing the charger line? I'm now thinking this might be the answer to storing our rig at home where there are kids being curious and around.
      2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
      2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
      Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
      FMCA # 489460

Comment

Running from Gnats ,
        I've been looking at the model below although there are many out there such as a Hopkins unit as well as a Tekonsha unit. Yes I plan to use a circuit breaker on the feed wire and also route it to the RV positive side bus bar. With the new Lithium system its desirable for me to be able to completely disconnect the battery for usage while connected to a pedestal. This allows me to store the battery at the desired 50% SOC to increase battery longevity. The push to test break away system will always have power whether its being charged from the converter/charger or from my battery while traveling or dry camping with the battery switch turned on. Something I have been looking for is a unit where the charger will cycle off once the break away battery is fully charged rather than a constant trickle charge. Also like the push to test so a visual on battery condition can be confirmed prior to travel.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-52042-Pu...omotive&sr=1-2

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2020, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Running from Gnats ,
          I've been looking at the model below although there are many out there such as a Hopkins unit as well as a Tekonsha unit. Yes I plan to use a circuit breaker on the feed wire and also route it to the RV positive side bus bar. With the new Lithium system its desirable for me to be able to completely disconnect the battery for usage while connected to a pedestal. This allows me to store the battery at the desired 50% SOC to increase battery longevity. The push to test break away system will always have power whether its being charged from the converter/charger or from my battery while traveling or dry camping with the battery switch turned on. Something I have been looking for is a unit where the charger will cycle off once the break away battery is fully charged rather than a constant trickle charge. Also like the push to test so a visual on battery condition can be confirmed prior to travel.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-52042-Pu...omotive&sr=1-2

Jim
          I've been looking at this unit too. I'm a bit confused if the Amazon unit does include the charger. It lists compatible with the CURT battery charger #52025, which I haven't seen on Amazon. I did find what is listed as the complete package (w/charger) at http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brea...t=Curt%2052042.
          2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
          2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
          Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
          FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post

I've been looking at this unit too. I'm a bit confused if the Amazon unit does include the charger. It lists compatible with the CURT battery charger #52025, which I haven't seen on Amazon. I did find what is listed as the complete package (w/charger) at http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brea...t=Curt%2052042.
            Running from Gnats ,

You may have a good point on the lack of detail on the charger. My previous link was not functioning on etrailer for some reason so I posted one from Amazon and it may not have a charger. I would go with the one you pointed out and I will order the same.

We just returned home from a fantastic trip to Mosquito Lake State Park in Ohio where we have been camping with our immediate family. Such a great trip and Happy Fathers Day!

Jim

Comment

Working...
            X