Annoying noise from brakes while parked in Reflection 295RL 150 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying noise from brakes while parked in Reflection 295RL 150 Series

Please help! There is a noise that is driving me crazy! While the RV is parked, any slight movement causes it. It sounds like it’s coming from inside the brakes. Of course when I took it to the dealer it didn’t make any sounds. It does it when level, not level, with or without stabilizers down, with or without slides out. It’s a 2019 Reflection 295RL 150 Series.

I tried uploading a short video so you could hear it, but your site does not allow it.

Thx in advance!

Originally posted by 95CUtigeralum View Post
    Please help! There is a noise that is driving me crazy! While the RV is parked, any slight movement causes it. It sounds like it’s coming from inside the brakes. Of course when I took it to the dealer it didn’t make any sounds. It does it when level, not level, with or without stabilizers down, with or without slides out. It’s a 2019 Reflection 295RL 150 Series.

I tried uploading a short video so you could hear it, but your site does not allow it.

Thx in advance!
    For it to be the brakes there would have to be forward and backward movement. Wheel chocks would stop most of this movement. I have never heard a bothersome noise from brakes while camping so this has me intrigued. I am wondering if it is the springs or equalizer and not the brakes, but you are the one there that is hearing the noise so i am just trying to figure out how you could be hearing that.

Welcome aboard and hopefully we can figure this out.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thx in advance!

I'd love to see the video. If you want, you can upload it to YouTube, and then place a link here.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thx in advance!
        As suggested by TucsonJim upload to YouTube and then provide a link.

If YouTube is not an option, then perhaps you can email it to me and I'll post it for you. Send me a private message (PM) if that's what you want to do. Emailing may be limited, too, by how large the video file is.

Another option is to open a (free) DropBox account and put the file in a public folder, then provide the link (by private message) to myself or Jim and we'll take it from there.

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here’s the YouTube link
          https://youtu.be/LBxZMnz15Uw

Comment

Here’s the YouTube link
            Boy thats strange. I am with Jim I would not think it is the brakes, when you are not hooked up there should not be any power going to them. Also even if there was they do not really make any noise when applied and the wheels are not turning. I cannot tell from the video, but are you chocked? If not does that make any difference? My best guess would be your shackles and springs rocking back and forth when someone is moving inside. If they have zerks, I would grease your suspension, and if not chocked, I would chock and see what happens. I run X-Chocks to help eliminate my forward and backward motion when parked (still use regular chocks under the tires), but I have to admit I have never had noise like that when stationary. Sounds like what you hear when someone comes into the campground.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Here’s the YouTube link
              That is quite unusual.

An old mechanic's trick is to use a tube ("doctor stethoscope") to isolate the source of an odd sound. Even a cardboard sleeve from a roll of paper towels will help to figure out exactly where the sound is coming from (ear on one end of the "scope" and the other near the suspect part).

If it *is* the brakes, then I'd guess (word chosen on purpose!) they aren't releasing as they should and require adjustment. The noise is from the rubbing of the brakes even with a slight movement of the trailer.

But I don't know hardly anything about drum brakes, so I'll retreat from this conversation and let those with more knowledge guide you further.

I look forward to reading the resolution!

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The noise "sounds" like more movement than is visible in the video. Is the sound the same on both sides of the trailer? Howard's idea of using a mechanic's stethoscope is a good one. These are available at auto parts stores for not a lot of money.

My guess is a broken brace rubbing back and forth against the frame it is supposed to be welded to. If the noise can not be isolated to wheels or suspension (using the stethoscope) pull a couple of coroplast fasteners and stick the stethoscope in above the coroplast.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here’s the YouTube link
                  Remove the positive and the negative from the battery, also shore power. Just to see if sound goes away.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you for all of the responses. I have disconnected all power as suggested. I have posted a new video and tried to show how the sound gets louder as I get closer to the brake drum. It is definitely coming from inside the break area.

https://youtu.be/sTmxXT5y7hI

Comment

That sure sounds to me like the brake shoes lightly dragging on the drums. Just for grins try backing off the adjusters a couple of clicks and see if it goes away.
                      Jeff
                      2019 Solitude 375 RES
                      2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

I agree on shackles/springs. Try adding more pressure on your jacks/ stabilizers. It sounds like there is movement in the suspension.

Might try, having someone walk around inside while you watch the suspension and listen for the noise.
                        Last edited by Superduty; 06-15-2020, 06:45 PM. Reason: Typo
                        Steve
                        2018 Reflection 303
                        2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

I've ran across this several times years ago where the noise can be caused by several issues.

1) Brake shoes are glazed. Remove drum and scuff up the shoes and drums to re-seat the shoes.

2) Brake shoes are over adjusted. (also see 1)
                          3) A broken brake shoe spring

4) Grease on the brakes shoes which can result in grabbing at low rotation.

To sort out any suspension noise, spray some CRC w PTFE (slide dry lube) on one component at a time to determine the source.

Jim

Comment

95CUtigeralum ,

Were you able to find the source of your noise?

Jim

Comment

Working...
                            X