Failed axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed axle

Had the axle fail on our last trip. I noticed the wheel looked tilted in and when I took a closer look I saw the tire was completely bald on the inner half. Had to put the spare on to come home. Axle tube now has a downward arch instead of an upward arch. Not sure if it's part of the 3 year warranty or not, but I don't want the same under sized axle put back on. The axles, springs, wheels, and tires are less or barely over the GVWR of the trailer. Time to change the axles,springs, shackles to a heavier weight rating. I'm also going to replace the wheels and tires to 16" for more reserve capacity. Don't know why rv builders don't make the running gear sized for the full GVWR of the rig instead of subtracting the tongue weight and using smaller components.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

No argument that there is less margin than there should be between trailer weight and suspension capacity. But . . . before you over-strengthen everything, consider that the trailer suspension should be sized to use its full travel to absorb road impacts. If the suspension and tires don’t flex, the trailer body and contents will take a more severe beating.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
      Had the axle fail on our last trip. I noticed the wheel looked tilted in and when I took a closer look I saw the tire was completely bald on the inner half. Had to put the spare on to come home. Axle tube now has a downward arch instead of an upward arch. Not sure if it's part of the 3 year warranty or not, but I don't want the same under sized axle put back on. The axles, springs, wheels, and tires are less or barely over the GVWR of the trailer. Time to change the axles,springs, shackles to a heavier weight rating. I'm also going to replace the wheels and tires to 16" for more reserve capacity. Don't know why rv builders don't make the running gear sized for the full GVWR of the rig instead of subtracting the tongue weight and using smaller components.
      The 315's setup is no where near what it should be for our very large TT. Your experience is exactly why I had MORryde's IS installed on mine. I'll be very interested to know what you end up doing, so please continue this thread as you work through the process.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        No argument that there is less margin than there should be between trailer weight and suspension capacity. But . . . before you over-strengthen everything, consider that the trailer suspension should be sized to use its full travel to absorb road impacts. If the suspension and tires don’t flex, the trailer body and contents will take a more severe beating.

Rob
        Not going to go nuts with the upgrade. Will change from 5200lb axles and springs to 6000lb. Will also add morryde CRE3000 and heavy duty shackles/ wet bolts. Will also switch out the 15' wheels and tires for 16" for a little reserve capacity. Was going to do disc brakes, but that may wait until next year. 5 new wheels and tires pretty much eats up the disc brake budget. I would rather have an upgraded suspension with drum brakes than an under sized suspension with disc brakes. Plus I won't have time to do all of it before the next trip.
        2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...t-tires-wheels

Here is a set of wheels and tires , not far from Pa. home that may save you some money. The tires may not be good but the wheels would be worth it.
          I thought that the 315 came with 16" wheels?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com/...t-tires-wheels

Here is a set of wheels and tires , not far from Pa. home that may save you some money. The tires may not be good but the wheels would be worth it.
            I thought that the 315 came with 16" wheels?

Brian
            I'm on the third axle on my 297RSTS. I was having the same issue with inside tire wear and an out of alignment axle. So far, I'm finally getting good tire wear.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I'm on the third axle on my 297RSTS. I was having the same issue with inside tire wear and an out of alignment axle. So far, I'm finally getting good tire wear.

Jim
              This is concerning to hear Jim. So far I am good on my 297RSTS. Hope it stays that way.

Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Anyone have a picture of the axle tag from a Reflection with the dexter axles?
                2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Anyone have a picture of the axle tag from a Reflection with the dexter axles?
                  One of the originals that were removed from my '19

Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Dexter.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	21855

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter 2.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	21856

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks Howard
                    2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Well we have a plan. Looking for a distributor of Dexter axles, I came across a trailer repair company in NJ. They seem to really know their stuff. Grand Design specs their own axle length. They are not a stock size. They came up with using 7000lb heavy wall axles, 2900lb springs so as not to make the suspension to stiff, morryde CRE3000 equalizers, and morryde heavy duty shackles and wet bolts, new bearings and races. They said the LCI axles are 3/16' thick steel. The new Dexter axles will be 5/16' thick steel. I can swap my brakes and drums over from the LCI axles. They will order the new axles to match Grand Design's specs. Should have them in about 2 weeks. Also ordered 16' wheels and Goodyear Endurance tires. Disc brakes will have to wait a little longer.
                      2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Also ordered 16' wheels...
                        Where did you order the wheels from--same NJ company or separately? I need one for my second spare.

Comment

Howard
                          I ordered them from etrailer $167. I just ordered a plain white spoked wheel for the spare $65
                          2018 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

I had a bent 3500# axle on a previous trailer. We have a very good heavy truck & frame shop here & they were able to pull the axle back to spec & give me a 4-wheel alignment on the other axle.
                            2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Working...
                            X