Wheel Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Finish

On our 10 month old 2020 337RLS 5th wheel, I found that on all 4 wheels, the clear coat is failing. We have had it out 5X since new with maybe 4500 miles on them and were cleaned and waxed before put up for the winter. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what is GD's take on it or is this in Lionheads lap? I called them and only got a VM with no response.
    Bob P.
    2018 F-350 CCLB 4X4 Dually
    2020 337RLS
    VIN last 8 L3326309

Bob P

This is not uncommon for any wheel , RV , auto, and such to have this problem. If the wheels are not properly cleaned before the clear anodize is put on this is the result. Also a stone chip or any other scratches will result in this same situation. Once the clear anodize is compromised corrosion will take place. Keep after your dealer , Grand Design , as well as Lionshead until you get resolved. I have not seen many here that have reported this but there probably is some out there.
    Keep us posted on how this gets resolved.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Bob P View Post
      On our 10 month old 2020 337RLS 5th wheel, I found that on all 4 wheels, the clear coat is failing. We have had it out 5X since new with maybe 4500 miles on them and were cleaned and waxed before put up for the winter. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what is GD's take on it or is this in Lionheads lap? I called them and only got a VM with no response.
      I have it on my wheels as well. GD replaced mine as part of the deal to buy the trailer. Trailer was a 2018 Clearance from the dealer and there was worse corrosion than your picks. Now the new ones are doing it after 1.5 years again just no nearly as bad.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Calbar and Bob P,

Mine are peeling, too. When I got the wheels back from Walmart (they put on the Goodyear Endurances) I thought they'd scratched them up. Nope--when I took the next set of wheels off the finish was already coming off.

For me it wasn't enough of an issue to fight with Lionshead over a replacement. I may (may!) get them powder coated before installing new skins when it's time.

But what doesn't bother one person may annoy the heck out of another, so as Brian ( Country Campers) stated pursue the matter as desired and let us know the outcome.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Bob P

I think you would be hard pressed to find any LionsHead wheels over a year or two old that do not have this kind of surface finish deterioration. Mine certainly have it and I have seen many many others in similar condition. It definitely bothered me when the rig was nearly new, but as the years went by, I decided it was not worth agonizing over. I do know one owner who argued for replacement wheels (which he got) only to find the same deterioration on the new wheels a few months later. This surface corrosion does not seem to affect the durability of the wheels.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. my concern with the corrosion is that it will turn into an issue like I have on our TV. Corrosion at the valve stems causing leaks. On 3rd set of those wheels! Lionshead called me pretty much at end of the day yesterday and sent me a warranty form to complete. That in and of itself will be a bit of a pain as they want pics of the wheel street side and hub side. Fun times!. I'll have to wait until I am back home to do this as we are travelling at the moment. I have bigger issue to deal with this morning as we woke up to no power to the fridge. Breaker is OK, reset just to be sure and nothing. We had to go into to office for work and will see what I can do later. Sucks cuz we have a full fridge!
            Last edited by Bob P; 06-23-2020, 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling
            Bob P.
            2020 337RLS
            VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. my concern with the corrosion is that it will turn into an issue like I have on our TV. Corrosion at the valve stems causing leaks. On 3rd set of those wheels! Lionshead called me pretty much at end of the day yesterday and sent me a warranty form to complete. That in and of itself will be a bit of a pain as they want pics of the wheel street side and hub side. Fun times!. I'll have to wait until I am back home to do this as we are travelling at the moment. I have bigger issue to deal with this morning as we woke up to no power to the fridge. Breaker is OK, reset just to be sure and nothing. We had to go into to office for work and will see what I can do later. Sucks cuz we have a full fridge!
              Wow--non-functioning refrigerators seem to be the hot issue right now. (Didn't intend that pun!)

Out of curiosity, is it a Norcold 2118 or a Dometic 1350 refrigerator?

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Wow--non-functioning refrigerators seem to be the hot issue right now. (Didn't intend that pun!)

Out of curiosity, is it a Norcold 2118 or a Dometic 1350 refrigerator?
                It is a Norcold 2118 . I replaced the 5a mini fuse on the panel in the outer access after talking to GD tech and so far, it is OK now. Fingers crossed!
                Bob P.
                2020 337RLS
                VIN last 8 L3326309

Comment

It is a Norcold 2118 . I replaced the 5a mini fuse on the panel in the outer access after talking to GD tech and so far, it is OK now. Fingers crossed!
                  Very interesting. Have you seen this thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-refrigerator

Please chime in (on the other thread) if the fuse blows again and you have to pursue it further. You and ammodude may be able to swap experiences and help each other.

Comment

You could wait until the off season and have the wheels refinished with a PVD finish. A lot of chrome looking wheels aren't real chrome, but PVD
                    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
                      You could wait until the off season and have the wheels refinished with a PVD finish. A lot of chrome looking wheels aren't real chrome, but PVD
                      Another subject I know nothing about...so off to the search engine I went. Read a bit here: https://acscoating.com/what-is-pvd-coating/

I've always read (mostly on motorcycle forums) about getting wheels "powder coated". (My Goldwing's wheels are a major nuisance to clean.) Powder coating is a process that seems relatively common--I'm guessing any auto body shop has the capacity. What about PVD? Is it common? Who would you take the wheels to (or ship them to) in order to get it done? Cost vs powder-coat?

Anything I didn't ask that's important to know?

Hope you don't mind the 20 questions...

Howard

Comment

Working...
                      X