Westlake Tire Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westlake Tire Failure

!!! PLEASE READ THE RESPONSES AFTER THIS POST, I AM IN ERROR BELOW. THE TIRES WERE UNDER INFLATED, NOT OVER INFLATED. I READ THE TIRE WARNING LABEL WRONG !!!

Hello GD Owners,

My family and I are caravaning on a long trip up the East coast, hitting a stop every 300-400 miles or so. We've traveled from South Florida and have hit spots in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and now Pennsylvania, with our furthest planned destination in Maine. We are pulling a 2019 2800BH model Grand Design.

On our last leg, we had a CATASTROPHIC blow out. We were traveling on I-81 in VA @ ~65-70mph when I heard a huge BANG! Looking in the rear view, I saw smoke and debris pouring from the passenger side wheel well as the tire tread whipped around beating the crap out of everything around it. My Dad was following directly behind us, in his motorhome. He described it like being in a war-time dog fight, where the plane blows up ahead and you have to fly through the smoke and shrapnel of the explosion. We pulled off the road safely. Then I started trying to figure out what went wrong, and fix it. That's when I snapped the pictures that are attached.

I went to tech school for auto technology and I used to change tires at a garage, so I felt confident enough to do the work myself. I used the jack from my F-150 and tools that I just happened to have in the front RV compartment. If you've driven I-81 before, you know the speed limit is 70mph. On the side of the road, when big rigs scream by with 3-4ft clearance, the whole RV rocks back and forth. I didn't want to spend any more time than necessary in that situation, waiting for AAA.

So, I go in the back and pull off the spare, which has the same tire as those mounted on the RV. Once I've changed the tire and let the RV back down, I wanted to check the tire pressure before we pull away. I think the spare had ~45psi in it, which I thought was under inflated. The sticker on the side of the RV says max pressure is 80 PSI. But my Dad, who also pulled off the road behind me, had the idea to double check the tire itself. Low and behold, you can see in the attached image, the small warning paragraph on the tire says, "TO AVOID DANGEROUS EXPLOSION NEVER EXCEED 40 LBS."

:-o... HOLY CRAP, ALL 4 OF MY TIRES ARE ~20 LBS OVER INFLATED! Even the spare had more than 40 PSI in it. The sticker, image attached, says 80 PSI max. I was running ~60 PSI, well within spec, I thought. This is my word of warning folks, "Don't trust the sticker on the side of your RV. Go check the small print directly ON your tires." You might be running too much pressure and risking a similar blow out. Also, you want to pre-plan your actions in a similar situation and have the tools and know-how ready to go. Figure out the proper jacking points of your RV, that was something I was unsure of. Get the right tire iron / socket for your trailer lug nuts, it's not the same as that of an F-150. Or, just plan on calling AAA and waiting a while. In either case, know what you want to do, or you're liable to make a bad decision.

Also, if you do have tires with 40 LBS max tires, please post back here. I have called Grand Design looking to buy a new wheel fairing and side molding, which they said to call the local dealer. But, he also said, they don't put 40 PSI tires on their RVs. They are all supposed to be 80 PSI rated. He gave me the number of http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/, which is who provides their tires. But, I'm not sure what to say.

I'd like to hear from all of you. Are there others with 40 PSI tires? Or am I a "one off" mistake?

Ideally, I'd like them to replace all 5 tires with the proper rated tires.

Thanks for reading.

Sean
    Davie, FL (currently Williamsport, PA).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 09-21-2020, 10:03 AM. Reason: Edited out abbreviation to adult language (rule 3).

Originally posted by snovak View Post
    Hello GD Owners,

My family and I are caravaning on a long trip up the East coast, hitting a stop every 300-400 miles or so. We've traveled from South Florida and have hit spots in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and now Pennsylvania, with our furthest planned destination in Maine. We are pulling a 2019 2800BH model Grand Design.

On our last leg, we had a CATASTROPHIC blow out. We were traveling on I-81 in VA @ ~65-70mph when I heard a huge BANG! Looking in the rear view, I saw smoke and debris pouring from the passenger side wheel well as the tire tread whipped around beating the crap out of everything around it. My Dad was following directly behind us, in his motorhome. He described it like being in a war-time dog fight, where the plane blows up ahead and you have to fly through the smoke and shrapnel of the explosion. We pulled off the road safely. Then I started trying to figure out what went wrong, and fix it. That's when I snapped the pictures that are attached.

I went to tech school for auto technology and I used to change tires at a garage, so I felt confident enough to do the work myself. I used the jack from my F-150 and tools that I just happened to have in the front RV compartment. If you've driven I-81 before, you know the speed limit is 70mph. On the side of the road, when big rigs scream by with 3-4ft clearance, the whole RV rocks back and forth. I didn't want to spend any more time than necessary in that situation, waiting for AAA.

So, I go in the back and pull off the spare, which has the same tire as those mounted on the RV. Once I've changed the tire and let the RV back down, I wanted to check the tire pressure before we pull away. I think the spare had ~45psi in it, which I thought was under inflated. The sticker on the side of the RV says max pressure is 80 PSI. But my Dad, who also pulled off the road behind me, had the idea to double check the tire itself. Low and behold, you can see in the attached image, the small warning paragraph on the tire says, "TO AVOID DANGEROUS EXPLOSION NEVER EXCEED 40 LBS."

:-o... HOLY CRAP, ALL 4 OF MY TIRES ARE ~20 LBS OVER INFLATED! Even the spare had more than 40 PSI in it. The sticker, image attached, says 80 PSI max. I was running ~60 PSI, well within spec, I thought. This is my word of warning folks, "Don't trust the sticker on the side of your RV. Go check the small print directly ON your tires." You might be running too much pressure and risking a similar blow out. Also, you want to pre-plan your actions in a similar situation and have the tools and know-how ready to go. Figure out the proper jacking points of your RV, that was something I was unsure of. Get the right tire iron / socket for your trailer lug nuts, it's not the same as that of an F-150. Or, just plan on calling AAA and waiting a while. In either case, know what you want to do, or you're liable to make a bad decision.

Also, if you do have tires with 40 LBS max tires, please post back here. I have called Grand Design looking to buy a new wheel fairing and side molding, which they said to call the local dealer. But, he also said, they don't put 40 PSI tires on their RVs. They are all supposed to be 80 PSI rated. He gave me the number of http://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/, which is who provides their tires. But, I'm not sure what to say to them other than, "WTF guys!"

I'd like to hear from all of you. Are there others with 40 PSI tires? Or am I a "one off" mistake?

Ideally, I'd like them to replace all 5 tires with the proper rated tires.

Thanks for reading.

Sean Novak
    Davie, FL (currently Williamsport, PA).
    Sean - you are in error with your interpretation! Please reread the sidewall warning. It states "never exceed 40 pounds pressure to seat lubricated beads". This is a message for the person installing the tire on the rim. You should never use more than 40 PSI to seat the tire into the rim. That is NOT the pressure you should inflate the tire to. Once the beads are seated, then you should inflate the tires to 80PSI COLD.

You state that "All r of my tires are approximately 20# over inflated". This means that you were running your tires at approximately 60 PSI? That is typically seriously underinflated if you don't know the actual weights for each wheel position. When tires are underinflated, they have a tendency to overheat and fail, just like yours did.

I'd suggest you stop your travels, inspect all your tires and properly inflate them to 80psi. In addition, always make sure your spare is properly inflated before you travel.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

snovak (Sean),
      We're fortunate to have several members here who are "in the biz", so I look forward to reading their take on this. My .02: the text on tire states "do not exceed 40 psi when seating the tire". This is the process (as you probably know) when the tire is being installed on the wheel and the tire mechanic get the bead of the tire correctly on the wheel. The 40 psi stated in that statement is not related to the maximum PSI the tire be inflated to handle a load.

Again--not an expert--but running at 40 psi as the highest setting while towing is (IMO) dangerous.

Why did the tire explode? There's an internet full of Westlake tire explosions and failures. GD has now shifted over to Goodyear Endurance. I (hope) at this point that all the lines have converted.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would suggest you read and understand everything before sending up a barrage balloon. As TucsonJim said, if you were running the tires at 60 PSI, then they were seriously underinflated which likely caused overheating and the subsequent blow-out. Many experienced RVers run TMPS systems to monitor tire pressures and temperatures and alert them prior to things getting to this point, too.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Sean - you are in error with your interpretation! Please reread the sidewall warning. It states "never exceed 40 pounds pressure to seat lubricated beads". This is a message for the person installing the tire on the rim. You should never use more than 40 PSI to seat the tire into the rim. That is NOT the pressure you should inflate the tire to. Once the beads are seated, then you should inflate the tires to 80PSI COLD.

You state that "All r of my tires are approximately 20# over inflated". This means that you were running your tires at approximately 60 PSI? That is typically seriously underinflated if you don't know the actual weights for each wheel position. When tires are underinflated, they have a tendency to overheat and fail, just like yours did.

I'd suggest you stop your travels, inspect all your tires and properly inflate them to 80psi. In addition, always make sure your spare is properly inflated before you travel.

Jim
          Hi Jim!

Oh man, I think you're right! I'm glad I posted this. When looking at that warning in the picture, I stopped reading at the "40 LBS." because there's a period after LBS and a new line. As you said, the sentence continues to say, "...pressure to seat lubricated beads." The way the text is situated it's a bit confusing. Now all 4 tires are 40 PSI UNDER INFLATED!! ***face, meet palm*** .

Time to get down on a knee and thank God for his protection. And, thanks for catching it Jim!

Comment

You are running your tires nearly flat. IMO, you got a lot more miles than I’d expect.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Hi Jim!

Oh man, I think you're right! I'm glad I posted this. When looking at that warning in the picture, I stopped reading at the "40 LBS." because there's a period after LBS and a new line. As you said, the sentence continues to say, "...pressure to seat lubricated beads." The way the text is situated it's a bit confusing. Now all 4 tires are 40 PSI UNDER INFLATED!! ***face, meet palm*** .

Time to get down on a knee and thank God for his protection. And, thanks for catching it Jim!
              Love your attitude!
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Hi Jim!

Hang in there brother. It's easy to get confused in the heat of the moment.

But I'd be concerned with the health of your current tires. If you've run them at 20-40 psi below the recommended pressure, they can already be damaged and ready to let go. There won't be any visible damage, but low pressure causes excessive heat and heat can cause the internal tire components to fail when you least expect it.

I'm not making a recommendation, but I switched to Goodyear Endurance tires which are made in the USA and so far have a pretty good track record. GDRV just recently switched to them also. Maxxis is another good brand.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

There is no way I would continue to use Westlake E rated tires that had been used while under inflated by 20-40psi. Since they are 15" tires, I would replace them with Goodyear Endurance.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

snovak Now that your tires have been overheated and stressed, they all should be replaced. There could be internal damage to the tires that would not be visible.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Hang in there brother. It's easy to get confused in the heat of the moment.

But I'd be concerned with the health of your current tires. If you've run them at 20-40 psi below the recommended pressure, they can already be damaged and ready to let go. There won't be any visible damage, but low pressure causes excessive heat and heat can cause the internal tire components to fail when you least expect it.

I'm not making a recommendation, but I switched to Goodyear Endurance tires which are made in the USA and so far have a pretty good track record. GDRV just recently switched to them also. Maxxis is another good brand.

Jim
                      Yeah, I had though about that, and you all are confirming. I'm with you. Fortunately, we're here in PA for 3 weeks. I'm looking into local places with the Goodyear tires on hand. I much appreciate everyone's feedback!

Comment

Yeah, I had though about that, and you all are confirming. I'm with you. Fortunately, we're here in PA for 3 weeks. I'm looking into local places with the Goodyear tires on hand. I much appreciate everyone's feedback!
                        NTB (National Tire & Battery) just put new Sailuns on my rig - very good price and did the installation correctly and with care. They can get any tire you need from the warehouse in just a couple of days - you don't have to look for a dealer with the tires in stock.

Rob
                        Last edited by Second Chance; 06-25-2020, 02:21 PM.
                        Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I just got to witness a westlake tire explode. While experiencing an axle failure on our last trip, I didn't like the way one tire was worn, so I put the spare on to come home. I took the 2 tires to a tire shop and had them put the spare tire on the nice wheel and put the worn tire on the spare wheel until I get my new 16" wheels and tires. A few minutes after the guy set the worn spare to 80psi and walked away from it, it exploded. It was like a bomb going off. Lucky for him he had just walked away from it.
                          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

I have yet to see any tire shops use a safety cage when airing up tires.
                            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
                              I have yet to see any tire shops use a safety cage when airing up tires.
                              Perhaps not in a consumer tire shop, but I believe it is an OSHA requirement in commercial (heavy truck/trailer/bus) shops.

Rob
                              Rob & Laura
                              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                              X