Tread Life (Goodyear Endurance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tread Life (Goodyear Endurance)

I track towing mileage meticulously--even pulling the trailer around the block is entered in a spreadsheet, so I know exactly how many miles are on the ST235/80R16 Goodyear Endurances on my 315RLTS. The number is 16,015. They were installed 16 Dec 18 and are now close to the wear markers.

16K miles seems like a really low number for the wear I'm seeing.

Has anyone else gone through a set of Goodyears and know the mileage?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Goodyear 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	22676

On a side note (as pointed out by Dan in another thread) I have an alignment issue on the rear, curb side. MORryde's alignment warranty is 90 days. :( At least it is made to be adjusted. I have shims on order (just in case) from MORryde that I'll take with me to the alignment shop in Ocala (a good day's drive from my home in NW Florida).

It's always something...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unusual Wear.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	22677

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard,

It that bottom photo, it looks like the inside shoulder is quite a bit more worn than the outside. Is there an alignment issue?

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Howard - the Goodyear Endurance tires start with a scant 8/32" tread depth to begin with. Most passenger tires are 11/32" to 12/32". So they look like they are wearing fast when in fact, that upper tire of your's looks great. See the sipes on the edge of the outer rib? That shows that the tire is wearing well and you have a lot of wear left. The wear bars should be set at 2/32". That means you have 6/32" of useable tread on your tires if you run all the way to the wear bars.

As Dan pointed out, that bottom tire is quite a bit out of alignment and looks just like mine did before the axle was changed. Just guessing, but I'll bet you'd get another 15K miles out of that top tire.

I'd recomment you use a tire tread depth guage to see where you're really at.

https://smile.amazon.com/GODESON-887...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        I track towing mileage meticulously--even pulling the trailer around the block is entered in a spreadsheet, so I know exactly how many miles are on the ST235/80R16 Goodyear Endurances on my 315RLTS. The number is 16,015. They were installed 16 Dec 18 and are now close to the wear markers.

16K miles seems like a really low number for the wear I'm seeing.

Has anyone else gone through a set of Goodyears and know the mileage?

Click image for larger version Name:	Goodyear 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	107.7 KB ID:	22676

On a side note (as pointed out by Dan in another thread) I have an alignment issue on the rear, curb side. MORryde's alignment warranty is 90 days. :( At least it is made to be adjusted. I have shims on order (just in case) from MORryde that I'll take with me to the alignment shop in Ocala (a good day's drive from my home in NW Florida).

It's always something...

Click image for larger version Name:	Unusual Wear.JPG Views:	0 Size:	111.6 KB ID:	22677

Howard
        Hi Howard,

That mileage seems to be low for that much wear to me as well. I also track towing mileage or more to the point the truck tracks towing mileage whenever the trailer is hooked up. I have 12,000 miles on my factory 16" Westlake tires and still plenty of tread left. Seems like the alignment issue has caused the tire wear or the Endurance don't wear very well.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Hi Howard,

I realize that this is not exactly answering your question, but I will offer some Westlake and Maxxis comparisons. I think the "message" here is that suspension and alignment are far more important to tire wear than brand of tire. I am fortunate to have four tires that are tracking straight on the original axles and suspension.

I ran the original Westlakes for 2 years and 11,000 miles. Removing them earlier than I really thought necessary because of all the drama over Westlake tires. In those 2 years, they went from 9/32" tread to 7/32" tread uniformly across all tires. I do rotate my trailer tires in an X pattern every year so this might have evened things out a little. The "four tire" picture is the removed Westlakes.

I went to Maxxis ST tires (Goodyear Endurance were not on the market yet) and I have run these for 3 years and 14,000 miles. I did not measure tread depth when new, but they are now uniformly at 7/32" to 6/32", so, wearing very much like the original Westlakes. Again, there is no discernible difference between inside to outside tread wear on any tire. The single tire picture is a current Maxxis, but all four look the same.

I am seriously considering replacing this second set of tires based on age . . . but, before I encountered all the angst over RV trailer tires, it never would have crossed my mind to replace either the Westlake or the Maxxis trailer tires based on the tread wear they exhibit.

You really do have to get after MORryde for them to get their expensive, fully adjustable suspension alignment up to basic OE beam axle capability. They should be buying you a new set of tires after (if?) they get this right. The tire wear in your pictures is definitely not acceptable, considering what you paid for their suspension system.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Howard - the Goodyear Endurance tires start with a scant 8/32" tread depth to begin with. Most passenger tires are 11/32" to 12/32". So they look like they are wearing fast when in fact, that upper tire of your's looks great. See the sipes on the edge of the outer rib? That shows that the tire is wearing well and you have a lot of wear left. The wear bars should be set at 2/32". That means you have 6/32" of useable tread on your tires if you run all the way to the wear bars.

As Dan pointed out, that bottom tire is quite a bit out of alignment and looks just like mine did before the axle was changed. Just guessing, but I'll bet you'd get another 15K miles out of that top tire.

I'd recomment you use a tire tread depth guage to see where you're really at.

https://smile.amazon.com/GODESON-887...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Jim
            Who's Dan?

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Who's Dan?

Rob
              From Howard's original post: "On a side note (as pointed out by Dan in another thread)"

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Who's Dan?

Rob
                I am not sure of the reference, but I would suspect Canyonlight

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Who's Dan?

Rob
                  Sorry--yes--it's Canyonlight . I forgot to tag using his forum name.

TucsonJim -- the two Goodyears on the street side (ironically the "heavy side") both look fine, so they are going to become my two spares. I've got a four Sailun S637's on order (they are G rated, 14 ply ST235/80R16 tires). The OEM provided Westlake spare, that still has it's original OEM sticker, will get sold.

I like how you and Rob (Cate&Rob) can accurately state tire wear (and Rob pre-emptively answered a question I had about tire rotation) so with these new tires I will document the starting point and then measure on some schedule (probably miles).

After consulting with an alignment shop I ordered three different size shims from MORryde (2 of each) as that *should* cover a worst-case scenario once they start the process. I'll follow-up with a summary of that experience once it's complete. It will be sometime after the 4th of July.
                  Last edited by howson; 06-26-2020, 08:59 PM. Reason: Fixed tire rating--thanks, Steve!
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson
                    Hi Howard,

Before you invest in new tires for an unproven MORryde alignment process, why not get the alignment done, rotate the current tires and measure tire wear over a few thousand miles before buying new tires? Your trailer should have left the MORryde facility perfectly aligned. My limited interaction with MORryde (over their heavy duty shackle kit) really has me wondering about their understanding of the details.

BTW . . . those H 14 ply tires are going to be rough on your trailer.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I've got a four Sailun S637's on order (they are H rated, 14 ply ST235/80R16 tires).
                      I'm planning to buy Sailun's, too. But I believe when you double check, you'll find that these tires are 14-ply G rated tires.

-Steve
                      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I'm planning to buy Sailun's, too. But I believe when you double check, you'll find that these tires are 14-ply G rated tires.

-Steve
                        Right you are! I'll fix the post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	G rated.JPG
Views:	1510
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	22726

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                          howson
                          Hi Howard,

Before you invest in new tires for an unproven MORryde alignment process, why not get the alignment done, rotate the current tires and measure tire wear over a few thousand miles before buying new tires? Your trailer should have left the MORryde facility perfectly aligned. My limited interaction with MORryde (over their heavy duty shackle kit) really has me wondering about their understanding of the details.

BTW . . . those H 14 ply tires are going to be rough on your trailer.

Rob
                          I've already ordered the tires. They'll be here next week. And steve&renee is right, they are G rated tires. Inflated to 80 psi an S637 has a load carrying capacity of ~3420 lbs. That (should!) be more than enough. Inflating to no more than 80 psi ensures the wheel and valves are appropriate, too, as I understand the wheel & tire system is limited by the weakest component. (In other words I would not inflate to 110 psi without verifying the wheel and valves can withstand that value. But if I need 4,080 lbs of carrying capacity per wheel, what the S637 will carry at 110 psi...it's time to get a different trailer.)

BL: The only way to know is to try them, so it will be interesting to experience the difference.

I must admit to being (belately) disappointed with the quality of the MORryde installation. They installed the wiring wrong (as previously documented in another thread) that caused a significant brake engagement delay issue, the alignment must have been bad right from the start thus the tire wear on that inside edge of the tire, and the components themselves had rusted significantly which tells me the finish on the components was poor. (Thus I ended up doing a lot of scrubbing and applying Corroseal.)

I could not have executed all the upgrades I've done to my trailer without replacing the OEM axles with MORryde's IS, so as with so many items that are "RV related" I guess my expectation level has dropped significantly. I'm not upset. My better half hates this saying, but "it is what it is".

On a more positive note, I'm just about done working on this thing (other than normal maintenance, cleaning, etc).

Comment

I've already ordered the tires. They'll be here next week. And steve&renee is right, they are G rated tires. Inflated to 80 psi an S637 has a load carrying capacity of ~3420 lbs. That (should!) be more than enough. Inflating to no more than 80 psi ensures the wheel and valves are appropriate, too, as I understand the wheel & tire system is limited by the weakest component. (In other words I would not inflate to 110 psi without verifying the wheel and valves can withstand that value. But if I need 4,080 lbs of carrying capacity per wheel, what the S637 will carry at 110 psi...it's time to get a different trailer.)

BL: The only way to know is to try them, so it will be interesting to experience the difference.

I must admit to being (belately) disappointed with the quality of the MORryde installation. They installed the wiring wrong (as previously documented in another thread) that caused a significant brake engagement delay issue, the alignment must have been bad right from the start thus the tire wear on that inside edge of the tire, and the components themselves had rusted significantly which tells me the finish on the components was poor. (Thus I ended up doing a lot of scrubbing and applying Corroseal.)

I could not have executed all the upgrades I've done to my trailer without replacing the OEM axles with MORryde's IS, so as with so many items that are "RV related" I guess my expectation level has dropped significantly. I'm not upset. My better half hates this saying, but "it is what it is".

On a more positive note, I'm just about done working on this thing (other than normal maintenance, cleaning, etc).
                            I'm puzzled by your experience with the MORryde alignment. We've now had the IS installed on two rigs and the alignment in each case has been perfect - no abnormal tire wear at all.

Rob
                            Rob & Laura
                            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I'm puzzled by your experience with the MORryde alignment. We've now had the IS installed on two rigs and the alignment in each case has been perfect - no abnormal tire wear at all.

Rob
                              howson

I would go with SC Rob’s experience on this. Much more relevant than mine WRT MORryde capability. Perhaps you can leverage this to get MORryde to get your alignment sorted out. This should be on them . . . not on you to resolve this with an independent alignment shop. I (personally) wouldn’t go anywhere near MORryde for suspension work, but you are locked into what they have done and they need to step up to fix what they have sold to you.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X