Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

howson

I would go with SC Rob’s experience on this. Much more relevant than mine WRT MORryde capability. Perhaps you can leverage this to get MORryde to get your alignment sorted out. This should be on them . . . not on you to resolve this with an independent alignment shop. I (personally) wouldn’t go anywhere near MORryde for suspension work, but you are locked into what they have done and they need to step up to fix what they have sold to you.

Rob
    I agree. Send the photos to Brian at MORryde and see if they won't cover an alignment at a heavy truck & trailer shop near you with Hunter alignment equipment.

(another) Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

howson Howard,

It looks like MorRyde owes you some replacement tires. It could be a testament to the Goodyear tires that held up with this much wear as the one tire would have been generating some serious heat on the inside edge.

Jim

Comment

Guest , Cate&Rob and Second Chance ,

I know about alignments, camber, toe, etc., but have never actually done any of this type of work. When the technician looks at the alignment on my trailer, will they be able to diagnose if the alignment was bad from the initial install or if the alignment was knocked out due to a road event?

"Road conditions are outside of our control" was the rationale relayed to me by Jennifer Gregory, an aftermarket sales individual at MORryde, as to why the alignment has a 90 day warranty. The logic seems a bit twisted--I guess within the first 90 days they assume I'd only be on smooth roads? I should have gone on Michigan interstates (well documented rough roads) and then stopped back at MORryde on the way home and gotten a free alignment.

My plan is to get the trailer's alignment fixed, ask for information from the technician who does the work (at a MORryde approved facility) about what they found, and then submit everything to Brian and see how MORryde responds.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson
          Hi Howard,

Visible damage can certainly be the cause of misalignment, but often this is not the the case. "Tweaks" to the suspension brackets and even the frame can put the tires out of alignment without there being any single visible cause. I don't know the details of the MORryde alignment process, but I think I recall some discussion about how they supported your trailer during the installation process. Causing the slides to bind? Do you know if they did an alignment with the weight on the tires, or did they just go with measurements on the jack stands during installation?

Input from others who have been to the MORryde facility and had their suspension installed, would help here. The 90 day limitation on alignment would not give most purchasers enough time to monitor tire wear (the most common indicator of misalignment) unless they travelled an unusual number of miles in those 90 days.

Rob
          Last edited by Cate&Rob; 06-27-2020, 08:13 AM.
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It could just be a case of a crappy tech that did the alignment.
            2018 Reflection 315RLTS
            2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

howson
              Hi Howard,

Visible damage can certainly be the cause of misalignment, but often this is not the the case. "Tweaks" to the suspension brackets and even the frame can put the tires out of alignment without there being any single visible cause. I don't know the details of the MORryde alignment process, but I think I recall some discussion about how they supported your trailer during the installation process. Causing the slides to bind? Do you know if they did an alignment with the weight on the tires, or did they just go with measurements on the jack stands during installation?

Input from others who have been to the MORryde facility and had their suspension installed, would help here. The 90 day limitation on alignment would not give most purchasers enough time to monitor tire wear (the most common indicator of misalignment) unless they travelled an unusual number of miles in those 90 days.

Rob
              You have a good memory. Yes, the slides bound when I tried to deploy them at the end of the first day. I stopped, put them back in, and we left (stayed in a hotel).

There was another individual here who posted about their MORryde experience where they had to have GD (or Lippert?) come over and fix a slide on a trailer due to the exact same issue. Our trailers were not meant to be suspended in the air by putting two jacks under the rear end of the frame and two jacks under the front part of the frame.

Below is my trailer during the install process last Sep at the Elkhart MORryde installation facility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MORryde Jacking.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	22759

To your question--I have no idea how/when they did the alignment. With what I know now, I'd ask that question during the install and also ask for a printout of the alignment results.

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard,

These rigs are incredibly flexible where the alignment should have been done with weight on all four tires. Curious did they provide a recommendation in how to jack up the rig after the MorRyde installation?. I've made up the saddle axle brackets that were discussed on the forum and they work fantastic for a conventional axle application.

A good alignment shop would be able to let you know if the system can be brought back into alignment and if there is enough adjustment for future alignment (proper install).

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2020, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  howson Howard,

These rigs are incredibly flexible where the alignment should have been done with weight on all four tires. Curious did they provide a recommendation in how to jack up the rig after the MorRyde installation?. I've made up the saddle axle brackets that were discussed on the forum and they work fantastic for a conventional axle application.

A good alignment shop would be able to let you know if the system can be brought back into alignment and if there is enough adjustment for future alignment (proper install).

Jim
                  Owners who are on-site for the IS installation are given printed documentation. The service and alignment guides can be downloaded here (along with a list of alignment service centers that they've worked with):

https://www.morryde.com/product-documentation/

We were present for the installation on our Reflection and were given the print-out from the Hunter alignment system, as well. We did not get that document this time since we did everything long-distance. The way the IS is designed and built, it would be a real outlier if it were not possible to bring the system back into specs.

As for supporting the frame during installation, my photos from the installation on our Reflection show the trailer supported by the front landing gear (I realize this is not an option on a travel trailer) and four more really heavy hydraulic jacks - two in front of the axle area and two behind.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                    Owners who are on-site for the IS installation are given printed documentation.
                    I didn't receive any documentation, nor did it dawn on me to ask for it. As I often like to say, it's the question you don't know to ask that bites you in the <insert word choice here>.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

You have a good memory. Yes, the slides bound when I tried to deploy them at the end of the first day. I stopped, put them back in, and we left (stayed in a hotel).

There was another individual here who posted about their MORryde experience where they had to have GD (or Lippert?) come over and fix a slide on a trailer due to the exact same issue. Our trailers were not meant to be suspended in the air by putting two jacks under the rear end of the frame and two jacks under the front part of the frame.

Below is my trailer during the install process last Sep at the Elkhart MORryde installation facility.

Name:	MORryde Jacking.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	22759

To your question--I have no idea how/when they did the alignment. With what I know now, I'd ask that question during the install and also ask for a printout of the alignment results.

Howard

Howard if you recall, I had suspension work done at Lippert and this is how they supported the frame. It would seem to me that additional support in front of axle area would have been required but apparently Lippert also supports as shown.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Towed 368 miles (one way!) to the Tampa Spring Co in Ocala, Florida as they were the closest authorized MORryde alignment center. Below are the results

FRONT AXLE

Name:	Front Axle.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	23820

REAR AXLE

Name:	Rear Axle.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	23821

Based on the numbers the technicians at the Tampa Spring Co said they weren't surprised to see the tire wear.

I've sent Brian at MORryde this information with a request for reimbursement for the alignment $202. That number does not include the cost of diesel to get to Ocala (and back), the cost of shims I purchased from MORryde (I bought two of each size--just in case) nor the cost for the one night at the campground in Ocala. I'll report the results.

Howard

Comment

For the record, when the IS was installed at MORryde on 4 Sep 19 the Goodyear tires had 9,724 miles on them (OEM Dexter suspension). The total miles on the Goodyear tires is 16,505. 6,781 with the IS suspension and 9,724 with the OEM Dexter suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                            Towed 368 miles (one way!) to the Tampa Spring Co in Ocala, Florida as they were the closest authorized MORryde alignment center. Below are the results

FRONT AXLE

Name:	Front Axle.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	23820

REAR AXLE

Name:	Rear Axle.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	23821

Based on the numbers the technicians at the Tampa Spring Co said they weren't surprised to see the tire wear.

I've sent Brian at MORryde this information with a request for reimbursement for the alignment $202. That number does not include the cost of diesel to get to Ocala (and back), the cost of shims I purchased from MORryde (I bought two of each size--just in case) nor the cost for the one night at the campground in Ocala. I'll report the results.

Howard
                            Those numbers explain a lot on the tire wear. Sure was out of alignment. How Moryde reimburses you for at least the alignment.

Rob
                            Rob & Barb
                            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

howson
                              Hi Howard,

With the initial data showing that almost every measurement at every location was outside of a reasonable specification, this does not look like misalignment from in-use damage. That you would expect to be predominantly at one location. I think MORryde owes you a set of tires (but, this is just my opinion).

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howson
                                Hi Howard,

With the initial data showing that almost every measurement at every location was outside of a reasonable specification, this does not look like misalignment from in-use damage. That you would expect to be predominantly at one location. I think MORryde owes you a set of tires (but, this is just my opinion).

Rob
                                Rob,

X2 on tires and cost of alignment, travel, etc.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X