Tread Life (Goodyear Endurance)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard-
    I don't get the impression at all that you don't like your RV. Quite the contrary. I mean, what would you do with all your free time if you didn't have an RV to work on????

I'm glad you started this thread because I assumed since I paid the premium for MORryde IS that all would be perfect with my suspension. Now that I'm reminded the people at MORryde are human and humans make mistakes, I will monitor my tire wear just like I did when I had axles.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If I got upset with every disappointment associated with RV "stuff" I'd be in the intensive care ward with massive ulcers. Refrigerators that won't cool consistently, stoves that don't cook food evenly, a thermostat mounted in a ridiculous location so I got wild temperature swings in the camper when coffee was made, soft water hoses that would have leaked and failed, an "entertainment center" that won't play DVDs without skipping...I could go on and on and on. But they are not worth getting all in a lather over.

A reader could conclude I don't like my RV but that is not my intent with this reply--the DW and I have had wonderful experiences in a lot of places and met great people like many of the members of this forum. But boy have I learned a lot about RVs over the last 2+ years! That's the real point of my posts--to share experiences and "lessons learned" so others can benefit from them (both bad and good). Anyone that thinks RV ownership will be equivalent to owning a modern automobile (I've had very good fortune with both foreign and domestic auto purchases) is in for a rude awakening.
      I think sharing this with Don Clark for review and feedback would be of value. You mods. are very well respected and appreciated by all of us and certainly GDRV. Reading this from Howard would hopefully generate some serious leadership discussions on "quality" being touted and possible changes going forward.

We old timers as the baby boomers whom the industry used to focus on kinda just dealt with (and continue to deal with) these issues mostly among ourselves. The new buying generation group for the industry (the Millennials) does not want to deal with these issues or they do not have the ability, desire or training to do so. And they will be all social media destroying the product and company. The industry is at a tipping point and those who act to and do improve now will be the winners in the future.

You all who know me know that I am a HUGE supporter of GDRV and the team from pretty much day one and to this day even more so. Many of us over the years have shared considerable feedback on not just the good and the great of GDRV, the team, and the product but we have worked as partners to share things needing attention to build a better product, better company, better industry, and better experience. This is one of those times.

Howard, my apologies for taking your thread off the rails.

Dan
      Dan & Carol
      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

"Has anyone else gone through a set of Goodyears and know the mileage?" howson
        I thought that is a good question. I haven't been through a set yet, but I can show where I am now. I bought Goodyear Endurance in Oct 2018. The tires have worn evenly and have 17,500 miles now. They replaced the original Westlakes that barely made 11,700 miles. I was fortunate to notice a bulge in the tread from belt separation before the tire blew.

Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear Endurance 17500 miles.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	27288
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Another question. Folks that replaced their E rated Westlakes with E rated GY Endurance. Have any of you experienced any issues with the GY tires? Alignment and road hazards do not count. Looking if there have been any tread separation particularly.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Another question. Folks that replaced their E rated Westlakes with E rated GY Endurance. Have any of you experienced any issues with the GY tires? Alignment and road hazards do not count. Looking if there have been any tread separation particularly.

Jim
            So far so good on mine Jim. I have replaced one due to alignment issues, and one due to a puncture, but like you said, those don't count.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

So far so good on mine Jim. I have replaced one due to alignment issues, and one due to a puncture, but like you said, those don't count.

Jim
              Nice Jim.

So wondering if anyone who has replaced their Westlake tires due to tread separation while still maintaining tire pressure if they have also experienced this again with any different brand tire? And since no tire is impervious to road hazards or poor alignment, those do not count.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2020, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Jim
                Mine are E rated, and as described above, are working out well.
                Dave
                2016 Reflection 27RL
                2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Anyone buy the Goodyear Endurance tires in 15 inch lately? I went to to have them put on at my local shop and when them mounted them up the tires had a bulge on both sides like a bad cord. The shop tried all 6 they had in stock and they all had the bulge. He got 4 more from the warehouse and they had the bulge as well. He had 16 inch tires mounted on 10 rims for another customer and none of them had the bulge. When he called Goodyear to ask about the issue they told him "We have no complaints about that issue" and told him they would take back all his tires for a refund. He asked about getting a set from another plant since these all had the same plant code in the DOT number and they said just try back in a couple of months and see if the bulge was gone. It doesn't seem like Goodyear is concerned about tires with issue so make sure you check the ones you buy if you are getting the 225/75R15 size.

I'll just wait until the spring and try again.

Joe

Comment

Scubabuzz ,

​​​​​​​The small indentation on the sidewall is from overlapping cords and is normal. This can be seen in most all modern tire designs. These indentations/undulations can be seen on all my GY Endurance tires as well as my Michelin Defenders on the TV.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=32

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2020, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Guest,
                      These were not the cord overlap. I am familiar with that as most every tire shows signs of that. These we bulges outward about 3/8 inch on each side of the tire away from the cord overlap spot. I don't have photos because the tire shop took a bunch and sent them to Goodyear so I didn't bother with them. The tire shop even said it looks like a broken cord though the interesting part is that the tread was not bulged outward. The tire shop said they have not seen anything like it but they wouldn't trust them so neither did I. It looks just like the photo on the right in this image on both sides of the tire:

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/wp-c...e-Examples.png

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Scubabuzz View Post
                        Guest,
                        These were not the cord overlap. I am familiar with that as most every tire shows signs of that. These we bulges outward about 3/8 inch on each side of the tire away from the cord overlap spot. I don't have photos because the tire shop took a bunch and sent them to Goodyear so I didn't bother with them. The tire shop even said it looks like a broken cord though the interesting part is that the tread was not bulged outward. The tire shop said they have not seen anything like it but they wouldn't trust them so neither did I. It looks just like the photo on the right in this image on both sides of the tire:

https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/wp-c...e-Examples.png

Joe
                        Joe,

If the bulge is that large I would also be concerned. The bulge as seen in the pic you provided is from road damage where its odd that a new tire would have this type of issue. The normal sidewall undulation can be seen on the second pic in post #1 from Howard.

I'm happy with my GY Endurance tires and so far I have not heard of a single failure.

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                          I still want to get a set since they seem to be good tire but I am going to wait and get them over the winter when we are not using the camper. The tire shop said they will wait a while and then order up new stock and let me know when they get a new production run number so we can try again. He said he would mount one up and check it before I come down so my current tires will last the rest of this season. Heck they only have 2k miles on them but they are the Westlakes and I really don't care for them as they seem to hydroplane in a heavy rain. I am hoping the Goodyear tires with the sipes on the sides work better for foul weather driving.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Scubabuzz View Post
                            Jim,
                            I still want to get a set since they seem to be good tire but I am going to wait and get them over the winter when we are not using the camper. The tire shop said they will wait a while and then order up new stock and let me know when they get a new production run number so we can try again. He said he would mount one up and check it before I come down so my current tires will last the rest of this season. Heck they only have 2k miles on them but they are the Westlakes and I really don't care for them as they seem to hydroplane in a heavy rain. I am hoping the Goodyear tires with the sipes on the sides work better for foul weather driving.

Joe
                            FWIW, I replaced my Westlakes with the Goodyear Endurance tires this spring. The first thing I noticed was the Goodyear tires have a very shallow tread depth compared to the Westlake tires. I'm not convinced you will improve your hydroplane problem when driving in foul weather. We have driven in some very heavy rains but I have never experienced a hydroplaning problem. I'll bet that is a scary situation.
                            John & Cindy
                            2019 303 RLS
                            2018 F250

Comment

John,
                              It was not pleasant but it was manageable. We ran into a sudden thundershower on the highway and found a spot in the road that had a bit more water (not crowned) and it felt like an intensified semi had gone by us but we were alone on the road. We swayed a bit but then it straightened right up. The truck had no problems with the road so maybe this is normal for trailer tires. First time in that type of downpour so I guess more experience will tell.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X