Morryde sre 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morryde sre 4000

Attempting to install the Morryde sre 4000 with heavy duty shackles on my 2019 303. I thought I could do one side at a time, but can’t seem to get new shackles to align. Must I have the other side of the rv off the ground and axles freed up?
    Last edited by Popeye; 06-28-2020, 09:15 AM.
    Chip and Janice
    2019 303RLS, 2019 F350 LB Diesel Dually
    B&W Companion
    Goodyear Endurance
    Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Originally posted by Popeye View Post
    Attempting to install the Morryde sre 4000 with heavy duty shackles on my 2019 303. I thought I could do one side at a time, but can’t seem to get new shackles to align. Must I have the other side of the rv off the ground and axles freed up?
    Hi Popeye,

Actually, it gets more difficult if you get both ends of the axles in the air at the same time . . . LOL!

The axle ends that you are working on have probably moved towards each other . . . this seems to be a normal occurrence that I and others have experienced. For this first exercise, you will have to get one side connected and use a come-along to the back bumper, front landing gear (or something similar) to pull the second axle away from the first to get the second side connected. For the other end of the axles, make up a wooden spacer to hold the axle spacing before you take things apart.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Popeye,

I used a ratchet style nylon tie down that folks use to lash down cargo in the bed of the truck. The tie down will move the axles effortlessly. Also if you end up with a shackle that inverts, a small bar to pry it back up is also easy and effortless to do.

Your probably aware the SRE4000 must have the X Factor bracket installed on the center hanger. I installed one when installing my CRE3000's even though it was not required.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the information on this. I’ve been racking my brain on this. I do have the brace and hopefully it will go in ok.
        Chip and Janice
        B&W Companion
        Goodyear Endurance
        Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A2C3E3DF-35CF-4630-8F6B-8DC17C7005F0.jpeg
Views:	1240
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	22860Click image for larger version

Name:	BE8F2336-532C-4EA2-AEA6-2842D07B938F.jpeg
Views:	1328
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	22859 I have both leaf springs disconnected. Do I use a come along to draw the axels close together enough to shackle up the 4000? And then pull them apart using a come along or ratchet strap to connect the other ends of the leaf spring? It would seem something would bend or break.
          Chip and Janice
          B&W Companion
          Goodyear Endurance
          Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

What is holding up the axle on the right in the picture? If you lower this axle, the equalizer should swing to the left and you can get the other shackle connected. There are short and long shackle plates. I am not familiar with the MORryde 4000 . . . do the new parts have the same "span" as the original parts? or should you be using the longer shackles?

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Both axles are just hanging. I moved a jack out from under that axle, you just see a portion of it. And the shackles are the same size as the older ones, just thicker. I didn’t know about longer shackles. Maybe that’s my issue.
              Chip and Janice
              B&W Companion
              Goodyear Endurance
              Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1A410470-B3BC-4F34-8647-1E0579BDAE57.jpeg
Views:	1225
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	22870 A picture of the new morryde and the old one. The morryde is several inches taller and that might be accounting for the wider spread.
                Chip and Janice
                B&W Companion
                Goodyear Endurance
                Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

The two common shackle plate lengths are 2 1/4” and 3 1/8”. There are other lengths as well. With the MORryde equalizer having a greater distance between the attachment to the hanger and the attachments to the shackles . . . I would think that the shackle plates would also have to be longer. Assuming that you purchased a “kit” to replace the OE Dexter equalizer and shackles . . . MORryde should have supplied the correct combination of parts. This is probably worth a discussion with MORryde based on your comparison picture.

BTW, assuming that you are going to wet bolts and bronze bushings, the grease holes should be at the 3 or 9 o’clock positions. MORryde will likely have driven the bolts into the shackles at random orientations. Yet another MORryde lack of understanding and/or attention to the details.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The SRE4000 qualification form gives the requirements for spacing.
                    2-1/4" shackle on the center equalizer is also a requirement for the CRE3000. I emailed MORryde to verify that was correct for the CRE3000 vs the original 3-1/8" shackles the lippert used.
                    So a call to MORryde might be needed for their advice.

STEP 8 Verify that the frame hanger spread (FHS) is a minimum of 58 7/8” for a 33” wheel base and 60 3/4" for a 35” wheel base.
                    STEP 9 A straight axle (not a drop axle) must be used.
                    STEP 10 A minimum of a 15” rim must be used (only with OS axle, not US axle).
                    STEP 11 Shackle links that are 2 1/4” hole center to hole center must be used.

I used bottle jacks under the end of the axles and adjusted them up/down to help move the CRE3000 and spring ends so I could connect shackles to the CRE3000.
                    SRE4000 is taller so not quite the same and don't know if that would be enough movement for you.

Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Thanks for the help and advice. I had done all the measurements and believe the 4000 will work. I had ordered the kit through Amazon and either I or amazon gooned it up on the shackle size. I’m going to call Morryde in the morning and see what they say. More than likely I have the wrong shackle size. I took on this project thinking it might be to much for this old administrative type, hope the correct shackle will be the fix. Thanks for the help.
                      Chip and Janice
                      B&W Companion
                      Goodyear Endurance
                      Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

Contacted Morryde about my suspension upgrade and they recommended the 3 1/8” shackles. Ordered and received the new shackles. These made a lot of sense to my upgrade as the sre 4000 is about 4” taller than the stock equalizer. Anyway, quite a challenge for me but got her done. Now just a test run to make sure I did the bearings and suspension system correctly.
                        Chip and Janice
                        B&W Companion
                        Goodyear Endurance
                        Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	A5AC182F-A441-4E73-B7B8-71765789CDB6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	24745Click image for larger version  Name:	9F7EFD7F-8AD9-499C-9225-B3C60336F013.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	110.0 KB ID:	24744 Just wanted to add this for those who might attempt this project I did a while back. I was stumped about how to get the spline wet bolt through the equalizer hanger. Note: this is not a wet bolt, just a representation. I purchased this two jaw puller that did the trick.
                          Last edited by Popeye; 07-19-2020, 06:59 AM.
                          Chip and Janice
                          B&W Companion
                          Goodyear Endurance
                          Morryde SRE 4000

Mize Ms.

Comment

Working...
                          X