Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgraded axles and disk Brakes not available in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded axles and disk Brakes not available in Canada?

It's says on the GD website that the upgraded axles and disk Brakes are not available in Canada?

Why would that be?

Originally posted by PGCamp View Post
    It's says on the GD website that the upgraded axles and disk Brakes are not available in Canada?

Why would that be?
    GDRV-Emily and/or GDRV-Megan -- can you answer this one?

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by PGCamp View Post

Why would that be?
      Yes, this is correct. There is an 8K axle restriction due to the CSA (Canadian Standards Association).

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Yes, this is correct. There is an 8K axle restriction due to the CSA (Canadian Standards Association).
        Could Dexter produce an axel tag that would read 7900#?
        Plenty of this goes on here in the states to keep trailer weights under 10,000#.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What about 7,000?

It's less that 8, even here.

Comment

I'm going to tag-team GDRV-Emily on this one, as she's way more familiar with axles than I am.

Comment

Hey everyone!

So Canada has some insane and crazy restrictions when it comes to 8k axles, and even more guidelines to follow when it comes to disc brake options. They will not pass the current brake that is used in an 8k application by either Dexter nor LCI... which means that the 8k axles that go there, are considered hybrids (we do not currently use this application, but other mfg do). They take the 12x2 brake and put it on the 8k axle application. However, spindle and brake itself are not rated at a full 8k. Since they list it as a hybrid, it is able to get over the border. That is just the old LCI knowledge coming out.
              LOL

since we do not have the ability to offer the true 8k, and the only 8k option we offer is the disc brake... we cannot get the approval to have this go to Canada. Some other restrictions I have seen are having a type of E Brake option (emergency or hand brake option) like they use in Europe... but no one has really done much research on it as it is pretty pricey to add in, and the mfg of axles here in the states, really don't have the option.

I personally don't believe that you should underrate any part of the axle assembly in order to get it over the border, and my gut tells me that our mgmt more than likely feels the same way. However, that is just my personal opinion.

We do have to oblige by what our axle mfg recommends and what they are to accommodate and at this time, the 8k option is just not a possibility.

Thanks all!

Comment

GDRV-Emily
                Hi Emily,

Thanks for the details . . . what a curious situation. Just to complete the story, what brakes go on a standard US market 8000 lb axle? (where Canadian units get 12x2)

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

GDRV-Emily. Emily, you may have missed Rob's follow up question.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
                    Hey everyone!

So Canada has some insane and crazy restrictions when it comes to 8k axles, and even more guidelines to follow when it comes to disc brake options. They will not pass the current brake that is used in an 8k application by either Dexter nor LCI... which means that the 8k axles that go there, are considered hybrids (we do not currently use this application, but other mfg do). They take the 12x2 brake and put it on the 8k axle application. However, spindle and brake itself are not rated at a full 8k. Since they list it as a hybrid, it is able to get over the border. That is just the old LCI knowledge coming out.
                    LOL

since we do not have the ability to offer the true 8k, and the only 8k option we offer is the disc brake... we cannot get the approval to have this go to Canada. Some other restrictions I have seen are having a type of E Brake option (emergency or hand brake option) like they use in Europe... but no one has really done much research on it as it is pretty pricey to add in, and the mfg of axles here in the states, really don't have the option.

I personally don't believe that you should underrate any part of the axle assembly in order to get it over the border, and my gut tells me that our mgmt more than likely feels the same way. However, that is just my personal opinion.

We do have to oblige by what our axle mfg recommends and what they are to accommodate and at this time, the 8k option is just not a possibility.

Thanks all!
                    Here is a unit with the 8,000 lb axle, and disk brakes, in Alberta.

https://youtu.be/qqRdw3nZaAI

https://www.woodysrv.com/showcase/rv...e-390rk--10408

Comment

Working...
                    X