This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lt tires

Thinking of putting 16in lt tires on my 2017 303rls. Has anyone done this? If so what tires and wheels did you purchase? I have added heavy duty shackles and wet bolts. Any other mods needed?

Hi Kdad. Welcome to the forum. What size tires do you have now, and what size are you considering?

Several years ago, it was hard to find a quality trailer tire, so some owners took matters into their own hands and installed LT tires. The current philosophy is to use trailer tires (ST) on towable products. There are many reasons.

ST tires have stiffer sidewalls that can handle the forces encountered in turning. They typically have a high weight capacity for the same size and load range of an equivalent LT tire. They are forumulated from compounds that are designed to handle the different environment that a trailer tire experiences.

Good brands of trailer tires that have been mentioned on this forum are Goodyear Endurance, Maxxis, Sailun, Hercules and others.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Many moved to the LT tires when the Chinese were producing tires that were gaining serious negative attention due to failures. But times have changed and there are many good quality ST tires available. But its still buyer beware as there are still poor quality tires being sold in both ST as well as LT from folks across the pond.

1) ST tires do have heavier construction with heavier cords and belts to handle loads that are unique to trailers.
      2) ST tires are designed specifically for the side loads that LT tires are not specifically designed to handle.
      3) ST tires do not have the same traction tire design and requirements as an LT tire so rolling resistance would be lower in the ST tire.

Many have ran LT tires with no issues and back in the day of the Chinabombs, that was the best option available. But today that is not the case.

I believe your Michelin XPS RIB tires are a summer tire which means they will turn into stones in cold temperatures.

I'm satisfied with my Goodyear Endurance tires on my TT and the Michelin LTX on my TV.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindog
        Now that is some funny stuff.

#1 "ST tires use fewer but heavier cords "(from an ST tire makers website) in the sidewalls for unique loads...... Also cheaper to make.
        #2 side loads. only true for the rear axle of a TV. The steer axle experiences very high side loads.
        #3 ???? Are you actually saying that low traction is a good thing? What about trailer brakes?

As for my Michelins in cold weather turning into stones.... I am far from a fair weather camper. The worse the weather the better I like it. If I only camped in nice weather, I would not even need a tent let alone an RV. I have run the Michelins well below zero many times.
        No stones yet.

And I really doubt the Endurance is rated for winter use anyways.
        One of the big differences between the XPS Rib and the Endurance is the load rating.

A XPS rig in LT 235/85-16 (E1) has a load rating of 120, or 3,086 pounds. If you put these tires on a 7,000# axle, your tires will be 828# under the axle rating.

An Endurance ST tire in the same size and load range will have a load rating of 125, or 3,638# which will exceed the axle rating by 276#

It's important to make sure what ever tire you use as a replacement has the same or higher load rating as the OEM tires. Otherwise, you may not meet the load requirements.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindog
          Now that is some funny stuff.

#1 "ST tires use fewer but heavier cords "(from an ST tire makers website) in the sidewalls for unique loads...... Also cheaper to make.
          #2 side loads. only true for the rear axle of a TV. The steer axle experiences very high side loads.
          #3 ???? Are you actually saying that low traction is a good thing? What about trailer brakes?

As for my Michelins in cold weather turning into stones.... I am far from a fair weather camper. The worse the weather the better I like it. If I only camped in nice weather, I would not even need a tent let alone an RV. I have run the Michelins well below zero many times.
          No stones yet.

And I really doubt the Endurance is rated for winter use anyways.
          I get this funny stuff from engineer friends at Goodyear Tire and Rubber in Akron, Ohio. I trust what they say about tires. Trailer tires are not specifically designed for tractive effort, so the braking traction is there but the cord and belt design is made specifically for trailers, typically have a higher load rating and will have lower rolling resistance than the LT tire. Oh, and ST tires do run cooler.

Below is a link to a video where this fellow provides very informative information on the differences between passenger car, LT and ST tires.

You can take the advice from folks in the industry or owners with years of experience in this area, or you can make your own decisions on what to buy based on old ST tire technology. I will purchase modern trailer tires for my TT and truck tires for my TV.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Kdad, I ran LT tires on my 13,000+ lb Reflection for years and was very happy with them. I had probably a god 30,000 miles or more on them. When I went to replace them the exact tire I was running was no longer made so I chose to go with the Sailun S637 which is an ST tire.

I love the quality of these commercial grade tires and you can't beat the price. I will add that the shoulders of my LTs did wear faster that the contact thread and it doesn't look like that could ever happen with the Sailuns, they are beefy as heck.

One caution is to make certain the increase wheel/tire package will fit under your trailer without coming in contact with the underside of the trailer. Been there and done that with my last trailer.
            Paul and Deb Cervone
            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
            2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

I guess this thread has run its course. Hopefully Kdad will return and be able to pick thru here and find some useful information.
              Thanks to all that has participated , all of your thoughts , input and opinions were appreciated.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                I guess this thread has run its course. Hopefully Kdad will return and be able to pick thru here and find some useful information.
                Thanks to all that has participated , all of your thoughts , input and opinions were appreciated.

Brian
                Brian,

I agree since this thread has quickly been reduced to a Facebook style discussion.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X