Tire question on Americus tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question on Americus tires

I just bought a newer TV and the tires looked new but when I got home and looked them over it says Max psi 44 lbs,these are Americus All terrain 265/70 R18 since all my other tire had a max pressure of 80 psi I am a tad on the confused side. Any thoughts out there? TIA
    Mike Foster
    2020 Transcend Xplor 221RB

Originally posted by mesa View Post
    I just bought a newer TV and the tires looked new but when I got home and looked them over it says Max psi 44 lbs,these are Americus All terrain 265/70 R18 since all my other tire had a max pressure of 80 psi I am a tad on the confused side. Any thoughts out there? TIA
    Most likely the one with 44 PSI MAX is a P and not an LT Tire. My guess is when the new tires were put on a P rated tire was put on in error. If these look new I would go back where you bought the truck and point it out. They likely still have the receipt and can help you get the error corrected.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

mesa
      You don’t mention what your new TV is . . . if it is a half ton, passenger car tires are normal. What does the door label show as OE tires?

(another) Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

New TV is 2017 Silverado 2500
        Mike Foster

Comment

mesa

Hi Mike,

The labels on the driver's door will define the OE tire size and pressure required to meet the specified load ratings.
          (Not going to be a P spec tire on a 2500 .)

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Quite often, a tire will say to not exceed 44 psi while trying to seat the bead in the wheel. This is for the tire installer's safety. But in the fine print it will give the tire's load range at 80 psi max. I'm not saying this is the case on your tires, but check out the fine print.

If the tire placard on your truck states that you should use a load range E tire, and it's not, then you need to go back to the tire store for a change. They should not be allowed to put a tire on that doesn't meet the requirements of the tire placard.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

thanks everyone, Its a use truck so no receipts about which store put them on. Oh well, I had ordered new wheels so no I get some new rubber also
              Mike Foster

Comment

Working...
              X