No announcement yet.

Sailun S637 Tires Installed ( 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailun S637 Tires Installed ( 315RLTS )

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sailun 1.JPG Views:	8 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	24651

The best 2 of the Goodyear Endurance tires are now the spares.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Endurance Spares.JPG Views:	9 Size:	216.9 KB ID:	24649

The Sailun's have 9/32" of tread on them as measured in each tread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tire Tread.JPG Views:	9 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	24650

In a future post on this thread I'll put a table that will be updated as appropriate over time.

Howard

P.S. Trivia note...manufacture date is 49th week (first week of December) of 2019.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4919.JPG Views:	9 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	24652
    Last edited by howson; 07-18-2020, 12:31 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard - Can you explain your reasoning for switching from the Goodyear Endurance tires to the Sailun tires?"

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Howard - Can you explain your reasoning for switching from the Goodyear Endurance tires to the Sailun tires?"

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim,
      The Goodyear Endurance "E" rated tires would have worked, as their ~3400 lbs rating at 80 psi is plenty, even with the extra weight on my trailer. In fact, the Tampa Spring guys went so far as to say it was a tribute to the robustness of the Goodyear tire that I did not experience a blowout even with my poorly aligned suspension. For those that have not read the thread documenting the alignment issue, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...year-endurance

My 315RLTS is probably unique. Between MORryde's IS, the slide toppers, washer/dryer, inverter/battery/solar mods, and a multitude of other minor changes...it's heavy. I have weights of each tire (by the Smart Weigh folks) that was accomplished prior to a lot of the mods. I know approximately the percentage of the total trailer's weight on each tire. Even the tire that weighed the most (front-street side) it is still well under 3400 lbs. In the fall I'll be doing my first bearing maintenance and plan on trying Cate&Rob 's method of weighing each tire position using my Sherline.

So why the Sailun? Honestly--just to try them. Sailun's inflation chart shows that at 80 psi the tire is effectively an "E" tire with the same weight carrying capacity as the Goodyear. What difference will the extra four plys make? No idea. We'll see how it wears and I'll report the ownership experience. I won't know until I try them. (Thus this thread that I'll update at some point in the future with tread depth vs mileage.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear.JPG
Views:	1912
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	24660

Note the chart below was taken from another internet forum and was not provided by Sailun (the chart is no longer on their website).

Name:	Sailun Chart Marked.JPG
Views:	1936
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	24661
      Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

I know Sailun has a very solid reputation. It will be interesting to see how they wear with your heavy application.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

28 Oct 20 / 1,500 Mile Update

So far I do not notice any difference towing the camper versus the previous Goodyear Endurance or even the original OEM Westlakes for that matter.

As noted in an earlier post, I air the tires to 80 psi (cold). While traveling and monitoring tire pressures I've seen the pressures rise to the mid 90s. Since the tire is designed to hold up to 110psi (cold) the pressures even when hot are well within the tire's capability. Whether that translates into more of a "buffer" for the tire's safe operating range is a question for a tire engineer (not me).

Comment

howson

so how are those tires doing now that you have had them for a while?

it’t almost time to replace my four year old Maxxis 0117. Date code.....and I am interested in trying the Sailun!
            Keith and Diane
            2014 Reflection 337 RLS
            2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
              howson

so how are those tires doing now that you have had them for a while?

it’t almost time to replace my four year old Maxxis 0117. Date code.....and I am interested in trying the Sailun!
              Fantastic. I'd definitely buy them again.

FYI I've put 3,700 miles on the tires. Based on Sailun's weight/psi chart I run them at 80 psi (cold).

Comment

howson

Thanks for the update! I think I’ll give them a try.....soon!
                Keith and Diane
                2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                  howson

Thanks for the update! I think I’ll give them a try.....soon!
                  I wrote in post #3 that I'd update this thread with a depth measurement (to indicate wear). I owe that update! Added to my "To Do" list...

Comment

I had about 20,000 miles on my Sailuns before trading to my current Reflection. I kept them at 95 to 100 psi. Way better than the oem Towmax that shed its tread.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

howson Howard,

I've utilized a similar strategy to move from D rated tires on my Imagine to E rated GY Endurance and to inflate them to pressures for the D rated load. The extra plies are more puncture resistant and durable while the tire is not inflated to its maximum sidewall pressure to cushion the coach. So the suspension and chassis are not being abused by tires inflated for a much higher load.

Good choice!

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2021, 07:39 AM.

Comment

18 Apr 21

Hardly any wear on the tires at all after ~3,700 miles (compare pic below with pic in post #1). No sign tires are wearing unevenly so the new alignment on the IS suspension must have fixed that issue (yea!).

Name:	9 32 seconds (Large).jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	51208

Comment

howson - Howard, are those S637s G rated?
                          2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
                            howson - Howard, are those S637s G rated?
                            At 110 psi, yes. See chart in post #3.

Comment

I spent yesterday putting new Sailun S637 "G" rated tires on our 310GK. What a pita. Ordered the tires from Walmart and setup an installation there. Our trailer wouldn't fit in their bay and they won't work outside so I had to bring the old wheels and tires with me.

Used the leveling jack system to get the tires off the ground and dragged my compressor out to the trailer. Took out my (very) old air impact wrench which no longer worked. Grrr. So, lower the trailer again to put the wheels on the ground and break the lug nuts loose with a breaker bar. Raise the trailer again, pull the wheels, insert jack stands and then muscle the >80lb tire and wheel combos into the truck. These are 14 ply dedicated trailer tires and are very heavy. Asthma kicks in so rescue inhaler applied and off I go down to Walmart to get the new tires put on the rims. I had a 9:00am appointment and there were working on my wheels by 9:05. Good service in my mind.

Walmart tech comes over and says his machinery won't dismount my old Westlake tires without ruining the wheel. I check out what he is saying and he is correct, their equipment won't do it. I respect that the tech talked to me without destroying my wheels.

So now I reload my old tires and wheels plus the new tires and off I go to Discount Tires. These guys are fabulous. I would have bought my tires from them originally but they didn't carry the ones I wanted. I leave everything there and come back 3 hours later. They charged $136 to mount and balance the 4 tires and I loaded them back up again although this time with some help from the Discount guy and headed home to put them on.

Each lug nut hand torqued to 120lbs. Re-level the trailer and done. It took an entire day and all of this old man's energy to get this done. When we leave town for the mountains in a couple of weeks I will stop after 50 or so miles and re-torque them. The Sailuns look very good and I hope they last.

I will definitely sell the trailer before it needs new tires again.
                              2017 310GK

Comment

Working...
                              X