Sailun S637 Tires Installed ( 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here...but can any of you guys/girls tell the difference in ANY tire? Like aside from blowouts, which may or may not be the tire's fault, they go round and round and I for one can't tell the difference between any manufacturer. I never wear the tread off, they age out first, they've all had good traction as far as I can tell - the trailer isn't stepping out on me going around corners. I've had Carlisles, Marathons, and Endurance tires. They all seem the same. I switched to Endurance because towing with Marathons at 80mph wasn't smart...but I did a lot of it....quite a bit of it when I didn't know about the 65mph limit on those tires.

So...Howard, what was the main reason to switch from Endurance to Sailun? And..do you see any cracks between tread blocks/ribs? I will be purchasing tires in '23..and happy with the Endurance and being manufactured in N. America (I'm told) I have a preference towards them but keeping an open mind.
    Will the next set you buy be Endurance or Sailun?...or?
    Scott,

Here is a review which visually compares the difference in sidewall stiffness between the Westlake and Endurance tires. A soft flexing sidewall will generate much more heat as well as many other tires design elements. I know Sailun has a good reputation but why not support folks here if the quality is just as good in the domestic brand? The domestic tire will typically cost more due to higher wages and that's OK by me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoJdn9kGdEo

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      I know Sailun has a good reputation but why not support folks here if the quality is just as good in the domestic brand? The domestic tire will typically cost more due to higher wages and that's OK by me.
      I'm with you Jim. I will be spending my $$ on North American produced goods unless there is a definite advantage to the offshore stuff. I have been trying to glean the reason why a lot of RV'ers have been buying the Chinese Sailun over the N. American Goodyear. Maybe it's as you suggest..just price. Howard was obviously going for a higher tire rating - 'G'. I'm good with 'E'.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Scott,

It looks like the Endurance tire in a ST235/85R16 will handle 4400lbs at a pressure of 110psi. This is G territory. I also use the E rated tires at a lower 60-65 psi since they replace the Westlake D rated tires after two seasons and 2K miles. In the last two seasons I have aired up the Endurance tires one time where I really could have kept going based on the inflation tables. The ability to hold pressure is another factor in quality.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
          We also had a Westlake G recently blow at about 4 yrs and 25,000+ miles, roadside rear. Also found curbside rear leaf spring hanger was broken (both legs sheared off and then rotated 180-degrees as the spring end moved forward. Can't say which happened first, the blow out or the broken hanger ( KamFlyer please take a very close look at your hangers)
          Thanks for the tip JBill9694. I did a double check and all hangers are still good
          -Rob-
          -
          Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
          2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
          2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
          Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            We also had a Westlake G recently blow at about 4 yrs and 25,000+ miles, roadside rear. Also found curbside rear leaf spring hanger was broken (both legs sheared off and then rotated 180-degrees as the spring end moved forward. Can't say which happened first, the blow out or the broken hanger ( KamFlyer please take a very close look at your hangers) as the mobile welder I found said that he has replaced several hangers after a blowout on the opposite side. I think that in my case the hanger broke first and lead to the blowout from the tire slightly crabbing its way down the road. Anyways, we got the hanger replaced (J&A Welding in Milton FL was responsive, knowledgeable, efficient and not too expensive) and Discount Tire had Hartlands in stock and at a reduced price. Not the best tires, I know, but we were back on the road after only a 1-night delay.
            JBill9694 How have your Hartland's been holding up? Im getting ready to replace the Westlake G rated original tires on a GD 374TH, and have been considering going to the Hartland all steel G rated versions, but the Sailuns that howson has been touting has me intrigued for sure. What have your experiences been with the Hartlands, to date. (Disclosure: I've had good results with the Hartlands on my other car hauling trailers in D and E ratings but I have no experience with the G rated tires) TIA
            2007 Ford F550 w/ Link Ultraride Air suspension over dually axle, CM Flatbed, equipped with under boxes and top boxes. 2019 GD Solitude 374TH. Demco Recon gooseneck to 5th wheel hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall1 View Post

JBill9694 How have your Hartland's been holding up? Im getting ready to replace the Westlake G rated original tires on a GD 374TH, and have been considering going to the Hartland all steel G rated versions, but the Sailuns that howson has been touting has me intrigued for sure. What have your experiences been with the Hartlands, to date. (Disclosure: I've had good results with the Hartlands on my other car hauling trailers in D and E ratings but I have no experience with the G rated tires) TIA
              No problems to date, but in all honesty, we haven't put a lot of miles on the Hartlands. Between 4 and 5 thousand.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

9 Nov 23
                Long overdue update. Bottom line is I'm very satisfied with the Sailuns. When it's time for new tires they will be my first choice (pending availability).

Only oddity I discovered is the very inside tread is wearly unevenly. I suspect this is due to the torture the tires are subjected to when I back the trailer into the backyard. The concrete is very abrasive and there's ridiculously tight turns required to snake the trailer into the backyard. Hard to see in the pics, but there's actually "humps" in the rubber on that inside tread. It's this way on multiple tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	106
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	123236

According to my records (some of which I didn't post here) based on wear patterns I upped the air pressure from 80 to 90 PSI since the 24 Oct 22 measurement. (Tires can handle up to 110 psi, but no need to go that high IMO given the weight of the trailer.)

Looking at the wear patterns and mileage, my inclination is to stay with 90 psi. I invite your opinion on that plan.

The tires will get rotated in an "X" pattern, too, when I pull them to do the bearings and check the brake pads. That's a future maintenance item.
                Wear data below for those who are into numbers and stuff. Note that each groove was measured three times and the results were averaged.

Views:	88
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	123237

Views:	89
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	123238

Views:	89
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	123239

Views:	105
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	123240

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson, interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Slightly off topic, from the first picture of this thread it looks like you are not using stock lug nuts. What are you using? I'm just starting on a project which will involve me taking off the wheels fairly often, and I'm going to replace the stock 2-piece covered lug nuts.

There is currently a thread on this topic, and I didn't see anything mentioned about the type you appear to be using.
                  I have a 2018 Solitude 310gk. I just had new tires put on and was going to retorque the wheels. I noticed that a couple of lug nuts had what appeared to be a plastic cover over them and would move back and forth. I would like to replace all the lug nuts. Can I do 1 at a time with the tires all on the ground i.e. not jacking the
                  Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                  2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                  2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                    howson, interesting info. Thanks for sharing. Slightly off topic, from the first picture of this thread it looks like you are not using stock lug nuts. What are you using? I'm just starting on a project which will involve me taking off the wheels fairly often, and I'm going to replace the stock 2-piece covered lug nuts.

There is currently a thread on this topic, and I didn't see anything mentioned about the type you appear to be using.
                    Honestly, no idea. They were installed by MORryde way back when the IS and disc brakes were done (right after the '19 National Rally).
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      9 Nov 23
                      Long overdue update. Bottom line is I'm very satisfied with the Sailuns. When it's time for new tires they will be my first choice (pending availability).

Only oddity I discovered is the very inside tread is wearly unevenly. I suspect this is due to the torture the tires are subjected to when I back the trailer into the backyard. The concrete is very abrasive and there's ridiculously tight turns required to snake the trailer into the backyard. Hard to see in the pics, but there's actually "humps" in the rubber on that inside tread. It's this way on multiple tires.
                      I'm no tire tech, but people have told me that kind of uneven wear can be caused by a wheel that is out of balance. Maybe take a look and see if you tossed a weight or two?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
                      X