Sailun S637 Tires Installed ( 315RLTS )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

27 Dec 2021 Update

A recall on Sailun's caught my attention thus (eventually) I ended up back at this thread--time for an update.

First, the recall information is here: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaI...000&refurl=rss If understand the posted recall information correctly, the DOT codes 2020 through 4120 on the applicable tires mean they were manufactured between the 20th week of 2020 and the 41st week of 2020. Mine, as noted in post 1, were made the 49th week of 2019 so (thankfully) the recall does not appear to apply to me.

Tread wear update: the Sailun's have ~7900 miles on them. I measured them this time with a digital depth gauge. Specs online state the original depth is 10/32, so I must have done something wrong on my first measurements as I wrote the tread was 9/32.

What the data shows is the worst wear is on the inside, street front tire and there's slightly more wear on the inside. That's no surprise as it carries the heaviest load due to how the trailer is configured. Even that wear is less than 1/32". (I'll be rotating the tires soon.)

Notes:
    "Wear" is calculated by subtracting the actual measurement from starting tread depth which is now considered to be 10/32 (or 7.93 mm).
    Each measurement was taken four times and the results were averaged.
    There are four "tread" lines in each tire, thus four measurement points per tire.

Here's the data
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wear.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	73026

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson, Howard, you might also want to note the location of where you take the measurement for future reference to the same spot as tread depth may change along the circumference.

Also, I would try to stay several inches from the TWI (usually marked with a triangle or the letters TWI on the side) to ensure the TWI is not overly wide at the bottom of the groove throwing off the measurement.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Also, I would try to stay several inches from the TWI (usually marked with a triangle or the letters TWI on the side) to ensure the TWI is not overly wide at the bottom of the groove throwing off the measurement.
        Definitely noted where the tire wear indicator (TWI) was located and stayed away from it. (I had to look up "TWI"...had me stumped this morning!)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          18 Apr 21

Hardly any wear on the tires at all after ~3,700 miles (compare pic below with pic in post #1). No sign tires are wearing unevenly so the new alignment on the IS suspension must have fixed that issue (yea!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	9 32 seconds (Large).jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	51208
          Hi Howard -

How is the tread wear on your Sailuns - still holding up nicely? I'm replacing my Goodyear Endurance tires soon and leaning towards Sailun S637's.

I'm with you on keeping the rims at 80 psi, to match the OEM specs. (I've got a '21 GD Reflection 337RLS; I've got Lionshead Jaguar Aluminum Wheels, 16 X 6 / 6-5.5 / 3,200 lb. max load, on mine.) I would like to put a little more air in mine but am getting mixed responses on max. pressure the rim can take, from what I've read.

Thanks!

Comment

Copy of Load and Inflation All ST-Modified.pdf

Check your desired load capacity for a pressure.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TedS; 07-13-2022, 06:42 PM.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bobnsue View Post

Hi Howard -

How is the tread wear on your Sailuns - still holding up nicely? I'm replacing my Goodyear Endurance tires soon and leaning towards Sailun S637's.

I'm with you on keeping the rims at 80 psi, to match the OEM specs. (I've got a '21 GD Reflection 337RLS; I've got Lionshead Jaguar Aluminum Wheels, 16 X 6 / 6-5.5 / 3,200 lb. max load, on mine.) I would like to put a little more air in mine but am getting mixed responses on max. pressure the rim can take, from what I've read.

Thanks!
              I'm currently on a trip (5,136 miles towing so far!) so haven't done a depth-check, but without hesitation I'd buy the Sailun tire again and visually (wear pattern) the 80 psi appears right for the weight of my unit.

Bottom line: completely satisfied with the tires.

Comment

I'm currently on a trip (5,136 miles towing so far!) so haven't done a depth-check, but without hesitation I'd buy the Sailun tire again and visually (wear pattern) the 80 psi appears right for the weight of my unit.

Bottom line: completely satisfied with the tires.
                Hi Howard,

How long would you run the Westlakes before changing to the Sailuns with a 310GK? I inflate to 110PSI as suggested by eTrailer. About 9K in two years on the Westlakes.

Charles

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

eTrailer

Should Westlake ST235/80/R16 Trailer Tires be Inflated to Their Max PSI on Sidewall
                Question:
                What is the max temperture the tire can safely operated at? What is the max Pressure can the tire safely maintain? I am entering this information in to a tpms system. I keep the pressure at 110 psi and I have seen pressures of 120 psi is this ok? Thanks, Grand Design 390RK-R

asked by: Steve P

Expert Reply:
                With trailer tires you want to inflate them to the max PSI listed on the sidewall when they are cold and any pressure fluctuations are fine as long as you aren't overloading the tire and are below the speed rating. Yours going up to 120 psi when warmed up is fine. With trailer tires a good max temperature setting is 156 degrees.​
                2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Crespro,
                  Hello back at ya, Charles!

If my info is correct, your 310GK has load range G tires, Westlake ST235/80R16 to be specific. Anecdotal, but failure of that tire seems much less frequent than their E-rated cousin. I ditched the E version that came on my 315RLTS as the cost of a set of Goodyears (the set before the current Sailuns) was worth the peace of mind--I'd have constantly worried about a tire failure with the Westlakes on the trailer so I quickly got rid of them. The Westlakes were purchased by a local contractor with a dump trailer. He was quite happy as he got the Westlakes dirt cheap.

Howard

Comment

Crespro,
                    Hello back at ya, Charles!

If my info is correct, your 310GK has load range G tires, Westlake ST235/80R16 to be specific. Anecdotal, but failure of that tire seems much less frequent than their E-rated cousin. I ditched the E version that came on my 315RLTS as the cost of a set of Goodyears (the set before the current Sailuns) was worth the peace of mind--I'd have constantly worried about a tire failure with the Westlakes on the trailer so I quickly got rid of them. The Westlakes were purchased by a local contractor with a dump trailer. He was quite happy as he got the Westlakes dirt cheap.

Howard
                    Thanks, Howard. My "G" rated tires seem fine, so I may keep them about four years. Appreciate all your excellent posts.

Charles
                    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Just playing devil's advocate here...but can any of you guys/girls tell the difference in ANY tire? Like aside from blowouts, which may or may not be the tire's fault, they go round and round and I for one can't tell the difference between any manufacturer. I never wear the tread off, they age out first, they've all had good traction as far as I can tell - the trailer isn't stepping out on me going around corners. I've had Carlisles, Marathons, and Endurance tires. They all seem the same. I switched to Endurance because towing with Marathons at 80mph wasn't smart...but I did a lot of it....quite a bit of it when I didn't know about the 65mph limit on those tires.

So...Howard, what was the main reason to switch from Endurance to Sailun? And..do you see any cracks between tread blocks/ribs? I will be purchasing tires in '23..and happy with the Endurance and being manufactured in N. America (I'm told) I have a preference towards them but keeping an open mind.
                      Will the next set you buy be Endurance or Sailun?...or?
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                        Just playing devil's advocate here...but can any of you guys/girls tell the difference in ANY tire? Like aside from blowouts, which may or may not be the tire's fault, they go round and round and I for one can't tell the difference between any manufacturer. I never wear the tread off, they age out first, they've all had good traction as far as I can tell - the trailer isn't stepping out on me going around corners. I've had Carlisles, Marathons, and Endurance tires. They all seem the same. I switched to Endurance because towing with Marathons at 80mph wasn't smart...but I did a lot of it....quite a bit of it when I didn't know about the 65mph limit on those tires.

So...Howard, what was the main reason to switch from Endurance to Sailun? And..do you see any cracks between tread blocks/ribs? I will be purchasing tires in '23..and happy with the Endurance and being manufactured in N. America (I'm told) I have a preference towards them but keeping an open mind.
                        Will the next set you buy be Endurance or Sailun?...or?
                        There's absolutely a physical difference from the 10 ply Goodyear Endurance to the 14 ply Sailun, but that may be an "apples to oranges" comparison since the Endurance was an "E" tire and the Sailun is a "G". I make no claims to knowing anything about tires (other than they are round and black for the most part)--but adjusting the pressure per the Sailun chart to match the weight of my camper has worked out well for me and my (heavy!) 315RLTS.

Comment

There's absolutely a physical difference from the 10 ply Goodyear Endurance to the 14 ply Sailun,
                          For sure...but do you notice any difference from the Endurance? Ride quality? Do you notice any cracks between the ribs? I'm asking because of next years tire purchase. My Endurance now have cracks between ribs, yes they are older than your tires, but curious about your sailuns.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

For sure...but do you notice any difference from the Endurance? Ride quality? Do you notice any cracks between the ribs? I'm asking because of next years tire purchase. My Endurance now have cracks between ribs, yes they are older than your tires, but curious about your sailuns.
                            During my most recent brake fiasco the tires were rotated. I also recently did a depth measurement (thread here) so I was "up close and personal" with the tires--other than what was possibly an unusual wear pattern (as noted in the thread) I didn't spot anything else that caused me concern.

Bottom line--no question I'll be buying another set of Sailun tires when it's time (assuming I can get a set).

Comment

Just had our first blowout of a 'G' rated Westlake. They are date coded at late 2017 and we have put approx 24,000 miles on them plus another 1,800 or so the transporter put on. This is the second failure we have had. The first was just a short while ago but fortunately I caught it before it blew. It had very obvious tread separation issues that developed very quickly. Our leg that day was about 500 miles and they looked fine before we left Not so when we arrived. Spare on and planning to get new tires at our next longer term stop. Checking tires very carefully and often as now we have no spare. Short run today, ~ 150 miles. All tires looking good when we left but 20 miles short of our destination and out in the middle of no-where, left rear went with a bang! Got pulled over and stopped very quickly well off the highway. Now the dilemma. What do we do? Our trailer is 3 axles so 6 wheels. Figured I could take the middle wheel off the passenger side as that is the light side to replace the blown tire on the driver side. Limped the last 20 miles to our site for the next few days with no problems.
                              Interestingly, I run a TPMS and no sign of any issues before the bang. Pressures and temp's were well in the normal range. I had also checked the tread temperatures with an IR gun at our lunch stop about 30 minutes earlier and all 6 were showing the same temps.
                              Fortunately the blowout didn't do much damage. We lost a small piece of the plastic wheel fender and it bent the tin behind the wheel well a bit. Easily fixed. No damage to jacks, brakes, plumbing or anything .
                              Now to replace all 6. I think I will go with the Sailun S637's if I can get them here in a timely fashion.
                              -
                              Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                              2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                              2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                              Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

We also had a Westlake G recently blow at about 4 yrs and 25,000+ miles, roadside rear. Also found curbside rear leaf spring hanger was broken (both legs sheared off and then rotated 180-degrees as the spring end moved forward. Can't say which happened first, the blow out or the broken hanger ( KamFlyer please take a very close look at your hangers) as the mobile welder I found said that he has replaced several hangers after a blowout on the opposite side. I think that in my case the hanger broke first and lead to the blowout from the tire slightly crabbing its way down the road. Anyways, we got the hanger replaced (J&A Welding in Milton FL was responsive, knowledgeable, efficient and not too expensive) and Discount Tire had Hartlands in stock and at a reduced price. Not the best tires, I know, but we were back on the road after only a 1-night delay.
                                John
                                2018 Momentum 395M
                                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
                                X