Change axle size from 2 3/8 inch to 3 inch tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change axle size from 2 3/8 inch to 3 inch tube

We have 2 3/8 inch axles and need to replace the rear one that is bent. Our local dealer planned to replace it with a 3 inch tube axle and leaving the other 2 3/8 axle on the trailer. Both are rated at 3,500 lbs.

Is this safe to do? Since the larger axle size would cause the tires to extend a little lower than the other axle is seems like it would be carrying more of the weight. Is this right, or am I worrying about nothing? It seems logical that if changing axle size, both should be changed.

The trailer is a 2019 Imagine 2500RL. I believe that later in the 2019 production run they switched from the 2/38 inch axles to the 3 inch.

The equalizer will balance out between both axles but the geometry between the two axles will be changed. The equalizer will no longer be positioned in a neutral position (assuming a level trailer) but would be canted off center which could limit the travel on the side with the larger axle during maneuvers such as over speed bumps and so on. I would not allow the dealer to do this.

Jim

Comment

I would call Grand Design customer service and check to see if they will replace both axels. I believe there was a discrepancy in the weight of the axels on the Imagines around that time. If your unit is still under warranty this may be the route to go, worth a phone call.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I would call Grand Design customer service and check to see if they will replace both axels. I believe there was a discrepancy in the weight of the axels on the Imagines around that time. If your unit is still under warranty this may be the route to go, worth a phone call.

Brian
        Good advice Brian,

GDRV moved from Lippert to Dexter axles which changed the dimension even though the rating was the same. The rating remains the same in the smaller diameter Dexter due to a heavier tube thickness. My older Imagine has 3 inch 3500lb axles.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I sent Grand Design a message yesterday and will wait to see what they say.

Comment

Working...
          X