Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearings

Repacking bearings and this is what I found. Have not traveled too far since last maintenance.
    Thoughts?
    Dara & Jim
    2016 Reflection 337RLS
    2014 F350
    Conway, SC

This is a good one for our resident mechanical engineer (Rob) to weigh in on.

Cate&Rob - Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

jamieline TucsonJim

The darker colored bearings look like they have been hot. My first guess would be too much pre-load on the spindle nut. Other possible causes could be high speed travel or poor quality grease. In any case . . . these bearings (and races) should be replaced. The “normal” color bearing in the foreground looks fine.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

jamieline

I see you have a 2016 model. Are these the original bearings? How many miles?
        Being as you have been doing the proper maintenance I am curious to compare with mine.
        If they are original bearings Cate&Rob , What would be the life expectancy?
        Would there be a point at which they should be just changed out?

I know , too many questions.....

​​​​​​​Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

To add to this I only use Lucas Red-n-Tacky. I don't travel at high speed (actually had to get my relatives to slow down after they blew two tires).
          I don't believe I have the spindle nut too tight but willing to look at it.
          Actually all the bearings are showing the same signs. Doing the last wheel tomorrow.
          With what you are saying maybe the preload is the answer as all are showing issues.

After you seat the bearing, how much do you back off the nut?

Thanks
          Jim
          Dara & Jim
          2016 Reflection 337RLS
          2014 F350
          Conway, SC

Comment

Country Campers
            Hi Brian,

Properly maintained bearings and races will last for a long time. If everything is well greased and correctly pre-loaded, there will be virtually no wear. We are dealing with “antique” technology with serviceable and hand packed bearings, but the interaction between bearings and races is essentially the same as modern sealed bearings which last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Unless there are signs of over heating (discolored) or contamination (scoring) or damage to the bearing cages . . . it is better to reuse a bearing that is obviously properly fitted, than to install a new one (in my opinion).

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

How are you putting the @ in?

Brian,

These are not original bearings. Installed disc brakes a couple of years ago.
              Never have had an issue.

I will look harder at my preload.

Jim
              Dara & Jim
              2016 Reflection 337RLS
              2014 F350
              Conway, SC

Comment

jamieline
                Hi Jim,

The spindle nut should be barely finger tight. The process is to tighten the nut to 50 lb-ft while turning the hub to make sure that the races and bearings are properly seated an all extra grease is squeezed out. Then loosen the nut until there is a very small amount of perceptible “play” in the hub. The reason for this is that all the components will expand slightly as they come up to operating temperature. If you were to re-check this hub that had a small amount of play when cold, when it is at running temperature, there will be no play.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by jamieline View Post
                  How are you putting the @ in?
                  Type the @ symbol and then slowly type the first three characters of the individual's forum name. A list should pop up for you to choose the right person, like this: jamieline

Click image for larger version

Name:	example.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	25021
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Thanks

Rob, didn't seem to work with yours.
                    Thanks for the information. Going to look closer at how I preload. Might be the issue. I looked around for some videos and found one with similar marks. Not sure I would reuse like he did.
                    I am replacing all the bearings.

Jikm
                    Dara & Jim
                    2016 Reflection 337RLS
                    2014 F350
                    Conway, SC

Comment

jamieline
                      Hi Jim,

The most difficult part of replacing the bearings is getting the old races out of the hub and pressing the new races in. The races must be replaced if you replace the bearings. Unless you have the tools for this, consider taking your hubs and new races to an automotive machine shop to get this done.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I replaced all my bearings and races with Timken brand. I've grown to trust Timken as one of the better bearing manufacturers out there.

JIm
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

One trick to make getting the races in a little easier is to put the races in a freezer for a few hours and when ready, put them into a large cup of ice, then warm the hub at the race seat, then pop that puppy in using either brass, wood, or heaven forbid an actual race tool.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, that is what I have read. Hearing you have had good luck with them I will move that way.

@Cate&Rob Doesn't want to work for me.
                            I have had good luck replacing the races and do it when bearings are replaced.

Jim
                            Dara & Jim
                            2016 Reflection 337RLS
                            2014 F350
                            Conway, SC

Comment

Originally posted by jamieline View Post
                              @Cate&Rob Doesn't want to work for me.
                              Another way to tag is to use the format
                              {USER="5"}Cate&Rob{/USER} Replace the { and } brackets with [ and ] to get it to work.

The key is knowing the individuals user ID. To find that, click on their name in any post to bring up their profile. Their ID is in the URL. (So Rob's ID is 5. Yours is 360.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	profile.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	25070

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X