No announcement yet.

Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a helpful video in how to service wheel bearings. With two exceptions: Use a torque wrench to pre-load the bearing per the specifications in your manual rather than the "Full hand force method" and be sure to apply grease to the running surface of the new seals. Its critical to replace bearings and races as a set and to properly pack and adjust the new bearings.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      jamieline
      Hi Jim,

The most difficult part of replacing the bearings is getting the old races out of the hub and pressing the new races in. The races must be replaced if you replace the bearings. Unless you have the tools for this, consider taking your hubs and new races to an automotive machine shop to get this done.

Rob
      I used a bearing race punch (link below) to drive my races out on my 337's hubs. I drove the new race in with a block of wood and finished seating them by placing the old race on top of the new one along with the block of wood. I replaced all components with Timken brand, cost was significantly more but I felt they were better quality. I've used a brass drift before but its too soft to me, the new punch not brass and it is also oval on one side so it has more contact on the edge of the race when its being driven out to keep from slipping off.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M22DM6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
      Steve & Martha
      2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

sc7903
        Welcome to our owners technical forum.

Good advice on that tool ! I didn’t even know that existed, but the design makes sense. I will be getting myself one of those. Agreed on the limitations of a brass drift on a tight race. Bin-ther-dun-that.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Whatever method or tool is used, if using a drift, its important to dress (grind) it to not nick up the inner surface of the drum or rotor. I use a brass drift dressed to fit the curvature of the hub and one time had to use a steel punch to get the race moving. This tool was also dressed or ground to avoid marring the hub surface.

Installation can be a challenge by the novice where the bearing race can rock off center. This requires some initial finesse to get the race initially installed and once centered can be driven in with a drift or with an installation tool as seen below.
          https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Bearing-R...16&tag=mh0b-20
          Or for those that are not comfortable with all this pounding, take the drums or hubs to an auto parts store and have the old races driven out and new ones installed. This would cost somewhere around $10/drum if bearing races are provided.

Jim

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. That's what is great about the forums. I always thought I was careful not to over tighten the bearings but comparing my old method and what I have seen I may have been.

Now I have more tools to buy.

Jim
            Dara & Jim
            2016 Reflection 337RLS
            2014 F350
            Conway, SC

Comment

Working...
            X