Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do I need to grease wheel bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do I need to grease wheel bearings?

We have the Grand Design 23BHE
    How often do I need to grease wheel bearings?
    2021 GD 23BHE

The bearings need to be serviced according to what your owners manual says. You likely never need to grease them.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Most manufactures say 1 year or 12,000 miles. The bearings need removed , cleaned , inspected , and repacked with grease , new seals installed as well. It is important if you are doing this yourself to keep the bearings in the same place as they were when removed. Do not use the grease zerk on the end of the axel. Using the grease zerk you may push grease passed the rear seal and then getting grease on the brakes, this is not good.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This is really a tough one since the annual repacking is mostly recommended for inspection or 36000 miles for my Lippert axles. I repacked my wheels on my 2017 Imagine in its first year when the leaking seal issue was a popular topic. Then again three years later. Since the DW and I are still working, we may travel a thousand miles each year, and to camps that are from 20 minutes to 4 hours from home. This year when I inspected the bearings to re-pack, they looked like new and the grease was also holding up perfectly. So currently, I will stay on the three year plan at 3K miles which is really over servicing the axles based on miles.
        Once we retire and begin snowbirding, I will inspect and repack each year prior to the long sustained drives.

So this is really based on your comfort level whether to run to the recommended miles or to inspect at reasonable intervals.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2020, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Thank you all!. I will leave this to the dealer when I service the unit but will I'm glad I'm now educated about this so I can ask them about it post ~15k miles
          2021 GD 23BHE

Comment

Working...
          X