Re-torque lug nut frequency question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-torque lug nut frequency question

For past two years I’ve been checking and adjusting as needed my rig lug nuts before departing each campsite. It’s not common for me to find one or more that needs any tightening and I’m getting tired of doing this every time when it seems that (although I am somewhat OCD) it may not be so necessary so often. Any and all experiences, suggestions, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Schiefswret
    Hi Dave,

Lug nut torque doesn’t change much after the first re-torque. That first one is important after the wheels have been off because weight and rotation will “adjust” their fit. (Same as your truck). The factory information will say to check every time you travel, but after the torque stops changing . . . what are we checking? I check mine at about 50 miles and again at about 300 miles . . . but not regularly after that. Important to note that this is just the opinion of one owner.

Consider that your truck manufacturer probably wants the lug nuts re-torqued once after the wheels have been off . . . but not after that.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here's the opinion of another owner who's been pulling towables for over 30 years. When I remove a wheel, I retorque it to 100 ft-lb. Then, I check it again at about 25 and 100 miles. And I do one final check when I get to my destination. If I'm on a long trip, I might recheck them every week. If you're just getting the slightest movement, the lug nuts are fine.

The dynamic forces on a trailer wheel are much different than they are on a towable with two axles. Some time, watch the wheels on the towable when you are in a sharp turn. One is pointed one direction, and the other will be at a different angle. This puts a lot of force on the wheel studs/lug nut/wheel interface. That's why you'll frequently see your torque wrench move quite a bit on the second check after the wheel comes off.

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Here's the opinion of another owner who's been pulling towables for over 30 years. When I remove a wheel, I retorque it to 100 ft-lb. Then, I check it again at about 25 and 100 miles. And I do one final check when I get to my destination. If I'm on a long trip, I might recheck them every week. If you're just getting the slightest movement, the lug nuts are fine.

The dynamic forces on a trailer wheel are much different than they are on a towable with two axles. Some time, watch the wheels on the towable when you are in a sharp turn. One is pointed one direction, and the other will be at a different angle. This puts a lot of force on the wheel studs/lug nut/wheel interface. That's why you'll frequently see your torque wrench move quite a bit on the second check after the wheel comes off.
        Rob and Jim, Great info that will save me a lot of time. As usual you two, and some others, are an invaluable asset to GD owners. Thanks again!
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

When we did our CRE3000 upgrade it included new 9/16" studs. We were advised to check them after about 75 miles and they were all loosey goosey. I then proceeded to check them before every outing for about a year. The first few times after changing studs each wheel took some torque. After about 3 or 4 times, the torque values have settled to where this check is only performed about twice a year now with no to minimal torquing required.

I will repeat my every trip check for a few trips when I change tires.
          2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by JeffC View Post
            When we did our CRE3000 upgrade it included new 9/16" studs. We were advised to check them after about 75 miles and they were all loosey goosey. I then proceeded to check them before every outing for about a year. The first few times after changing studs each wheel took some torque. After about 3 or 4 times, the torque values have settled to where this check is only performed about twice a year now with no to minimal torquing required.

I will repeat my every trip check for a few trips when I change tires.
            Thanks Jeff. Ever since I switched to GY Endurance tires I checked the torque before leaving to our next campsite and in each case for 5 or 6 instances there was a minimum of one stud that needed some degree of tightening (causing my original post) to hit the 100fp mark. However, as mentioned by several here, as time went by that number needed snugging got fewer and fewer and at my last departure it was zero. So it seems that as suggested I’ll check them less frequently but nevertheless will not ignore the importance of some level of periodicity monitoring. Thanks to all who contributed!!!
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Don't forget to also check the U bolts until they stabilize.

Jim

Comment

JeffC
                I can certainly see where replaced wheel studs would have to be monitored closely . . . it takes a lot to pull those in all the way.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X