Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 22MLE Tire Size/Lug nut sizes

Hello!

We recently purchased a 2021 22MLE, and I am looking to purchase a torque wrench for the lug nuts on the trailer. (trailer is currently in storage) What size are the lug nuts on the tires? I believe they are 1/2" but wanted to see if I can confirm before purchasing the torque wrench.

Another newbie question, I see the tires are Nitrogen filled, can they only be filled with Nitrogen or can I fill with my portable air compressor?

Thank you!

Hi Morgey. Welcome to the forum.

I purchased my torque wrench at Lowes. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, and this is my favorite:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-...-lb/1000259431

Most lug nuts are either 5/8" or 13/16". But I'd recommend the following kit from Amazon. It covers almost all lug nuts out there. That way you can use it for your RV, tow vehicle, foreign cars, etc. And the kit is only $18.

https://smile.amazon.com/LEXIVON-Imp...s%2C205&sr=8-4

You most certainly can fill your tires with regular shop air and it won't hurt a thing. The nitrogen is kind of a marketing gimmick and most owners don't go the time and expense of keeping their tires filled with nitrogen.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim,

Thank you for the quick response as well as the links. I have a Lowes up the street and ordered the kit you suggested.

Many thanks!
      Brad

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Hi Morgey. Welcome to the forum.

I purchased my torque wrench at Lowes. I've owned quite a few of them over the years, and this is my favorite:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-...-lb/1000259431

Most lug nuts are either 5/8" or 13/16". But I'd recommend the following kit from Amazon. It covers almost all lug nuts out there. That way you can use it for your RV, tow vehicle, foreign cars, etc. And the kit is only $18.

https://smile.amazon.com/LEXIVON-Imp...s%2C205&sr=8-4

You most certainly can fill your tires with regular shop air and it won't hurt a thing. The nitrogen is kind of a marketing gimmick and most owners don't go the time and expense of keeping their tires filled with nitrogen.

Jim
        I use this torque wrench as well. Works great for the truck and trailer. Air is 79% nitrogen so I never bought into that lol.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Um, lugnuts are 3/4" or 19mm (either works.) From my days in a tire shop I have a 19mm / 21mm (3/4 / 13/16") "flip" socket, 2' breaker bar, and 6" extension. This fits both the trailer and truck.

One more thing to check - see if the lugnuts on the spare tire are the same size as the wheels. Mine weren't.

Yes, you can use your air compressor. Air is 79% nitrogen.
          2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by mbopp View Post
            Um, lugnuts are 3/4" or 19mm (either works.)
            Yes, you can use your air compressor. Air is 79% nitrogen.
            Well while it's true I use only my air compressor on all my vehicle tires, its' not that there's more nitrogen in a "nitrogen filled" tire but rather less oxygen.
            What they want you to by into is that the oxygen content breaks down the tire compounds much quicker than just nitrogen alone.

Certainly something to think about, just not too much.

Robert and Chris
            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post

Well while it's true I use only my air compressor on all my vehicle tires, its' not that there's more nitrogen in a "nitrogen filled" tire but rather less oxygen.
              What they want you to by into is that the oxygen content breaks down the tire compounds much quicker than just nitrogen alone.

Certainly something to think about, just not too much.

Oxygen inside doesn’t make a bit of difference. I’ve dismounted a lot of tires and the inside always looks brand new. It’s UV light that ages tires.
              John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Actually the Nitrogen filled tires have "less" of a temperature effect on the psi of the tire while traveling or sitting. Meaning the temperatures do not effect the Nitrogen as it does Oxygen.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Oxygen inside doesn’t make a bit of difference. I’ve dismounted a lot of tires and the inside always looks brand new. It’s UV light that ages tires.
                  You are correct about UV radiation but my reference was to the fact that oxygen attacks the 'components of the tire like the steel belts and the rim itself, mainly where the tire bead mates up. Most of us never keep a tire long enough to see these things occur hence the statement "think about it but not too long".
                  Robert and Chris
                  2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                  2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by morgey0 View Post
                    Hello!

We recently purchased a 2021 22MLE, and I am looking to purchase a torque wrench for the lug nuts on the trailer. (trailer is currently in storage) What size are the lug nuts on the tires? I believe they are 1/2" but wanted to see if I can confirm before purchasing the torque wrench.

Another newbie question, I see the tires are Nitrogen filled, can they only be filled with Nitrogen or can I fill with my portable air compressor?

Thank you!
                    Not sure what your experience with torque wrenches is but if you purchase a mechanical click-type wrench then remember to always unload the setting when you store the wrench. By unload I mean to turn it down to the lowest setting.
                    Chip
                    2021 Reflection 260RD
                    2015 Ram 3500 cummins, dually, AISN tranny

Comment

Working...
                    X