Trailer air bags - never seen topic discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer air bags - never seen topic discussed

I was under the trailer today giving my next plan (wiring back up lights ) some thought - got side tracked looking at the suspension. I have never heard of air bags being discussed - only shocks for trailers. Was just wondering why they or some of the other systems are not used like bumper stops etc. Just curious. Thoughts?
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda
    Hi Keith,

Air bags are "springs". Shocks are "dampers". Two different things. Air bags could be used alone or in conjunction with leaf springs to carry the weight of the trailer. In the early discussions about how to better support the heavy side of our 303s, we discussed adding an airbag to the heavy side. Adding airbags to a trailer suspension would allow adjusting trailer ride height . . . which would be an interesting ability to have. Thinking about the Airlift bags and wirelessly controlled compressor that I added to my truck, this system could relatively easily be added to the trailer and would allow you to adjust trailer ride height from the driver's seat .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have been thinking about the same thing. I am now looking at the sumo springs brand product it is not an airbag but a hard rubber product similar to a bump stop. It is supposed to help body role and dampen or cushion the leaf spring bounce. My original plan was shocks but I still have not made up my mind.
      2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

I ordered the sumo spring for trailers (which is not a spring at all) and will post my experience with them. They maybe a complete waste of money and time. I am also ordering the x bracing from moyryde. I have always had torsion axles with shocks on my RV and they pulled so much better than springs and you were not worried about breaking hangers.
        2017 F250 Diesel Superduty SRW SWB
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Bumps stops, shocks and a dedicated airbag suspension would be great on these rigs where the reason they do not exist is cost. Imagine (pun) how nice it would be to level the rig side to side at the campsite with a dedicated airbag style suspension. All trailers should have enough travel built in to handle rough roads where bump stops could prevent floor contact on rough boondocking sites.
          I would have already installed shocks and bump stops on my Imagine but the 0.23" square tube is a concern.

Jim

Comment

Guest -- have you seen MORryde's SMARTryde system? It's exactly what you're referencing. I'd post the link to the video but the demo is on an RV from a manufacturer that if mentioned here might get me banned for life.

In YouTube, search for the term "SMARTryde" and you'll see a video titled iFlex SMARTryde Walk-Through

We'll never see this type of system on an Imagine (or even Reflection) IMO.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Guest -- have you seen MORryde's SMARTryde system? It's exactly what you're referencing. I'd post the link to the video but the demo is on an RV from a manufacturer that if mentioned here might get me banned for life.

In YouTube, search for the term "SMARTryde" and you'll see a video titled iFlex SMARTryde Walk-Through

We'll never see this type of system on an Imagine (or even Reflection) IMO.
              Howard,

I did see it at the rally and was very intrigued. It was still in development when I had seen it where cost would not be a factor on a high end unit that they were displaying. A lower cost version could be made for the rest of us but its unlikely to happen.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

When we were working through ways to adjust ride height and side-to-side levelling for units with significant side-to-side weight difference, airbags for the trailer received considerable discussion. This would be easy to fabricate, but no available system was known (at the time). As well as adjusting trim for travel, this same system could be used to level the trailer at a campsite before deploying stabilizers. A minor air leak or even pressure change with temperature would have to be considered. An automatic pressure monitoring system such as the AirLift controller and compressor could handle this.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X