Goodyear Endurance ST235/80R16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear Endurance ST235/80R16

I have some Westlake that were purchased with the RV in May. I have monitored the pressure in these tires and they will not seem to hold pressure. Two weeks ago I put air in all tires to 80 psi. The RV has been idle, but all of the tires are down in the low 60's for tire pressure. This is the third time I have put air in the tires to get them to 80 psi only to have them loose about 15 lbs of pressure and hang in the low 60s. When I drive, the pressure goes up to the low 70s. Never get back to the recommended pressure. I understand the pressure will go up as I start to drive, but they should not lose that much air pressure in a two week period. There may be a valve stem problem on these tires.

I am about to take trip with my family to the mountains. I know these Westlakes are a new tire and I have warranty on them all all that jazz, but I have now hit a worried status about them. Tires are the most important safety feature of my 2020 295rl. I am thinking of purchasing the Goodyear Endurance which I hear really good reviews on. Right now I have the 225/75R16 tire. I was thinking up going up to the 235/80R16 tire for a little more beef in the tire. I am running 295rl about 10,000 lbs.

Any thoughts on upgrading the tire a bit? Any affect on the RV going up a slot on the tires?
    Last edited by FreddieMac; 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM.
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD / 2020 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 295RL

Well, the good news is that GDRV isn't using the Westlake tires on the Reflection line anymore. All new ones are coming equipped with the Goodyear Endurance tires. It sounds like you just missed the switch over...

A 15-20 pound loss of pressure in two weeks is pretty significant, and I've not experience this, even with the Westlake tires.

First, if you filled those tires up to 80 PSI when it was hot out or the tires had been in the sun for a while, it would be expected for them to drop down into the 60+PSI range when they cooled off.

If temperature changes can't explain the PSI differences, I'd certainly evaluate no only the tires, but also the wheels. I'd remove each wheel and immerse it in a swimming pool or tire tank to see if there are any air bubbles coming out of the valve or the wheel itself. Since these are a cast wheel, it is possible that there is some porosity allowing air to escape through the casting in the wheel. But it would be highly unusual for all wheels to be leaking.

I'm betting the pressure differences are due to temperature differences. That is why all tires are stamped with a maximum pressure "while cold".

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

To have all tires losing more pressure than can reasonably be explained by temperature change is very unusual, regardless of brand. I wonder if the problem is your tire pressure gauge? Losing a couple of PSI (at the same temperature) per month would be normal.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am glad they made the change over, good for GD and owners. It is a very good move.

Everything has been filled during the Louisiana summer and the tires are sitting in the shade right now. I understand their will be fluctuation, but this seems a lot. For example. I bought the RV in late May. The dealer filled the tires properly to 80 psi. I took the camper out the next weekend. The TPMS alerted me the pressure in one tire dropped to 66 psi. The atmospheric temperature was not that different to account for the change. I assumed it was just that the dealer did not fill that tire up. So I did. Two weeks or so later the pressure is back down in the low 60s. I filled it up again, three weeks later they are all back in the same condition, low to mid 60's. I am using a Tireminder TPMS and I manually check the tires before each trip with a hand held Slime electronic pressure gauge. It might be the pressure gauge, but I am not sure.

Right now I have the 225/75R16 tire. I was thinking up going up to the 235/80R16 tire for a little more beef in the tire.

Any thoughts on upgrading the tire a bit? Any affect on the RV going up a slot on the tires?

Comment

Originally posted by FreddieMac View Post
          Right now I have the 225/75R16 tire. I was thinking up going up to the 235/80R16 tire for a little more beef in the tire.
          GDRV spec for tire clearance is 4” with an unloaded trailer. There have been reports of tire to body contact with loaded clearance of less than 3”. I would suggest that you measure the clearance that you have today loaded for camping and calculate (based on tire OD comparison) whether you will have more than 3” of clearance with the larger tires.

Rob

Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by FreddieMac View Post
              Any thoughts on upgrading the tire a bit?
              I find it interesting that GD used 225/75R15 tires on your trailer as it has a GVWR of 10,995lbs. My '19 315RLTS has the same GVWR but came with 235/80R16s.

Cate&Rob -- the 295RL comes with 15 x 6 5.5 wheels. My 315RLTS has 16 x 6 5.5 wheels. If FreddieMac goes with the 235/80R16 tires, does he have to change out the wheels, too?

Click image for larger version  Name:	wheels.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	26179
              Last edited by howson; 08-03-2020, 07:55 PM.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I don't think they make a 225/75-16 trailer tire. Our 315 came with 225/75-15
                2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
                  I don't think they make a 225/75-16 trailer tire. Our 315 came with 225/75-15
                  Typo--fixed it. Thanks! Interesting that your and my trailer came with different size wheels and tires.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Typo--fixed it. Thanks! Interesting that your and my trailer came with different size wheels and tires.
                    They started using 16" about 2 months after we bought ours.
                    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post

They started using 16" about 2 months after we bought ours.
                      Ugh. Isn't that always the way it happens? Lots of changes in the 2019 in the second half of the year, so my "19" is different from later '19s. Drives me crazy...changes should be by model year or at least have an alpha identifier, i.e. 2019A, 2019B, etc.

Comment

Do you know when GD will start installing Goodyears? We are set to order a GD Imagine 2800BH but would like to have these tires over the Chinese ones. I bought a set for my former Keystone for out west and they were great.
                        Last edited by BlackHelicopters; 09-21-2020, 11:29 AM. Reason: Grand Design has been great answering our questions. They replied that there are no plans to install Goodyear tires on the Imagine product line but have started placing them on the Reflection line. Oh

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHelicopters View Post
                          Do you know when GD will start installing Goodyears? We are set to order a GD Imagine 2800BH but would like to have these tires over the Chinese ones. I bought a set for my former Keystone for out west and they were great.
                          Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

The only way to know for sure if a new 2800BH coming off the production line will have Goodyears (or a different brand due to shortages?) is to call GD Customer Service and ask. If this is a critical decision (purchase) point, you might want to get it in writing (from the dealership) that Goodyears are a condition of finalizing the purchase.

Finally, since I see this was your first post, please take a moment when you get a chance and check out the forum's Welcome Letter--lots of info on how to get the most out of this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Comment

Working...
                          X