2020 2800BH Metal Valve Stems/Balancing tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I am not running pass through sensors. I never saw the value in this technology and a few years back, they were not very reliable. Removing a non pass through sensor is as easy as removing a valve cap and provides a test of the sensor which should trigger an alarm while I top up air pressure. Hopefully the latest generation pass through sensors are better than they used to be.

BTW . . . don’t get me wrong . . . I am not a big fan of the TireMinder hardware that I have. Lots of “loss of signal” warnings. Even so, over the years, the sensors have found two slow leaks, so have done their job. My comment was only WRT these sensors being OK on rubber stems (which TireMinder agrees with)

Rob

I had the same thoughts about the pass through vs the cap style. I ordered the TST system. They’re kind of large and goofy but we’ll see how they perform. Thus far just running around town the signal has been solid with the repeater on the tongue.
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Sill question..

MikeG90, how'd you take the tires to them? One at a time? Two (one from each side), One whole side?

I'm up for replacing tires next year, and I'm trying to figure out a method other than drop it at the dealer.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
        Sill question..

MikeG90, how'd you take the tires to them? One at a time? Two (one from each side), One whole side?

I'm up for replacing tires next year, and I'm trying to figure out a method other than drop it at the dealer.
        When I take mine in for replacement, I jack up one axle at the spring mounts just enough for the tires to clear and remove the tires on that axle. Once complete, I reinstall them and do the other axle. Of course, this method requires two jacks.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
          Sill question..

I pulled the whole trailer over to them and they did the work in their parking lot. I only have one jack so it would have taken too long otherwise.
          Mike & Kristyn
          '20 Imagine 2800BH
          '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
          ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
            I'm trying to source metal valve stems for my rig (2020 2800BH) to use with passthrough TPMS. I did some hunting around on the forum but came up empty. Discount tire said they do not stock metal valve stems but they would install them for free if I provide them (thats pretty awesome). Can anyone link me to some that will work with the wheels on these trailers?

Also I asked them about balancing and they said they don't recommend balancing trailer tires but will do it for me if I ask. Curious as to what the consensus is about balancing the tires.

Thanks!
            I have had two tire shops tell me they don't recommend balancing trailer tires. One being Discount and the other whose primary business is trailer tires of all sizes. I'm using the TST Tire System and agree the non-passthrough monitors are very easy to deal with.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

OK the force has left me and I even tried to Google to get the answer. Maybe I need more coffee? Can someone please enplane the differences in the sensors (pass through verses others) with the pros and cons. I know some mount inside the tries (OEM Ford) and others replace the valve end cover.

I am trying to understand this better so when I order my new truck this spring I can decided if I want the Ford trailer TPMS option?

BillinTexas

Balancing is important for any tire - improves wear and saves suspension wear. Also saves the shaking up of the trailer interior - several U-Tube vids on this topic. I am surprised Discount gave that advice. My store recommends it. Several of my Westlake tires took quiet a bit of weight.

Stay safe and happy travels
              Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post

I have had two tire shops tell me they don't recommend balancing trailer tires. One being Discount and the other whose primary business is trailer tires of all sizes. I'm using the TST Tire System and agree the non-passthrough monitors are very easy to deal with.
                Interestingly I bought my Endurance tires from Discount. The store I bought them at by my home in Illinois did not balance them. I picked up a bolt and had one replaced at a Discount in Montana and they balanced it lol so who knows.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                  OK the force has left me and I even tried to Google to get the answer. Maybe I need more coffee? Can someone please enplane the differences in the sensors (pass through verses others) with the pros and cons. I know some mount inside the tries (OEM Ford) and others replace the valve end cover.

I am trying to understand this better so when I order my new truck this spring I can decided if I want the Ford trailer TPMS option?

BillinTexas

Balancing is important for any tire - improves wear and saves suspension wear. Also saves the shaking up of the trailer interior - several U-Tube vids on this topic. I am surprised Discount gave that advice. My store recommends it. Several of my Westlake tires took quiet a bit of weight.

Stay safe and happy travels
                  Keith
                  I think pass through means you can put air in or out of the tire without removing the TPMS sensor that is screwed onto the valve stem.

I can personally vouch for the Ford system. I have it and love it. I had a add on TPMS system that posted to my cell phone previously and it was fine (still going strong on my father in laws rig), but it is so nice just having it on the dash and not needing to remember to turn anything on. Only downside I would say is no temp monitoring, but the usefulness of the temp at the valve stem is debatable anyway. I just check the bearing housing with a gun at my fuel stops and call it good.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X